Public charter
Scottsdale, AZ
Before care: Yes

Posted November 25, 2014
BASIS ranks among the top schools in the US because there is accountability on all levels from teachers to students & parents. The academic program is rigorous but students are never alone facing the challenges of the advanced curriculum & heavy workload. Student support is available through teacher hours, study groups, peer tutoring & counseling. They are taught to be responsible students, have great work ethics and take pride in their accomplishments Yes, BASIS kids have fun too! Boosters are active & organizes monthly events. With nearly 60 extra curricular activities inc. sports & clubs kids are active & happy. As parents, BASIS is an economical win for us. My kids are getting a top education for free. My oldest daughter is only freshman but she is focused on getting into the college of her dreams. It's costly dream but attainable. BASIS students graduate with enough AP credits to be considered incoming 2nd semester freshmen or sophomores in college. With tuition nearly 50K annually at top colleges, that's a huge savings for parents. Many BASIS students are offered full-ride scholarships. This school is amazing and my kids have a bright future thanks to BASIS!

Posted November 23, 2014
We are thrilled with Basis Scottsdale! Our children are learning in an environment that encourages and rewards effort and results. The focus is on academics, where it should be! Teachers are dynamic, passionate, knowledgeable and often young, right out of grad school. My kids' favorite thing about school is their teachers! That said, there is some turnover, but it is excellent that when a staff change is needed it happens quickly, with as little disruption to the students as possible. At this school it is cool to be smart, and good grades are celebrated regularly. That is the message that I want my daughter and son to value and strive for. Much of the peer pressure and social issues at typical middle schools is avoided here due to the kids' priorities being elsewhere. There are a great many extracurricular activities and fun events also. Recently there was a dodgeball tournament, off site carnival, and Halloween party. There are no uniforms but fashion doesn't seem to be priority even here in Scottsdale.

Posted August 08, 2014
Last year, BASIS underwent a massive expansion with BASIS schools all over AZ, and some in other States. BASIS Corporate trains their teachers at BASIS Scottsdale, and then have them move to these new school, hence a higer turnover rate at BASIS Scottsdale. More recently, a huge blow to BASIS Scottsdale was Mr. Sullivan resigning! While, its a given that BASIS Students are considered cream of the crop, and no doubt they work harder than an average student, BASIS students suffer having these teachers leave (some even leaving middle if the school year!). The school is top notch with rigour and academic excellence - rated number 1 charter school in the US. No it's not for everybody, and requires time, effort, and energy! We've been happy academically but very worried that one day, BASIS management will shoot itself in the foot and will compromise its standards!

Basis Scottsdale 2

Posted April 30, 2014
Basis is a school with a curriculum designed to teach a very narrow spectrum of students. The program is highly academic teaching on average one to two years ahead, homework intensive and heavily weighted in Math, Science and core subjects. I would say Basis is the polar opposite of a liberal arts education. Basis is a good fit for very disciplined, highly academic youth. Very difficult to balance the work load with extracurricular activities and sports.

Posted April 27, 2014
BASIS is a great school, but like previous people have said the school is not for everyone. I am in 9th grade and we only have 76 students in our grade and last year in 8th grade we had 130. BASIS teachers are great and they do help their students a lot. BASIS may not have the best sports program, but they do have some unique sports opportunities. For example, BASIS has an amazing cricket team and a track team that is has won first place in all of their meets. BASIS also offers volleyball, field hockey, varsity basketball and badminton.

Posted April 02, 2014
I love this school, academically very high. Teachers are very nice and helpful. I am really thankful that we have schools like Basis here. I don't need to help my child , teachers always help them.

Posted March 25, 2014
I am a BASIS student myself and I am in seventh grade. I think this school has taught me a lot of things other than the standard textbooks and facts. It has also taught me how to speak in public, how to be competitive, and mostly, how to manage time. These are all important life skills that I have learned so far in this school. I do NOT recommend people to go here who expect "A high school experience" because the curriculum is rigorous and I find myself doing homework and studying about 5 hours everyday. Also, BASIS DOES NOT have the best athletic department (if you are looking for a good football team, basketball team etc.) Although they do provide these activities, it isn't professional. Also, I agree with some people that the school can become overcrowded in the hallways. However, if you put it in that light, many things is wrong with the school. However, if you put it in the light of getting into a good college, thy are definitely hard-core training all their students. So, if your child IS PREPARED to work hard and stay up late, this school is for them. Otherwise, steer clear!

Basis Scottsdale 4

Posted January 22, 2014
This school is great, kids proudly call themselves nerds. As a parent I believe you can count on your kids getting smarter, responsible and fully prepared for college. However you will also see that Basis kids who are average at Basis will somewhat suffer competing for scholarships and college admission as compared to less knowledgeable but with greater GPA than Basis kids. I however will still recommend Basis because I personally would want a kid who has grown into responsible hardworking child as compared to someone who has greater GPA due to less challenging curriculum.

Basis Scottsdale 3

Posted December 30, 2013
Basis is a great school. I came from a 'gifted' program in Phoenix. When I started in fifth grade, I was overwhelmed. Gradually, I learned how to study and achieve good grades. I also found a group of friends who were focused on their academics but still sociable. Without Basis, I would have been a completely different person. Now, I am in eighth grade. The bar has been extremely high since APs have started. I can't find much time for myself anymore, because I spend so much doing homework. Some teachers are great, and I couldn't ask for anything better; others are unprofessional and not knowledgeable at all about their subject. When I was in fifth grade and our history teacher left, a drama teacher filled in for him for the last couple of months! The board just cares about grades, and the students have to work harder just to receive a good grade. The campus itself at Basis is another downfall. They recently renovated it, but the halls(cramped and crowded) are even more dysfunctional now. Overall, this is a school that may work for some people, but it has been very hard for me to attain a 4.0. My suggestion is to keep your student there for middle school. Hope this helped!

Basis Scottsdale 4

Posted October 20, 2013
My daughter's school is Bsis charter school. I love it how hard teachers work with students. Principal is very nice and he takes his students seriously. Overall I am very happy with teachers, principal and course.

Basis Scottsdale
11440 N. 136th Street, Scottsdale, AZ  85259
Last modified Basis Scottsdale is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Basis Scottsdale Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 169 reviews. Top