Arcadia Neighborhood Learning Center

Public | K-8

Posted November 9, 2008

My children are now in the 5th and 3rd grades at ANLC; both kids have been there since kindgergarten and have thrived in this caring environment. I especially appreciate the multi-age classrooms which have allowed my children to establish a strong relationship with adults. At the same time, it allowed us, as parents, to create a relationship with their teachers. Because of our kids ages we were lucky enough to be with Mr. Welch for 5 years. I would recommend ANLC to any parent who wants a school that expects and wants parent involvement.

Posted June 14, 2008

My son attended this school for 9 years. He is going on to high school and will be in all honors classes. I attribute this partly to the education he received at ANLC. I am looking forward to my daughter attending next year.

Posted May 28, 2008

I am a parent of 3 students at ANLC. Through our years of schooling I have realized that each child learns differently and succeeds in different ways. It works for us and I am continuing to learn stratagies to help with home learning and parenting strategies as well. ANLC has helped my children become successful learners as well as successful humans! It is all encompassing. If you have an open mind to a new style of learning almost Montessori then this school is for you. Leave all that you remember from school behind you. My children have thrived here!!

Posted October 4, 2007

After observing the different classrooms at ANLC, I could sense the caring, trust, and respect that the teachers have for their students. I was impressed with their ability to turn over their classrooms to the students, facilitating them, as they took responsibility for their learning. It was evident that the teachers are experienced in creating an intrinsic environment where their classroom runs itself. Therefore, allowing them more time to work 1-on-1 with students and focus on each childs individual needs. It was also visible that they have taken the time to teach and facilitate social learning and accountability. ANLC's positive atmosphere and great sense of community is what every child needs to instill a strong foundation for a love of learning. It's a family school with a child-centered philosophy that is creating successful and competent learners. This school is truly a blessing for all children.

Posted May 29, 2007

ANLC is a great progressive learning environment for kids that do well without too much structure. They learn at their own pace and are encouraged to stretch their boundaries. My child has a reading disability and the school has been fantastic in helping him overcome it and reach his potential. Can't recommend highly enough. My only concern is that the long time principal retired and they have not been successful in finding the right fit for the school.

Posted May 15, 2006

My son is in kindergarden at ANLC and he loves it. Everybody is friendly and just enjoys going to school and will miss it during breaks and summer.

Posted November 16, 2005

This is a great school for a gifted and self-motivated child. There are some talented teachers here with the ability to effectively execute the school's very labor-intensive learning paradigm. Other teachers adopt a more 'laid-back' approach which results in spotty education for some.

Posted August 17, 2005

My son went to kindergarten at ANLC. Because he had a first-year teacher, it is a bit unfair to blame the school for the general chaos that ensued the first half. The school in general is lovely, but sometimes tends to seem a bit unsuccessful in their disemination of information to parents. We, parents, found that often we were unaware of what was going on until another mentioned it. I would have liked to see more music and sports programs available after school before my child would go to Kids Club.

Posted June 21, 2005

A fantastic and enriching social environment where the academic curriculum is less of a strength.

Posted May 3, 2005

This was by far the best expderience in my child's education.

Posted April 7, 2005

We have friends whose children attend this school. They love it, because the teachers provide a loving supportive enviroment and address issues that the children may have.

Posted March 29, 2005

I am an elementary education student at ASU and I interned at ANLC in the Fall of 2004. I have volunteered and observed in many classrooms and the classrooms at ANLC rate at the top of my list. The teachers know how to teach specifically to each student and they know how to center their curriculum to include each and every student. Exploration Fridays are amazing and I believe that anyone who is considering this school needs to attend on one of these days. I really feel as though ANLC is one of the best schools in Phoenix right now and any parent who has the opportunity to send their kids to ANLC needs to jump at the chance.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted November 29, 2004

My child went to ANLC for 4 years, then moved to a new school this year. I am appalled at the gaps in my child's knowledge base. ANLC is proud that students work to their 'personal best', and they therefore fail to hold students to high standards and help them to reach those standards. I said repeatedly my child was not doing well (below grade level), and they kept saying it was fine, this was a 'personal best.' In the new school, my child is flourishing and learning so much more. Please do not send your child to ANLC unless they are bright and highly motivated, and you are planning to spend much time furthering their education. For the average or below-average child, their deficiencies are hidden (why some parents love it), but they will not reach their full potential. Also, ANLC is very cliquish, despite their claims to the contrary.

Posted August 7, 2004

I am a former student at ANLC, my age is 20, I am now persuing my bachlors degree in Engineering, graduating this year. ANLC has given me one of the best foundation in knowledge, independence, and values than other schools and colleges that I have attended. ANLC gave me the oppertunity to advance tremendously in subjects that I had the most potential while allowing me to learn other subjects at my own pace. I was given the chance to persue 8th grade math, while in 7th grade, yet was able to continue with other subjects in 7th grade.I never felt that I was less able to excel in math though I was slow to learn other subjects.I feel that the teachers and staff have supported me in every way.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 17, 2004

I enrolled my child in ANLC at the recommendation of 2 schoolboard members that I had spoken with regarding my concern about large classroom sizes. While the class sizes were better, I found that there is a very loose discipline policy there and problems with bullying were not adequately addressed. Lunchtime in the cafeteria was also very loud and unruly. As far as the quality of the education -- who knows? I haven't a clue what (if anything) my child learned there....at least not academically. Only positive side -- there was alot of parent involvement, programs and $$ to support it all. I found that the trade off --smaller class size vs. a 'loosy-goosy' school environment was not at all worth it. I only hope that my child will be able to catch up with his classmates when he returns to his former school with the larger classes.

Posted May 14, 2004

I think this is a great school. The administration is wonderful as well as the activities our children participate in.

Posted April 26, 2004

All 4 of my unique children have attended or are currently attending ANLC. ANLC is a school about choice. The teachers are highly qualified and very dedicated. Children are encouraged to make good choices and are given many opportunities to do so, ranging from what book to read to how to present a project in a way that works for that child. Once my daughter, a budding actress, went to school dressed up as Eleanor Roosevelt to present her project. But it was the wrong day! Her teacher allowed her to present and she was never made to feel bad about the experience. I never would thought that my shy son would be able to stand up in front of his class and present his opinion on a current event confidently- but he did because of the self-confidence he gained at ANLC.

Posted May 21, 2003

Both my children have gone to ANLC since they were 5 years old. ANLC is a school where the children come first. Each child is encouraged to do their personal best without being labeled as the smart or dumb kids. The teachers are highly skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child. The middle school kids at ANLC do not have to worry about drugs as all teachers and staff are always watching what is going on. Their principal, Carolyn Repp is kind and knows each child by name. She is a great example of a leader and I will miss seeing her everyday as my daugther graduates this year. Thank you ANLC for bringing out the best in my children and giving them the encouragement and confidence they need to go out into the world!

Posted April 3, 2003

The lack of financial involvement by the parents (50%) makes this school not feel like a Scottsdale District school. We believe there are a number of compromises made here, which are detremental to the school.

Posted March 28, 2003

I have been very pleased with the educational experience of both my boys at ANLC. They remain excited about school, feel safe, love learning even after 5 years of school, and take full responsibility for their actions as a result of this program.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options