Arcadia Neighborhood Learning Center

Public | K-8

Posted today

In just the past week, I heard from an alum who said that ANLC changed his life; from a Mom who talked about how the presence of strong, creative Moms redefined her notion of the PTO Mom; from a teacher who is overwhelmed by the outpouring of help she is getting in her time of need; from a parent who is getting answers from fellow parents to complex medical questions. There is no question that the education your child will receive at ANLC is top notch. My kids thrive here, they enjoy learning and thirst for more. They are rewarded for creativity not conformity! They work collaboratively, something that is being lost in the "back to basics" schools in favor of drills and worksheets. My kids are exposed to a plethora of activities, cultures and new experiences through amazing PTO programs like Exploration Friday and Art Masterpiece, etc. But if I had to put my finger on the one thing I would miss if I had to move away and take my kids to a different school, it would be the community. It is a family and we care about each other, each other's kids, our teachers, our staff and your kids too, even if they don't go here. I truly believe we are making Arizona a better place.

Posted March 16, 2014

This school is perfect for those who want an alternative to the traditional school and for kiddos who may not fit into the traditional mold. The learning environment is creative and project-based. The families are down to earth. We have been at school since 3rd grade, however, do not feel confident about the environment at this point. We like that the middle school kiddos are separated from the lower school kids, however, we do not have a good feeling about our son's 6th grade experience. We are unsure of the what happens in the classrooms. My son says that he spends most of his day talking to his friends in class and does not appear to complete his classroom work. He gets nervous about changing classes because so many of his friends like to wrestle and yell in the hallways at school. We have tried to talk to teachers and administration and are told that our son is fine and he is in a great place. We are curious if anyone else is having similar experiences? We are thinking of finding a school with more structure for next year.

Posted February 23, 2014

We want to love ANLC but are struggling to get past many of it's faults. It has many wonderful programs that distinguish it from other schools, we have had one really good teacher, the new campus is beautiful, and there are a small community of families that do all they can to make it a wonderful place. However, although the leadership is accessible, it is weak. Decisions need to be made and problems need to be resolved, not just discussed. Discipline is very relaxed and ineffective. We have also had a teacher that was lazy and disengaged. It is certainly a school that is in transition. For us it's still better that many of the other Valley schools, but it could be so more with real leadership.

Posted January 21, 2014

It is important to recognize that when one is truly confident with a given choice, in this case an educational fit, they feel no need to angrily defend their position. Comments like "completely off base", "your child needs more discipline", Veritas is right down the street", are certainly unfortunate and do not reflect well on the ANLC community. It is wonderful the previous reviewer has found a good educational fit for their family. Some of us had a very different experience at ANLC. Both positive and constructively critical feedback are outstanding tools for process improvement. Defensiveness closes the door on learning.

Posted January 19, 2014

The reviewer who believes that ANLC students spend "precious hours catching up" when they get to high school is completely off base and clearly doesn't know many ANLC graduates. ANLC students do extremely well at Arcadia high school and many take honors classes. In fact, the valedictorian of Arcadia high school a few years ago was an ANLC graduate. There are 10 eighth graders and one seventh grader taking honors GeoTrig (10th grade math) at Arcadia high school and doing very well (I can speak for my son and one other who are both making A's). My slightly nerdy children have yet to be bullied once at ANLC and my oldest is an 8th grader! So the "rampant bullying" comment is also absurd. Seems there is a propensity to exaggerate the negative experience of one child and draw inaccurate conclusions about an entire school. If your child is ready to learn, ANLC is a wonderful environment where learning is celebrated. If your child is in in need of more discipline, then Veritas is just down the street!

Posted January 19, 2014

As a parent and professional who has worked with countless schools, I can easily state that the commitment of education at ANLC is beyond that I have ever experienced elsewhere. It is not a school for every child and I am convinced that those who rated this school low had different expectations than what the school could deliver. It's main goal is to create self-motivated, self directed learners. Teachers look at what is in the best interest of the child. Even with the ridiculous demands imposed by the state and district, (class size, testing, new rules), ANLC is working to hold true to it's origin. I have never seen a school which embraces students, parents and staff members to do what is in the best interest of the child. Spend some time attending one of the Celebrations of Learning and you'll know what I mean. ANLC is a leader is progressive education. SUSD's standards based report cards were started at ANLC over 20 years ago! Enrichment class, projects, differentiated learning, independent projects, - they've been doing it for decades.

Posted January 18, 2014

We did a lot of research before enrolling our 1st grader in public school. We chose ANLC because of the educational philosophy, the sense of community, diversity, and child-centered environment. As a non-conformist, I liked the fact that the kids were not expected to walk in lines. As it turned out, it was a really rough experience for our child, who felt unsafe, lost, unclear on the expectations, routines, and schedules. Chaos. He cried every single day in class and felt harassed by other students. I spent time in the classroom and was underwhelmed by the quality of the instruction. Class size was enormous and there were many high needs students, but only one teacher. I learned that our child needs structure/sense of order, clear expectations, and some nurturing...and he didn't get those at ANLC. That said, I was impressed by my interactions with the administration and have several friends who have had fantastic experiences at ANLC. It's all about finding the right match between classroom/teacher and student needs. Could be a great school with a mediocre classroom teacher.

Posted October 10, 2013

This is not your school if you are not among the gifted or self motivated. The idea of a K-8 school a good one, howver the Progressive Learning Environment doesn't work well for the student needing structure. Many of ANLC's graduates are not well prepared for high school and spend precious hours "catching up".

Posted July 15, 2013

My child went to school at ANLC for Kindergarten and 1st grade and neither year was anything to be proud of. His kindergarten teacher LOST him TWICE because he wandered out of class. She also thought he was a bit "slow" no matter what I said to her until she gave him a reading test and he passed with the highest grade in the class. 1st grade was even worse! I got no communication from his teacher even after he was diagnosed with some emotional and learning disabilities. Other parents told me they had similar problems in which she would complain about the child having problems in class, make a plan to get in touch once a week with updates and then change her mind about how the child was doing and say the communication was no long necessary. This school was suppose to be really awesome and progressive and all I've found so far is that the teachers make snap decisions about a child and forget them.

Posted February 4, 2012

Absolutely love ANLC. Both of my boys have attended this school since K. The K-8 experience is so important because it allows the students to interact with each other outside their grade level. The teaching staff is very supportive of each other, and recognize the responsibility they have to all students. Teachers also look at the whole child. Parent involvement is evident throughout the school, and the Principal, Vice Principal and office staff are very approachable.

Posted September 22, 2011

2 kids at this school, first year, attracted to mixed-age classes, some Montessori influence in teaching, and afterschool activities. We LOVE ANLC. Principal is very involved/engaged; teachers are positive, professional, accessible and communicative; parents are all over the place volunteering; very active/organized PTO. The happiness seen on kids faces at school speaks volumes and when they don't want to go home at the end of the day, you know they love school! Each child is assessed for abilities, and cirriculum is customized to provide interventions or academic challenges for remedial and advanced needs. Every level appears to be served. Diverse activities, balanced homework with fun, tons of activities and opportunities for families. Sense of community is tremendous. Hoping academics are rigerous enough; but the love of learning is certainly fostered. Only complaint is there aren't enough hours in the day to participate in all the wonderful things going on there! One must see and experience the school to truly appreciate the unique environment ANLC offers.

Posted May 23, 2011

I am a former student at ANLC. Now I am 21 years old working on getting my Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education. I went to ANLC from kindergarten through sixth grade, went to a middle school in 7th grade and hated it, and I convinced my mom to send me back to ANLC for 8th grade. ANLC is a fantastic school - I can say with confidence it prepared me for high school, college, and beyond very well. I know some parents may be uncomfortable with the idea of multi-grade classrooms, but this is what I loved most about this school. I got to stay with a teacher for more than one year, and I formed deep friendships with my classmates due to the fact I got to stay with the students in my exact grade for more than a year. It is a beautiful campus with wonderful, caring teachers. I can honestly say I did not want the school year to ever end as a student.

Posted April 17, 2011

I have had 3 kids go to ANLC. 2 are currently in High School ...one in all Honors and AP classes. They both made a very successful transition to Arcadia High. I have one child still at ANLC. This school provides challenging academic opportunities and a community of learning that can't be beat. Feel lucky if your child gets in. Some of our kids also went to Hopi for K-5...we liked Hopi but we LOVE ANLC. Love not having to switch to Ingleside.

Posted March 11, 2011

This has been a great experience for our K student. She has excelled with the multi-age communities by being pushed to do more by her peers as well as supporting others. There is a great sense of pride, community and respect among the students. This school promotes positive social skills and involvement with others of all ages. The teachers have been amazing and the principal is very involved and enthusiastic about the school. The parent volunteers have provided incredible experiences for the children and are able to be involved in day to day activities. There is NOT a cliquish attitude with the parents, they are diverse, and passionate about caring for the school and ALL of the students. Coming from a Montessori program, we are thrilled with the communication and involvement for the parents which was seriously lacking in the Montessori school. We are very pleased and excited to spend the next 8 years here AND in a brand new facility!

Posted January 13, 2011

This school is the best kept secret. The multi-grade classroom approach requires cream-of-the-crop teachers so most teachers at ANLC are more highly skilled than your traditional classroom teacher at Hopi or Kiva. Kids are really stretched and inspired and allowed to go way beyond the "standard" curriculum for their grade level. (A lot of ANLC's teaching philosophies are based on gifted students learn) My daughter's teacher has a PH.d and is PASSIONATE about instilling a lifelong love of learning into young minds. Strong community of (mostly) caring parents and high quality of kids.

Posted May 3, 2010

My son attends kindergarten at ANLC and absolutely LOVES it there. My 4 year old already loves it there and has met MANY friendly kids on the school grounds before and afterschool. We have had numerous positive experiences at the school from the groundskeepers to the principal, We also are blessed to have an experienced teacher who is PASSIONATE about teaching, It is contagious!. I feel the culture at ANLC is very positive. There are 'bad seeds' everywhere... The 'PTA' has spend a lot of effiort fixing up the grounds. It is looking nicer all the time...I think sometimes people/parents expect everything without pulling their own weight in helping teach and inspire their kids, volunteering their time, experience, $ to help fix the problem. We are so grateful for ANLC and all the staff and families that have embraced us there!

Posted April 14, 2010

My daughter is in kindergarden, school yr is almost over thank god, I haven't been very satisfied however I think it definitely depends on the teacher.

Posted March 15, 2010

As parents with children at this school, we think ANLC is best described as unrealized potential. One of our children has done quite well here; an experienced teacher and the right Gleam makes all the difference. The other child has not been so lucky. Two duds as teachers--if you're connected and teachers like your child, you have the potential to soar. For those on the outside, you're at the mercy of placement and inexperience... with teachers who lack the ability to engage, communicate, control bullying (we've seen it too), or motivate your child to do his/her best work. The motto 'do your personal best' works better in theory than practice. We wish our experience matched the school's reputation, but have been disappointed.

Posted March 5, 2010

I am in our 2nd year as a parent of a 1st grade boy. We LOVE it. I have volunteered in our classroom, but not in other school activities. I feel communication with our teacher (ms. gramer) is great. Email - newsletters - phone, she is easily accessible. I would definitely recommend her! My son definitely ISN'T a bully, and hasn't complained at all about being bullied. When I walk through the halls to pick him up after school I'm impressed by the middle schoolers. I personally went to Cocopah in the early 90's and think these kids are definitely on the GOOD side of the MS spectrum. I hear the occasional cuss word, and boy/girl interest, but nothing horrible. The school size is small, so you recognize everyone (kids, adults) if you walk on campus, too. The combined ages are what I absolutely LOVE. I think it's a great school.

Posted April 20, 2009

My daughter is in kindergarten and I am a single parent with no other children. I have found the lack of communication by my child's teacher frustraing. I tried on several occasions to contact her about parent teacher conferences and never heard back from her. Not having any specific feedback regarding her progress towards the end of the year and no follow through on a behavior plan mutually agreed on has left me less than satisfied about her current school and teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options