Scottsdale, AZ

Posted December 10, 2014
We love Desert Canyon Elementary. We have a 5th grader and 3rd grader who have been there since Kindergarten. The teachers, administration, staff, and PTO are wonderful. They focus on building character as well as academics. Great community! Great school!

Desert Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted July 06, 2013
My child has special education needs and Scottsdale school district made him worse. They put him in a program with emotionally disturbed boys, all in grades above him. The class was always chaotic and the teaches were always stressed. My son received little academics but learned bad behaviors. If your kid has an IEP. Move. I am!!

Posted August 06, 2012
I have two children in Desert Canyon and they've been in the school for 4 years. For the most part, I think the teachers are fantastic. The environment is warm and nurturing but the kids aren't coddled. I would like to see greater consequences for children who are disruptive in class or are poorly behaved. I am disappointed with the turnover in administration and a change in the assistant principal again this year but for the most part, I think the administration runs a great school. The parents are very involved and the PTO has been fantastic in raising money to supplement curriculum with great programs like Accelerated Reader, Art Masterpiece, etc. In general, the kids and families in this school are wonderful and my children have really enjoyed their experience in the school. Is the school perfect? No, but what school is.

Desert Canyon Elementary School 3

Posted August 05, 2012
We have one child attending Desert Canyon. He was in Kindergarten last year and will return as a 1st grader. Overall, we were satisfied with the school and the curriculum, activities, etc. However, his K-garten teacher had very poor communications skills, seemed disorganized (almost dazed and confused at times) and completely ignored emails and other messages even though she initiated the email and solicited communication - she rarely responded to our inquiries. In speaking with other parents, this particular teacher is notorious for this strange behavior and is not reflective of the overall school performance or focus. This year, there is an uproar over the creation of a split Kindergarten / 1st grade class due to a staff shortage and so far no teacher has been assigned only two days before school starts. To make matters worse, none of the parents were notified prior to learning about this new structure. Rather, parents learned about it when the class lists were posted on the cafeteria windows. This school continues to have terrible communication with the parents in spite of their claims to the contrary. In short, not a bad school, but not one of best by any means.

Desert Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted June 07, 2012
I'm a grandparent of two newly enrolled students in your school. Of course I have an interest in my grandchildren's success but as well as a former elementary school principal I'm interested in the academic opportunities offered ie. curriculum enrichment, club programs, athletic skill development, practical out of school field trips, invited guests etc. Certainly, my motivation in this day and age would be to emphasis/foster a keen interest and understanding re: the value of math and science. Take care.

Posted February 13, 2012
I have 4 kids attending this school and have been very pleased. Except for 2 teachers in our 6 years there, all the teachers have been outstanding. The 2 bad teachers were fine academically but were mean to the students. They have both been teaching too long and should be retired, but I think you will find a few teachers like that anywhere. The parents are really involved and the administration is good. The vice principal is on top of bullying issues and other problems but is fair and friendly. I highly recommend Desert Canyon Elementary!

Desert Canyon Elementary School 3

Posted September 20, 2010
My son started Kindergarten at DCES this fall. He absolutely loves his teacher and enjoys going to school. As a parent, I am unsatisfied with the class size this year. Right now DCES Kindergarten has 25 in each class and could go to 27. In addition, they have eliminated instructional assistants from the classrooms. If my child will be in a class of up to 30 kids in coming grades, I will be looking into charter or private school options.

Posted October 30, 2009
I am surprised with a few posts here. To each his own... but I find my children's school and staff excellent. The principal has tough rules, but to me that is great! The teachers thus far have been terrific. I am very pleased and my children are happy, and thriving! Thank you DCES staff!

Posted October 21, 2009
Excellent, caring teachers!!!!

Posted October 12, 2009
Desert Canyon Elementary has a very diverse teaching program, including special needs classes for kids with learning disabilities and kids with ADD/ADHD that require more 1:1 attention. All this in addition to providing extracurricular activities/afterschool activities that help to broaden and enhance the children's self-esteem/knowledge (band, Spanish, Chess, monthly ball sports, tennis, science, etc.).

Desert Canyon Elementary School
10203 E McDowell Mountain Ranch, Scottsdale, AZ  85255
Last modified Desert Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Canyon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top