Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We have a child in the Self contained gifted program at DCMS and couldn't be happier. He is flourishing under the excellent instruction and personalized help from the teachers who work as a close-knit team. Highly recommend!

We had a child in the self contained gifted program. This school was unfortunately a failure. After two years (2012-2014) of trying to work with staff and faculty we eventually had to leave. All the ingredients seem to be there, good teachers, nicely equipped campus, etc. However there is a huge disconnect between the needs of the children and the administration. It was very disappointing to find that asking to work with faculty and staff on behalf of our children was met with aggression, intentional bureaucracy and a generally negative reception . There was an embarrassing lack of understanding of well established education principles and child assessment methodologies. Total lack of any skills in how to work with the children and families. A great disappointment.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

it appears there are good teachers, but they seem to be greatly diminished by the administration

Amount of homework: Disagree

there is an inappropriate amount of work that causes undue stress and has questionable educational value. Horrible systems and support for tracking assignments, no assistance from teachers or administration for kids he need to develop better organizational skills. Unlike the low income schools throughout the area, there is no parent checklist/signature system for helping students complete assignments

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The campus feel more like a prison than an uplifting educational environment. They seem to value conformity and test scores above true education and the needs of individuals.

Fabulous school experience for my kids. School environment is positive, gifted program excellent, teachers & staff engaged.

I have children in both private and public schools, as well as a daughter in college. Two of my kids attend this school and are moving to a different SUSD school for the 2014/2015 school year. Disappointing issues with the school include: outlandish student/teacher ratios (38:1); lack of responsiveness from the teachers (after several e-mails over the course of three weeks did not receive a response until I copied the principal); poorly designed curriculum (not the school's fault because they are bound by SUSD policy/rules but disappointing none the less); overly lenient grading practices; lack of communication with parents from teachers and administration. This school will not do your children any favors if they attend a competitive high school program (IB or AP course study).

On Tuesday 2/25/14, three 11-year-olds were held in a room and interrogated by the vice principal and a police officer. Please check with your children to see if any of them were held. Parents were NOT notified by school officials or the police.

My child was a happy, energetic student who could not wait until school started each day. Unfortunately, attendance at DCMS has changed all of that! The Assistant Principal singles out certain children (unfortunately my child is one of them) and no matter what the children do it is not right. They are policed by the security guard, watched in the cafeteria at lunch, and receive some sort of nonsence reprimand once or twice a week. My child's spirit has been broken! It is horrid! Bathroom visits are not even permitted sometimes in times of urgent need! (What I am saying here is female students personal hygene needs are being ignored and disrespected)!! Even when my child has explained why a trip to the restroom is urgently needed it has been denied! And my child is not the only student this has happened too in just the past 2 months! The SUSD really needs to conduct some serious retraining at this school or in the alternative replace some of the personnell!

I am a student here at DCMS and boy, am I glad that I'm finally moving on to HS next year. It seems like the administration really does not care about you, and if an incident happens at the school, their views become very biased. They favor certain students and totally dislike others, including me. I'm not a bully or a bad kid by any means, but a certain incident happened in which nobody was really a victim, but they totally stretched the story and made ME out to be the bully. While sharing my side of the incident, they kept calling me a liar throughout and threatened to mark me as an argumentative and rude student. They told me to tell the truth and be more like the other student who was involved, and while he got off easy, I received a longer suspension. When I was allowed back on school grounds, I noticed that the vice principle and security officer would eyeball me whenever I ate lunch in the cafeteria. I now feel like I can't go to them if I get bullied or get involved in a situation. The teachers, however, are great for the most part. They seem to be good, hardworking people who are dedicated to their job and are excellent teachers.

Last modified Desert Canyon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.