Scottsdale, AZ

Posted December 03, 2014
I go to this school and it is truly an amazing experience to be at Desert Shadows

Posted October 27, 2014
Amazing leadership which trickles down to super teacher morale! The principal is no nonsense, is very open with the parents and truly, genuinely cares for his students!

Posted October 04, 2014
I am a student at Desert Shadows Middle. It is one of the best schools I've ever been to! All the staff is AMAZING and really nice. they all try hard to do their best and help the students succeed. The administrative staff is the best there is. they do their job, they're involved, they know whats going on, and they are fun and active with the students, unlike anyone at Sunrise Middle school. The reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg is just one out of the many things this school does extra. I am over all EXTREMELY happy with this school. I came from Liberty Elementary, the main feeder school of sunrise (But a LOT better), and am SO happy I didn't go to that dump. Long live DSMS! Long Live The GWIGEON

Posted April 17, 2014
My kids and I have been extremely happy with DSMS! Most teachers are wonderful, caring and dedicated. The principal and vice principal are amazing! They set a tone of professionalism, leadership and acceptance. They set high standards for the teachers, staff and students. I feel my kids have been challenged academically and are prepared for high school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 30, 2013
Desert Shadows Middle school is a rock solid community with great leadership. Our open enrolled 7th grader is very happy and challenged here. Principal Clancy's inclusive model sets the tone for kindness and acceptance. All are actively encouraged to get involved in the community and most students, teachers and parents do! Children are happy to attend school because they know that the administration and staff care. It is not surprising that kids excel in this type of positive environment. Desert Shadows offers many unique programs and opportunities that aren't available in most middle schools. These programs are fun, educational and foster community. Go on a tour, you won't be disappointed with it's high academic standards and inclusive environment.

Posted October 25, 2013
Great school with a staff that really cares. Very happy. Moving from a small charter school we are very happy with this school.

Posted August 27, 2013
My daughters went to Desert Shadows Middle School. They graduated from college and became successful professional women, a CPA, a lawyer and a dependable, high earning real estate company employee, all now in Houston . I chose my neighborhood based on the reputation of "A++ Blue Ribbon Sandpiper Elementary, DSMS Middle School and Horizon High School. The oldest has a double major in Finance and Accounting from SMU, the middle one, a double major in Journalism and history with an advanced degree as a lawyer from the University of Arizona, and my youngest is about to sit for the CPA and graduated from Arizona State University. I am pleased with the education they received at these 3 schools.

Posted April 26, 2013
This is an amazing school for any child. We moved to Scottsdale from Portland, Oregon (Beaverton School District) and the difference between going to their schools is like night and day. The Academies are amazing and we had one daughter in Choir and the other in Art. They care about the Arts in Arizona, the community cares, and the teachers and the children are so involved. PV School District is amazing and I have heard Scottsdale is wonderful too. Our daughters are special needs and they are really supported at this school. They have extra time for all children to visit with their teachers each day in all classes and talk to them, catch up on whatever they are behind in...From the other parents I have talked to the other Academies - are wonderful too. If you have a child with high academic skills this school is great and leads into Horizon High and it is amazing too!! I love that there is open enrollment and you can make a choice as to what school you wish to have your child go to. The teachers have been here forever and they stay...athletics.. Mr. Clancy, Principal, Ms. Sardina, Mr. Goldblatt - they have amazing teachers!! We are so thankful we found DSMS!!

Posted September 06, 2012
Did You Notice The Rating? It's the leadership. When you have a good leader that believes in team work... that believes no one is above the other, you get a very caring community. EVERYONE here REALLY cares! My daughter is open enrolled & I believe leaving our area for a fresh new start was the best thing I could have done for her. She knew (1) person at the start of school in admin. She is typically quite & on the shy side. With in a day her teachers made her feel so comfortable she was sharing answers, reading to the class and making friends. She even had a few kids (she never met) come up to her at lunch (day 3) and ask if she wanted to eat with them. REALLY! The caring community of the school is rubbing off on the kids. My own experience while waiting after school for my daughter... The media center is in the center of the main building. Lots of windows to see in. I noticed a boy working on a computer and we caught eye contact. He smiled and waved to me. REALLY! Bottom line... Principal Clancy & his staff are very caring & giving. They treat the kids as if they are their own. They want everyone to excel ... No matter the level. My daughter LOVES it here.

Desert Shadows Middle School 1

Posted August 02, 2012
If you have an academically advanced or gifted child, this is NOT the school for you. My son attended K-6 gifted programs in this district, only to be "thrown to the wolves" at this school. No one in the administration, nor science, math, or language arts departments knew anything about educating a gifted child. I reached out to DSMS admin & teachers to try to find an appropriate academic plan for my son, to no avail. My son's assessment was: If you are in "honors" classes, you have 100 vocab words instead of 50! Precisely the point! The teachers are more interested in "playing high school", with their misguided departmentalization, than they are educating high-achieving children.

Desert Shadows Middle School
5858 E Sweetwater, Scottsdale, AZ  85254
Last modified Desert Shadows Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Shadows Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top