Scottsdale, AZ

Grayhawk Elementary School 4

Posted January 20, 2015
I have been at this school for many years, and the one thing that needs to change is the front office staff. They are very rude. They don't even acknowledge most parents when they walk in. If you ask for help, they act like you are bothering them. The only time that they act nice is when the principal is right there, or one of their "friends" comes in. There is one who has been there a long time (too long), and she seems to train all the new ones to act like her (sour). I don't know why the principal puts up with it. The classroom teachers are great, though! They have a real handle on core knowledge, which sets this school apart academically.
3 people found this helpful

Grayhawk Elementary School 2

Posted October 22, 2014
There is a reason the enrollment numbers are down...besides the total lack of leadership, where the leadership will listen to parent concerns but do nothing about them, the reason enrollment is down is because the two ladies at the front desk are cold and unfriendly, unprofessional and have been give way too much power by the leadership. It's hard to believe that one in particular is the "greeter" for the school with her bitter and unhappy personality.
2 people found this helpful

Grayhawk Elementary School 3

Posted October 03, 2014
This school has gone down hill since the old principal left. There are still some amazing teachers but they are few and far between. Ever since the new leadership, or should I say lack of leadership, amazing teachers have left the school. There used to be strong cores of amazing teachers within a grade level - that is no more. The current leadership will listen to your concerns but do nothing about them. If your kid is considered "gifted" take them elsewhere. There's been a change in Honors and it's not for the better. It's so sad to see a school deteriorate.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2014
If you are looking for a public school that provides your child with a solid education Grayhawk is it! We have had four children at Grayhawk and they have all been successful despite varying needs and abilities. The teachers are caring and willing to reach out extra to meet a child's needs. In addition there is a fantastic strings, band and choir program. The leadership is responsive and appropriate when problems have arisen. No school is perfect but Grayhawk is a very solid choice!

Grayhawk Elementary School 1

Posted January 24, 2014
I agree with comments other parents made...this school is in a downhill spiral since the long term principal left. This is my second child in the fourth grade and our teacher does not communicate with parents. Grayhawk is touting they are a technology school and this grade does not use there websites, they do not communicate homework clearly, they do not send newsletters to parents. At any given time I know more about what is going on in the PTO than in my child's own classroom. There are no parent volunteers in this grade and the parents are kept out of the classroom. I know people chose this school because it rates highly on rankings but there is nothing special about this school. I am not impressed.

Posted December 05, 2013
a lot better than pinnacle peak, which is one of the worst schools ever, this is an extremely good school expect for Assistant Principle Miss Sherwood, who is WAY over protective

Grayhawk Elementary School 4

Posted November 28, 2013
Grayhawk continues to be a great school!! This is our 7th year there.We have 2 children there currently. All of our teachers have always sent out weekly updates on what the children are learning, we also receive info. throughout the week via email. I have 1 child in the gifted honors program, as well as one child with a learning disability. Both my children receive a lot of attention for their very different needs. Whenever I have asked to meet with any of the educators they have always made time to meet with me. Sure Mr. Heimstra was great, but Mr. Pratt is as well. He is very involved and cares very much about the school, the kids, and the families' concerns. Unfortunately it only takes a couple of people to cast a very long shadow on a good light.(BTW-I see many reviews with a lot of typo's-LOL). We really like the families and kids at Grayhawk. We moved to Scottsdale from a very progressive east coast city and have been happy with the "down to earth" families we have met here, many who are new to the state as well.

Grayhawk Elementary School 1

Posted November 01, 2013
I agree with the last post completely! This school was once amazing, until Mr. Hiemstra left a couple of years ago. It is so sad that a school of such high calibre was left in the hands of really poor leadership. The school has gone so downhill, the proof is in the the low enrollment numbers. The only good thing left at that school is the PTO!

Posted November 01, 2013
I disagree with the previous posts. We moved from another school this year and so far we can tell our son has improved a lot. In the first quarter we have seen good changes on our child. There will always be things that parents don't approve about school. Nothing is perfect but we are more than happy with the school. Especially after moving from an expensive private school where we didn't achieve as much as we have here so far.

Posted September 26, 2013
The teachers are very caring and my son enjoys going to school every day. I can see how much my first grader has learn is great!

Grayhawk Elementary School
7525 E. Grayhawk Dr., Scottsdale, AZ  85255
Last modified Grayhawk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grayhawk Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top