Sedona Red Rock High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 1, 2014

Having had 3 children in this school beginning in the late 90's until the present (our son is a Junior) I'm here to tell you how much it has deteriorated in so many ways. The administration has turned over a lot during this time and it has gotten progressively worse. They give a lot of lip service to tolerance and diversity but only if it follows their liberal and ungodly direction. The physical plant (buildings, locker rooms, baseball /softball fields, and open spaces) are an embarrassment for a school located in what is supposedly an affluent town. The so-called discipline grid is hypocritical and selective. The academics (if you can call them that) are absurd. There is no focus on basics like spelling or grammar. The teaching methods are simplistic and not at all rigorous. If you are considering moving to this area and this is a school you are interested in, turn and run toward Cottonwood or Flagstaff or better yet the Valley of the Sun.

Posted February 3, 2014

I went to this school as a junior last year but moved back to California in November due to family troubles. This school is quite small (about 500 students on average) with a beautiful campus and wonderful artwork painted in every hall. I was a new student here, and though I loved the campus, I did not necessarily love the students. A lot of the students grew up together since Sedona is a tiny town so they were not very open to making new friends. However, about a hundred students leave each year and a hundred new students arrive each year to the campus so you're bound to meet someone knew (even I did and I'm quite shy). Photography class was my favorite the teacher was a pro and she taught us how to develop film in dark rooms. Art class was also amazing the teacher leaves his door open so you can eat lunch in there too. However, I did not like how basic their language classes were. I was looking forward to taking French 4 but they did not offer that so I had to take Spanish 1 instead. Some of the teachers did tended to baby the students a bit too much too in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.

Posted January 11, 2014

I attend SRRHS currently. I like my teachers, fellow students. The school is small. The halls are clean the classrooms kept mostly clean- although I think the teachers do a lot of that themselfs. Academically, you can take the harder path by enrolling in AP courses. Or you can show up. There are no less than seven sports available for participation, in addition to after school clubs. Many have been significantly reduced due to budget problems and lack of money. But the foundation of the school is very good.

Posted November 5, 2013

My son is having a good year. Plays football. Enjoys history, and science.Looking forward to trying clubs and other activities. Not the best school in the state but certainly not the worst. Teachers work very hard and motivated and concerned. Hoping the budget overhaul passes. We need the money very much at the school.

Posted July 30, 2013

A good school, with some nice perks. Can't wait for school to start! I'm getting involved this year. The younger teachers really make an effort to engage their students and while teaching - have some fun.

Posted July 5, 2013

I am 10th grader and looking forward to fall. Is this school the best in the country? NO.The person who commented about the curriculum being boring- my teachers tried to make the subjects fun- with projects and stuff---but the guidelines are set by the state, and lets not forget that they are mostly teaching for us to pass a standardized test - so not much leeway. The group of dedicated teachers takes extra time anyway to teach well beyond. They are trying to do more than just follow the testing guidelines because they want us to truly learn things. Ya, one or two t are still working after many years that aren't exactly the sweetest people, but my mother puts it best when she says- in the real world, people aren't always going to coddle me. I'm at school to learn, to grow and to have a little bit of fun. SRH gives me the opportunity for those things. There are strong academics, an assortment of clubs and sports and a strong student body free of cliques or violence. You can walk in the door most everyone from the janitor, secretary to the Principal will say hi, and smile. The halls are clean, and no one is smoking. That says something.

Posted June 6, 2013

I have been very disappointed with this school as a parent of a child who attended for the 2012-13 school year. The curriculum is the usual public school fare and the approach to working with teens is unenlightened and unimaginative. I found one faculty member to be disgruntled with his job and downright rude. There is a lack of focus and respect for the individual child and a lack of followthrough on the counseling staff. The approach to discipline is punitive and alienating. There is no support for teens as far as socialization, communication, or sex education. A public high school in Sedona should be able to offer their teen population something better.

Posted May 22, 2013

My son graduated this afternoon. Although he had a few misteps early on, he found his way, and ended up on a firm path. He did very well, and my wife and I are very proud of him. Overall, while the school may have it's short sheets, it is a good place for a small town kid to "grow up". Academically, the foundation is there, the sports are good, the school itself is clean and safe, and the educators - are impressive.I was at parent night, the last three years, and each teacher was prepared and presented me with and over view of my students progress in class. The lack community support for the students/school/teachers is really a darn shame. Even the parents, grandparents? Where are they? All in all I'd rate the school a four 1/2 , most of the teachers a five and the facilities a three and a half (such as library and media outlets).

Posted May 18, 2013

I am about to graduate SRRHS. I have had a great experience here. Some of the teachers are really cool, and have gone beyond what you might expect to help students succeed in the classroom, and in other areas like sports. A few of the younger guy teachers are really involved with the school activities, clubs and show up to our sporting events . A couple of them coach- they do a great job, and most of us appreciate the time they spend. The main thing the school lacks in cool stuff like ipads and lap tops, and digital media arts stuff/interactive. Our computer lab is a little out dated and some of our equipment is shot. Some of our classrooms could be made more high tech. My friend in New Mexico's high school is totally high tech. Overall I have had a good experience. Zero bullying/Zero gangs/very little drug use around me- and positive input. The school could also use more support form the community.

Posted May 4, 2013

I 'm an11th grader. Originally I planned to take vocational Ed courses but to our surprise there are very few. My option was to go to Mingus. We discussed but it wasn't worth my mom /dad driving me to C-Wood /buying car 4me, plus my friends. I've been doing my best to make it into an AZ college. Money's scarce. There is a small group of teachers who do most of the events, dances, cool stuff. They go a long way to make our classroom time different with some interesting projects.Most of my teachers have been prepared and motivated, which helps me. I wish there were more (leisure/library) books, and current computers (lap tops that could be checked out) There's a variety of sports----I don't think they are funded-by the school district. To participate in some you have to pay. Overall, I would rate (most) of the teaching staff excellent and the support people (like helpers at the desk et cetera) the same. The lack of star goes to lack of vision and supplies. I would also like to say that I feel comfortable on campus. The Policeman being there is really good.

Posted May 1, 2013

RR is not the very best school in AZ but it is not the worst. I'm nana to G-kids who either attended or who are attending.. The first one graduated in 2006, and I was an onlooker. I've been more involved since I moved in with dau and SIL after hus died. PROS: Great campus, Fine YOUNG teachers- that teach even tho Government doesn't want them to, opportunity for travel/other "first rate" excursions. Sports teams and coachs that often are the "same" from class room- which provides the students a way to see them in another light- aside from Football- it's not just about winning. The children are taught about manners, conduct, sportsmanship, etiquette and RESPECT. CONS: The voters of Sedona should be hanging their head in shame for not voting to pass the budget "over ride" in '12...to support the school district. It's irreverent that first graders in the Bronx or Chicago, are using high technology like ipads/ ipods/phones, or green screens to experience lesson plans. In some cases, a Philanthropist, or just do gooder donated- but those people think Sedona is wealthy. Admin a little unreliable. Not enough teacher recognition which is too bad since AZ is non union.

Posted April 16, 2013

SRRHS is one of the top schools in Northern Arizona. Class sizes are fairly small and the staff is always constantly looking for ways to improve the curriculum, communication and parent involvement. Newsletters, auto dialers and daily announcements, relay information to parents and students. The staff does what it can with the little funding they receive. Contrary to what the community believes, athletics is underfunded with most donations going to arts programs. Most of the students are well behaved and respectful. I have observed disrespectful students at the many events I have attended. Their parents are equally disrespectful and are more interested in being their kids friends rather than parents. SRRHS has received many awards and it is considered an A rated excelling school. Tutoring is constantly provided for students who are at risk of failing. My two students were opposite of each other, one being the over achiever and the other just getting by. They were individuals and respected as such. The principal is wonderful, although not really supported by the self-serving superintendent. Funding should be distributed to all staff instead of the superintendent's consultants.

Posted April 1, 2013

My opinion of SRRHS has markedly decreased over the past couple of years. Our third and final child is currently attending this school. Compared to our previous two, which are spread out over nearly 15 years, the current state of this school seems to have to declined. Most of the students and many of the staff are "in your face" liberal and "progressive". Our son has experienced substantial criticism and ridicule for his religious and political views to the point that I met with the school's principal this year and one of his teachers from last year to discuss the imbalance of values stances on various political and social issues. I am disappointed with the declining academics and increased emphasis on athletics. I don't think the students are required or even encourage to work that hard save perhaps for a handful of AP and Honors kids. SRRHS has a lot of room for improvement but given the economy and tendency toward political correctness, I don't hold much hope for change.

Posted March 20, 2013

It's a good school. The kids are respectful. The hallways are clean, and the teachers are involved. They know the students by name, and share a good bond. I am happy to notice may younger educators taking over for the old guard and offering some new thoughts and ideas. If I had children high school age I would send them to Red Rock High with out hesitation. I volunteer there 4 times a month, and have for a handful of years. JS

Posted February 19, 2013

Love my teachers. Love the school. If anything we don't get enough support from the state. I'm from a state where the teachers were paid a lot more money and the schools were funded differently. I like Arizona better but this school is suffering from lack of special departments like auto shop/jewelry making/ and other electves. I still take AP classes but the other things are fun for extra time. I would also like to see more intensive courses offered like poetry or "The Civil War" or "The Cold War". Our history depart is really good. We have some young teachers, and some cool trips. I like the way our teachers, or some of them volunteer for things out side of the class.

Posted February 10, 2013

I like the school. I moved her from CT, and to me this is the better choice. The teachers act like they are concerned and are helpful. The town is small but close enough to Phoenix for shows and other things. Im looking foward to attending a dance and getting involved with some activities next semester.

Posted January 30, 2013

Some great new and young teachers/leaders. Very interested in the students and activities. Last years Prom was a huge success. The Humanities Dept in particular is thriving. My kids (two) are having a good experience. My husband and I are finding that for the most part the teachers are engaged and concerned but as parents you have to show an interest as well. This is a public school, not private so you have to be on guard. We are happy the resource officer is back, after the financial snafu. The Principal is a good guy, and the office staff is helpful. The sports are good and the coaching is great- especially for a small town.

Posted January 30, 2013

We moved from Colorado and we are pleased with the High School. We had hoped our daughter would fit in, and so far she has. The teachers are caring, and wonderful. They actively participate in the process of learning- but not just book/homework/lecture. The (younger) educators make a point to provide life lessons in their daily agenda. They are not all progressive in nature. The Volleyball coach is wonderful. The Student Council advisors are fantastic, and the Swim coach is amazing. Track was fun too. This is her third year. She has made many friends and is enjoying her self. More importanting she is learning about her mind and her body...and what she likes and dislikes. She is also volunteering in the community. SRRHS may not be perfect but it is helping us- help our dau build her foundation for her future.

Posted January 6, 2013

I currently go to this school, and its far from the best. Its not horrible, but several teachers don't seem to care at all and others are more distracted then the students! Not to mention others talking about politics, in a science class. Aside from that I feel there's a bit to much consentration on sports and art, and not nearly enough on math and science.

Posted August 26, 2012

Horrendous teacher-parent communication, and I find most teachers wanton and capricious, and frankly rude to parents. They use powerschools but the teachers are "too busy" to enter grades in a timely way. Administrators fail to take responsibility for lackadaisical teachers. Teachers have myriad excuses for their failure to do their jobs. Utter incompetence. For an "affluent" school with high taxes, you'd think the district would hire more intelligent, thoughtful, communicative, respectful teachers.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

995 Upper Red Rock Loop Rd