No rating

Oak Creek Ranch School

Private | 8-12 | 27 students

Posted June 16, 2014

On June 13, 2014 my son graduated from his original HS. But, is time at OCRS made him a better student and person. He learned to that he had value and could really master school if provided the right encouragement. Both of his parents hold PhDs and truly appreciated the value of education and pace. Without OCRS, he would not have succeeded. Many thanks to Nadine and her staff. Dr. EW

Posted May 21, 2014

. After years of struggle at public schools, we decided to send our daughter to OCRS. She has ADD and fell so far behind in her grades. Her self esteem suffered after years of falling behind her peers. She was getting to a point of just giving up. All of this changed for her at OCRS. She's just completed her junior year with FLYING colors. Her grades are top notch and she was on the principals honor roll for the first time in years. She is learning how HER brain processes information and has just excelled. It's certainly not always easy to have her away from home, but but trade off is priceless. For the first time my daughter is thinking of college and beyond. She's now talking about a future teaching high school. Two years ago we were not sure she'd graduate on time and now she is at the top of her class. I highly recommend OCRS to any family struggling with an under achieving student.

Posted May 20, 2014

Our son transferred to Oak Creek Ranch School after a socially and academically disappointing freshman year at another boarding school. The faculty and staff members of OCRS have guided him towards maturity and reaching his goals, with both structure and great kindness. He has been part of this culturally diverse community for the remaining years of high school. He just graduated and with the support of OCRS, will attend the college that was his first choice. The campus is located in a beautiful setting, with numerous opportunities for athletics, nature hikes, field trips ( both local and out of state ) and community service. The staff and teachers have been both mentors and friends who have helped him navigate the teen years. He will have made some lifelong friends. The school gave him a good education and the chance to learn from his mistakes. He will be well prepared for the transition to life on his own at a university. Thank you, Oak Creek Ranch School . . . it takes a village !

Posted August 3, 2013

My daughter switched to OCRS during the school year and did very well. She is a very direct and frank kid and was very open about the goings on at her new school. Her observations: They tried very hard to give the kids a good learning experience. The staff is very supportive and those kids who are willing to do even a modest amt of work will succeed. Some kids were VERY troubled and probably should not have been there in the 1st place. They were a little too supportive of kids who went way out of bounds, like stealing and drugs oe sex issues. Overall it was a very good experience and she stated emphatically that management is very dedicated to doing right by the students. Worst thing about the school? Numerous kids with seriously bad attitudes and no intention of moving ahead. We intend to leave our child in the school through 12th grade. As a parent the only area we would like to see improved is individual detailed reports from teachers and the principal. Knowledge is power.

Posted May 22, 2013

I am really at a loss to get help for our child. He is a tough cookie yet a good kid. It is hard to find a school where substance abuse is not the main issue. Oak Creek Ranch told us that they do not tolerate drugs on campus. I can say that they did stand behind their word on that. These kids are not easy. Give this school the credit it deserves. Our child finished 10th grade with a B average. So, that made him happy. He had to do the work. He complained like many other children because he had restrictions and rules he had to abide by and he got bored on weekends. So, is the school perfect - NO! Is the school doing what it said it would do? Yes - It is doing better than we were doing. It had what our child needed - structure, rules, restrictions, no drugs, education, hands on management of his emotional outburst. A great therapist that will work with your child for an extra fee. All in All. It is a good school. These kids are not easy. Keep those drug kids in other places. Let our ADHD kids who do not have drug issues be safe. They do try to keep them as safe as possible. Good luck. A parent of a very very difficult Child. May 2013

Posted February 25, 2013

Our daughter (seventh grader) has been attend OCRS for only a few months but when we speak to her on the phone she sounds the happiest she has been since fourth grade. She loves it there. We barely hear from her which we consider a good sign that she is safe and happy. She has friends and is doing very well academically. Both of which she didn't have when she attend school in the South Bay of California. We couldn't be happier

Posted July 14, 2012

Our daughter spent her freshman year at OCRS and is going next year. We are so happy we found the school, as we could see the "writing on the wall." Self esteem was disintegrating, anxiety, overwhelm, and stress were always hovering around her and while her grades were ok, in the homeschool environment we had provided, she was not learning to learn, and several times had refused to go to school. Homework was more than a chore and fight with us. At OCRS, she learned to learned and is turned on to learning. Earth Science captivated her and shifted her relationship with education. Her extraordinary creative writing, with Mr Hansen, has taken off and been unleashed. She is ever more mature, verbal and participative in her classes. Math, which has always been her greatest learning challenge, (many private tutors) has, finally, clicked in, thanks to the brilliance of Mr. Hernandez. She even made the Principal's Honor Role this first year. The residential staff teach respect through responsibility and follow through, and make a difference in their maturity and blossoming. As our daughter said when we picked her up from school last May, "Thank you for sending me to O.C.R.S."

Posted January 20, 2011

I am currently a student at OCRS, and the academics are good, I do better here than I did at public school, but there are very limited after-school activities. If you don't have dorm privlidges, an iPod, or a Video Game System, there's nothing to do! I constantly sit around doing nothing after school and on weekends! Plus if 1 kid gets sick, then at least 10 more will get sick.

Posted October 30, 2009

My son spent one summer (8 weeks ) at Oak Creek Ranch. It was a big disappointment. Firt, he was enrolled in the wrong class, and the principal didn't notice util the summer was over :( He did not participate in many school activities because the students had to sign up first, and the driver just took few students. My son, who is slow, always signed last. So he never went to all the wonderful places the school promised. Summer school at Oak Creek Ranch? Better look into other places.

Posted October 20, 2009

I am a parent of a student who has just blossomed at the Oak Creek Ranch School. I am a former special education teacher and I have never been so impressed with a school in my entire life! We looked for a while and we are from the other side of the country. I feel so blessed that we were able to send my daughter to this school. I highly recommend it! If there are any parents who have questions about this amazing school I would be very happy to answer them.

Posted October 18, 2009

My daughter reached a brick wall in the public school system and was unable to get passing grades. Her ADHD simply wouldn't allow her to do her homework. The regimentation and alternative approach used at Oak Creek are allowing her to get good grades. She is feeling better about herself and expects to graduate on time. That's quite an accomplishment!

Posted August 19, 2009

upon approaching the boarding school, i felt a little apprehensive. within a week of the beginning of the school year, i didn't even think about missing home. the dorm accommodations were very roomy. the academic standards were nearly impeccable and the teachers were great too. out of all my piers, i never at any point overheard a complaint about 'being left behind'. the student life was great. on top of all the scheduled events (my favorite was the Saturday paintball trip), unlike the typical public high school, to my surprise, there were no clicks. everyone knew everyone else, and better yet, everyone seemed to get along pretty well.

Posted August 18, 2009

My daughter completed a post-graduate year at OCRS. We knew she wasn't ready for college -- she needed more time to mature emotionally as well as strengthen her academic skills. She has ADD and had academic poor performance during her junior and senior years at a public high school. At OCRS she was involved heavily in sports, something she had not done previously despite having talent. She was very engaged academically and was the recipient of numerous awards at graduation. The staff was supportive and nurturing, helping her through bumps along the way but always making take responsibility. There are strict rules and priviledges are gained when the student adhere to them. The school is very clear about what is not acceptable and will take swift and appropriate action if a student breaks those rules. I am very pleased with the year my daughter spent at OCRS.

Posted August 18, 2009

It was 6 weeks into my daughter's sophomore year and she was failing all of her classes again. We had a tough decision to make when we found OCRS in Sedona, Arizona. The following week she started school at OCRS. Jessica has ADHD (non-specific) and the smaller class sizes and personal attention was just what she needed. She is now planning on graduating early in January of 2010 and already applied to our local junoir college for the Spring of 2010 semester. The Equestrian Program at OCRS has been very beneficial for Jessica and is for all children with ADD or ADHD. The teachers and counselors are very helpful and positive. The grounds are beautiful! The sports and activities keep the kids busy and helps them form a more positive self-esteem. Oak Creek Ranch School was our saving grace when we had no hope at all!

Posted August 17, 2009

I have recently graduated from OCRS, and will be attending Northern Arizona University this fall. I'm very excited about this because with out OCRS, I don't know if i would have gotten into college. At first I was skeptical when my parents suggested going to school there, but I went in with an open mind, because I knew it was best for me to get away from the bad influences in my town. Being in a large public high school was not for me, as all I wanted to do was hang out with my friends and party. At OCRS I was not able to get away with any of this, and I didn't want to. The teachers and small class sizes were a tremendous impact on my success. I would not be the person I am today without the help of Mr. Wick, the teachers, & excellent staff working there.

Posted August 17, 2009

I attended OCRS for a year and two summers. my time being there has really pushed me to grow up and become an adult. I will admit that there were some mediocre times but that was all nesassary to make me who i am today. I enjoyed having a very structured enviroment. The school does a good job about making sure the kids have enough actvities to keep them occupied, including movie,bowling, horseback riding, waterpark trips and many more. I believe that if your child is wiling to give this school a try, it might turn out in the long run to be one of the most benificial choices that they will ever make. I hope to visit the school again to say hi and see how everyone is doing.

Posted August 17, 2009

I graduated from OCRS last year after attending for 3 years and was very happy with my results. In public school I failed out but once I began the ocrs program I got almost straight A's. I became president of student counsel, captian of the volleyball and softball team. I also became very active in helping educate prospective students about the school over all OCRS saved my life. I would not be a high school graduate.

Posted August 17, 2009

Sophomore year, my son was on that downward spiral falling behind in classes and feeling even if he did try, he couldn't pass. He has ADD / auditory processing type learning issue - he really needs to concentrate to learn. When you struggle academically, you are often put in the lower academic classes where there are kids that just don't want to learn and are disruptive. OCRS provided a learning environment in which he could thrive. Strict rules and small class sizes with individual attention - long days in the classroom, but homework is completed in class. With the help of the staff, he has taken ownership of his education and has a whole new attitude. He now has a 3.88 GPA and will graduate early. We are so proud of his efforts more importantly he is now proud of himself. College is now an option! Thank you OCRS!

Posted August 17, 2009

I attended OCRS for 3 years. This school was a blessing in my life. It came at a time when I did not believe in myself or the need to finish high school. The staff was well equipped to deal with trouble teenage issues. This school offers a different approach to structured education which was successful as I was struggling in public school. I made life long friends and will never forget the years I spent at OCRS.

Posted July 21, 2009

I am currently attending OCRS as a student. This school helped me out alot with my education. The teachers are well trained and are more helpful than anyone else there. Now for the living part i find that the councliers are not happy, very stressed, and they tend to take that out on the students regularly. Even so there are some councliers that do make the effort to make a bond with the students even though they are not 'allowed to'. The majority of the students at OCRS can all agree that they dont feel any support in the councliers when they are trying to seek attention when they have a personal situation. The only thing that has helped me at this school is the easy education and the small friendships that i have made.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab