Posted June 16, 2014
On June 13, 2014 my son graduated from his original HS. But, is time at OCRS made him a better student and person. He learned to that he had value and could really master school if provided the right encouragement. Both of his parents hold PhDs and truly appreciated the value of education and pace. Without OCRS, he would not have succeeded. Many thanks to Nadine and her staff. Dr. EW

Posted May 21, 2014
. After years of struggle at public schools, we decided to send our daughter to OCRS. She has ADD and fell so far behind in her grades. Her self esteem suffered after years of falling behind her peers. She was getting to a point of just giving up. All of this changed for her at OCRS. She's just completed her junior year with FLYING colors. Her grades are top notch and she was on the principals honor roll for the first time in years. She is learning how HER brain processes information and has just excelled. It's certainly not always easy to have her away from home, but but trade off is priceless. For the first time my daughter is thinking of college and beyond. She's now talking about a future teaching high school. Two years ago we were not sure she'd graduate on time and now she is at the top of her class. I highly recommend OCRS to any family struggling with an under achieving student.

Posted May 20, 2014
Our son transferred to Oak Creek Ranch School after a socially and academically disappointing freshman year at another boarding school. The faculty and staff members of OCRS have guided him towards maturity and reaching his goals, with both structure and great kindness. He has been part of this culturally diverse community for the remaining years of high school. He just graduated and with the support of OCRS, will attend the college that was his first choice. The campus is located in a beautiful setting, with numerous opportunities for athletics, nature hikes, field trips ( both local and out of state ) and community service. The staff and teachers have been both mentors and friends who have helped him navigate the teen years. He will have made some lifelong friends. The school gave him a good education and the chance to learn from his mistakes. He will be well prepared for the transition to life on his own at a university. Thank you, Oak Creek Ranch School . . . it takes a village !

Posted August 03, 2013
My daughter switched to OCRS during the school year and did very well. She is a very direct and frank kid and was very open about the goings on at her new school. Her observations: They tried very hard to give the kids a good learning experience. The staff is very supportive and those kids who are willing to do even a modest amt of work will succeed. Some kids were VERY troubled and probably should not have been there in the 1st place. They were a little too supportive of kids who went way out of bounds, like stealing and drugs oe sex issues. Overall it was a very good experience and she stated emphatically that management is very dedicated to doing right by the students. Worst thing about the school? Numerous kids with seriously bad attitudes and no intention of moving ahead. We intend to leave our child in the school through 12th grade. As a parent the only area we would like to see improved is individual detailed reports from teachers and the principal. Knowledge is power.

Posted May 22, 2013
I am really at a loss to get help for our child. He is a tough cookie yet a good kid. It is hard to find a school where substance abuse is not the main issue. Oak Creek Ranch told us that they do not tolerate drugs on campus. I can say that they did stand behind their word on that. These kids are not easy. Give this school the credit it deserves. Our child finished 10th grade with a B average. So, that made him happy. He had to do the work. He complained like many other children because he had restrictions and rules he had to abide by and he got bored on weekends. So, is the school perfect - NO! Is the school doing what it said it would do? Yes - It is doing better than we were doing. It had what our child needed - structure, rules, restrictions, no drugs, education, hands on management of his emotional outburst. A great therapist that will work with your child for an extra fee. All in All. It is a good school. These kids are not easy. Keep those drug kids in other places. Let our ADHD kids who do not have drug issues be safe. They do try to keep them as safe as possible. Good luck. A parent of a very very difficult Child. May 2013

Posted February 25, 2013
Our daughter (seventh grader) has been attend OCRS for only a few months but when we speak to her on the phone she sounds the happiest she has been since fourth grade. She loves it there. We barely hear from her which we consider a good sign that she is safe and happy. She has friends and is doing very well academically. Both of which she didn't have when she attend school in the South Bay of California. We couldn't be happier

Posted July 14, 2012
Our daughter spent her freshman year at OCRS and is going next year. We are so happy we found the school, as we could see the "writing on the wall." Self esteem was disintegrating, anxiety, overwhelm, and stress were always hovering around her and while her grades were ok, in the homeschool environment we had provided, she was not learning to learn, and several times had refused to go to school. Homework was more than a chore and fight with us. At OCRS, she learned to learned and is turned on to learning. Earth Science captivated her and shifted her relationship with education. Her extraordinary creative writing, with Mr Hansen, has taken off and been unleashed. She is ever more mature, verbal and participative in her classes. Math, which has always been her greatest learning challenge, (many private tutors) has, finally, clicked in, thanks to the brilliance of Mr. Hernandez. She even made the Principal's Honor Role this first year. The residential staff teach respect through responsibility and follow through, and make a difference in their maturity and blossoming. As our daughter said when we picked her up from school last May, "Thank you for sending me to O.C.R.S."

Oak Creek Ranch School 2

Posted January 20, 2011
I am currently a student at OCRS, and the academics are good, I do better here than I did at public school, but there are very limited after-school activities. If you don't have dorm privlidges, an iPod, or a Video Game System, there's nothing to do! I constantly sit around doing nothing after school and on weekends! Plus if 1 kid gets sick, then at least 10 more will get sick.

Oak Creek Ranch School 1

Posted October 30, 2009
My son spent one summer (8 weeks ) at Oak Creek Ranch. It was a big disappointment. Firt, he was enrolled in the wrong class, and the principal didn't notice util the summer was over :( He did not participate in many school activities because the students had to sign up first, and the driver just took few students. My son, who is slow, always signed last. So he never went to all the wonderful places the school promised. Summer school at Oak Creek Ranch? Better look into other places.

Posted October 20, 2009
I am a parent of a student who has just blossomed at the Oak Creek Ranch School. I am a former special education teacher and I have never been so impressed with a school in my entire life! We looked for a while and we are from the other side of the country. I feel so blessed that we were able to send my daughter to this school. I highly recommend it! If there are any parents who have questions about this amazing school I would be very happy to answer them.

Oak Creek Ranch School
Po Box 4329, Sedona, AZ  86340
Last modified Oak Creek Ranch School is a Private school that serves grades 8-12
Oak Creek Ranch School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews.