Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted October 27, 2014
My eldest son attended this school 6 years ago and was never happy with anything there and then my middle son attend his freshman year and then we moved away and returned last year. It was a difficult time for our family at this time for many reasons but he was excited to return here and see his old friends. Less then a month into school he got in trouble with 3 other boys for being out in the parking lot and smoking pot. They all were suspended as I see correct action but only expelled my son. It was not his car or confirmed not his drugs. I believe my son was punished more severe because of the color of his skin. The other boys were able to return to school with no further punishment. Unfair and unjust! But in the long run this is the best thing Buena could have done. My son now attends Berean Academy and has been there 1 1/2 doing better then ever, involved, teachers love him and he feels good there.

Posted September 24, 2014
This district needs to change their discipline policy for students who assault other students. The maximum they get is 9 days, yes 9 days! The only reason they get 9 days is because if they are absent more than 10 days they must be disenrolled. Who cares, expel them make them accountable for their actions then maybe the parents will step in and do something to make them live a normal and productive life. Not one where you go around thinking you can do whatever to whomever you want. It's time to take a stand against bullying.

Buena High School 5

Posted March 13, 2014
I absolutely love this school for my kids. the Academics and extra curricular activities are amazing, and the teachers really care. I feel so safe leaving my kids at school in the morning, knowing I have nothing to worry about, that they will be well protected and in a nurturing environment while there. I have many choices for high schools, and I choose Buena for my children.

Posted March 10, 2014
Unfortunately I would have to agree with many of the parents and students that have commented. I am so grateful I have no more children to put through the public school system. When we moved here my child excelled in AP level classes. We transferred here during the school year and the school would not even recognize her previous AP placements. They enrolled her is lower level classes. She was bored and frustrated. In addition to her years at Buena she felt like nothing more than a number. My student was so disappointed by the size and layout of the school and the amount of students in the classes that my student had much difficulty bonding with any classmates. There was only 1 teacher that encouraged her to excel and seek outside interests. I would encourage all parents to research alternatives.

Posted July 25, 2013
I was supposed to be a freshman at Buena for 2013-2014, but my dad got orders and we moved from Ft. Huachuca. If Tombstone High School was closer, my twin and I would go there. Buena was a wonderful band, top 50 in the nation, always going to trips. They have a painting in th band room showing evy place they have been. The JROTC is good as well. My twin brither was going to join, and I have many friends as well who are or was in JROTC. That's the only good things about Buena. The school is to small for the amount of kids who go there. There are 2,300+ kids in just the 2012-2013 school year alone. And Sierra having about four middle schools, adding Colonel Smith on the Army bass, they are adding at least 700 kids. If you have the chance chose Tombstone seeing its smaller, may not have all the same thing Buena does.

Posted May 13, 2013
As a soldier who has been assigned at Fort Huachuca for several tours, I must warn others to avoid Fort Huachuca if you have High School age students and pick up an assignement elsewhere until the children are through school. The facility is fantastic which it shoudl as it cost twice as much as was promised the taxpayer in 1990, complete with rotating stages etc. The downfall is seemingly the attitude of the staff. Lesser funded districts in other states do far better than SVPSD does with more. The only program that seems to succeed is the JROTC, the rest seem to just attempt to get by. The school receives adequate funding, but instruction is poor, and no apparent discipline. Perhaps if the students did not look like rag bags in shorts every morning more pride in instruction would come forth. Additionally, this is the only school district we have lived in that is totally dependant upon busing ALL students to their campus regardless of location. Great savings could be harvested for those who seek greater flexibility in funding on that effort alone.

Buena High School 5

Posted August 14, 2012
I read the two previous reviews with some concern and chagrin. Yes the school has around 2000 students and 800-1000 computers. Also many sporting events require some long travel distances. For the last several years the taxpayers have had the opportunity to step up to help bring the equipment, facilities and everything associated with a top notch school to provide the best opportunities for our students. They, the taxpayer, have failed miserably resulting in a reduction of over 14 million dollars for the budget. In spite of their failure, the professionals in the teaching and administrative staff and students have preformed admirably. 2012 class earned over 7.3 million in scholarships for 520 students. I challenge the complainers to step up and put their money where their mouth is.!!!!!!

Buena High School 3

Posted May 04, 2012
I read that Buena HS with an enrollment of 2100 has 843 computers available for student use and that the only open computer lab is located in the school library.Also that they are equipped with Windows 2003. There are other statements in the article, "Buena's Technology lags behind other schools," (The Pegasus, April 17, 2012, author Madelaine Braggs) that indicate that Buena high school students may not be prepared for higher education or the workforce. Is this an accurate account of Buena High School's computer status? And if so, does the community know about this and understands the negative implications?

Buena High School 3

Posted March 08, 2012
An ok school. The education Program is pretty effective, and the school has quite a selection of clubs. This school has to work on their sports. Then it would be a stronger and more popular school.

Posted September 24, 2011
We moved to Sierra Vista in 2008 with a sophomore. If I could go back I would have homeschooled him for his last 3 years over the ONLY choice for a high school in this city of 40,000! It's ridiculous that the city didn't see the smarter choice would have been 2 or 3 SMALLER high schools where there would be more individual attention in the classroom and better competition for the sports programs. Every away contest is AT LEAST 70 miles away so the athletes get home very late. The admin/school board is a joke and they all need to be replaced. The school routinely gives contracts to businesses in Tucson (70+ miles) or Phoenix (200+ miles) then wonders why they get very little local community/business support. I'm glad we're done with Buena and advise anyone to homeschool and use the online K12 program. I wish we had!

Buena High School
5225 E. Buena School Blvd., Sierra Vista, AZ  85635
Last modified Buena High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Buena High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. Top