Zuni Hills Elementary School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded

Posted November 6, 2008

I have 2 children at Zuni Hills. My oldest child has been there for 7 years. We have had our ups and downs, but for the most part it has been satisfactory. I do wish that when a child struggled there would be better communication and more tutoring or after school programs. I do understand resources are limited for the teachers. We will just keep up the work and support and wish Zuni the best in the future.

Posted October 15, 2008

My daughter has attended Zuni Hills for the past 5 years. We have been very happy with most of the teachers. I cannot say enough positive things about Mrs. Fry, the P.I. teacher. When the new principal came in, things changed tremendously -- for the better! Ms. Storms has gone out of her way to keep the parents informed (love the phone reminders about early release days). Now the administration and staff seem organized and cohesive. A welcome change. Zuni has been a great asset to my daughter's eductation. I do think that education is a partnership, and that parents are vital in the overall education of a child. It is up to us to make sure that our children get what they need. Zuni has been a great partner.

Posted April 21, 2008

We have had 2 children at Zuni for 3 years. The Peoria school district K-8 structure is very hard on 6-8 graders. Adminstration and teachers cannot meet the needs of all the age groups represented in this format. Middle Schools are needed to specifically meet the needs of children in this transformational age group - Hormone enraged ealry teens should not be subjected to the sames rules, adminstration, facilities, and structure. Nor is it fair for 1st graders to see/hear the everyday behavior of these shouldbe middle schoolers. Zuni Hills does not prepare their students in this age group (6th-8th grade) for the next step of life - High School. The current administration only attempts to patch holes in the failing dam - Than address the problems and issues at hand. We struggle on a daily basis to fill in the educational and social gaps left unaddressed by Zuni Hills.

Posted July 20, 2007

We have been in the PUSD for many years and have been very happy with Zuni Hills. The teachers, staff and administration all work for the betterment of their students. I hope that the new principal will be as strong and honest as Mr. B was and as the school sign shows, Good Luck Mr. B, we are going to miss you!

Posted June 5, 2007

We have sent our children to ZH since the first day in 2001. We have had wonderful teachers every year except the first year. Unfortunately it seems that the quality of leadership has deteriorated in the past two years, and several teachers have left or transferred to other schools. Public education is supposed to focus on educating the children, but it has become a political battlefield since the No Child Left Behind Act was implemented. Now, all that seems important are the test scores. I have 3 different types of learners for my children, and they are either bored or over-challenged. I am not sure if I want to continue our support at ZH. I wish it could be better, but it seems like the zeal for excellence and concern for the children has depleted. I hope this current situation doesn't forecast a bleak future; a miracle is needed in education!

Posted May 6, 2007

My children have been attending Zuni Hills since 2006. We have been very happy with Zuni Hills. It's disappointing to hear other parents speak so poorly about the school, it takes more than the school to educate children, parents must be involved as well. We have been happy with the curriculum and the discipline is a no tollerance policy. I heard since the new Principal is here, the school has improved very much. The only downfall is the lack of parents that attend the PTSO meetings, parents usually complain, but never attend meetings to make improvements.

Posted December 29, 2005

I have been let down by PUSD and especially Zuni Hills. The school, its administration, and the majority of its teachers stink. The classrooms are overcrowded, teachers are overloaded, and most of the teachers are unwilling or unable to provide the communication and support that children need. My children have attended Zuni since it opened, and despite neighbors who have pulled their children out, I held hope that it would improve. Not only has it not improved, it has gotten worse. I am now at a point that I cannot stand this school, its obnoxious principal(obviously an opinion, but it belongs to many others as well), and the teachers that my children have. I am looking for another school to take my children to because I have no confidence in their ability to lead and teach.

Posted October 17, 2005

My children have been at this school since it opened, I am quite happy. Reading some of these reviews are a little disheartening. My motto is 'you get what you are willing to give.' I feel that many parents are to blame for their students lack of achievement. We have become a society of dumping our responsibilities on others (ie government, schools, churches, etc.) Schools, churchs and the government are simply supplements to what the parent should be doing. Sure a lot of the teachers are young and inexperienced but are eager to learn. Parents need to take a hand in helping these teachers and the school as a whole. Parental involvement is what is lacking in this school. Work or not every parent has a responsiblity to be involved.

Posted October 7, 2005

I am disappointed in Zuni Hills Elementary School. When the bells rings the teacher are out in the halls rushing the children like cattle. Waiting for the bus must be a nightmare for the kids because they must line up in crowds (again like cattle)in the way of kids trying to exit. Kids love having subs because there is no lost love for the teachers here. Just ask the kids. Doing away with student of the month presentation..What a dumb idea. Whats next?

Posted September 6, 2005

I have had 4 children attend Zuni Hills Elementary in the last 5 years. With the exception of one teacher that 2 of the children had difficulty learning from we have been very fortunate at this school.

Posted August 20, 2005

I have two children that attend Zuni Hills, and I have been very happy with the school. Their academics are great, and the P.I. teacher is terrific. My kids are challenged, and the teachers have been great. We feel the school is doing a wonderful job.

Posted August 6, 2005

Zuni Hills Elementary is one of the finest academic environments in the Phoenix area. The philosophy of the school centers on the child. The climate is safe, the teachers of experience and caring. New educational philosophies are utilized. The principal makes his presents know and is available to all student, teachers, parents and supportative staff. It is an honor to have a child experience such an academic superior school in a caring, safe evniroment.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 29, 2005

They mix elementary and middle school, not the best idea but overall good school.

Posted July 16, 2005

This is a well run school with innovative teachers and a great administrative staff. They strive to challenge the children academically and teach them to be good citizens.

Posted May 11, 2005

My daughter attends kindergarten at zuni. I feel that the school does what it has to, to get by. Maybe that's the way all elementary schoools are now days? So we are looking for other options for 1st grade.

Posted January 9, 2005

I have nothing to say but good things about Zuni Hills. I love this school!

Posted October 31, 2004

I have 2 children that attend Zuni Hills. My son has needed extra help through some emotional issues and the staff at Zuni Hills was incredibly helpful! My daughter has AD/HD and the staff at Zuni did not hesitate to step up and assist me in the understanding and use of programs that can and were implemented to help her. The teachers work well with eachother and other staff members to adapt to student's personalities and needs. The principal is very supportive and makes an effort to know the students! I feel the whole school staff strives to make Zuni a wonderful part of our community and an A+ school!

Posted October 7, 2004

I have been unimpressed at best by Zuni Hills. I have found the teachers to be below average. My children have been injured on the playground and were refused access to the school nurse. The bus system is ineffecient and ill-equipped to handle new riders. Not once, not twice, but three times my daughter was lost...though we did find her in a matter of 30 minutes, I find this unacceptable.

Posted August 9, 2004

I think Zuni Hills leaves a lot to be desired. When they opened thier doors, they opened late, and they did not seem ready. Most teachers were new, and some ready for retirment. Zuni Hills also is not well set up for the Arizona weather, there is no shaded area on the playground, and PE has to be outside no matter how hot. They have a multipourpose room only, used for everything.

Posted February 29, 2004

Our son's first year at Zuni Hills was a bit rough due to the fact that he was unchallenged in the lessons, but the past two years have been much better! We have felt that we are welcome in the school anytime, and we have seen a big improvement in communication with the staff!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (623) 412-5282

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options