Calibre Academy of Surprise

Charter | K-8 | 650 students

We are best known for emphasis on strong academics.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 28, 2013

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!

Posted August 8, 2013

This will be our fourth year at Calibre Academy (formerly Carden Traditional) and we couldn't have found a better fit for my children. It is a very family oriented school that welcomes parent involvement and has many programs in place to help students of all levels. There is a great RTI program for those struggling in reading as well as tutoring available after school. They have a Middle Years IB program for the older children, this year they are implementing a new program called CAPP designed for students that thrive in a faster paced and more in depth learning environment. They have an award winning PTA that is very involved in helping make improvements in the children's education and community outreach. I believe Calibre has also qualified for Title I recently which will allow them to assist more lower income families. We also have a great extra-curricular sports program including our LIttle Colts program for the younger grades including basketball, soccer, and now flag football. Parents do need to understand that it is a charter school and is not run the same way as a district school. For our family that is a huge plus, others may not feel that way.

Posted August 8, 2013

This school has great education. Their teachers go over the subject more than once. They have technology,Spanish,Art,Music,P.E.,and Sports. Principal Gardner is great with students. Pre-school gets pretty expensive but like I said GREAT EDUCATION! Food, is great! :)

Posted July 18, 2013

This school is above and beyond AMAZING. We came from a school with horrible bully issues and a principal that really didn't care. I cannot believe how much the 5th-8th grade principal cares for the kids. He is at every event with a smile on his face. He cares deeply about the kids and is very involved with him. For the most part my kids' teachers have been outstanding. Amazing, amazing, amazing place.

Posted July 14, 2013

I thought Carden, now Calibre was a horrible school! Giving it 1 star, is one too many! My oldest son started kindergarten at Calibre and after the school year ended, we enrolled him into a public school within the Dysart district. I know of a few other parents who did the same. There were bully issues, and issues with teachers not paying attention to their students. The teachers and staff are not very professional, and some are even rude. Their turnover rate is unreal. The teacher my son had, didn't seem to be very experienced. Their curriculum is behind, based on my daughter's K curriculum in public school. If your child has any sort of special needs, this school will not benefit them, and I highly recommend looking elsewhere. If you're interested in charter schools, look into others in the area and avoid this one for the sake of your child.

Posted June 19, 2013

I AM PARENTS OF TWO KIDS IN CALIBRE FOR THE PASS FIVE YEARS AND COULD NOT BE HAPPIERR, PERSONLY AND ACADEMICLY. CALIBRE HAS A GREAT STAFF WHICH THEY CARE DEEPLY FOR OUR KIDS. SOME PARENTS ARE NOT HAPPY THAT THERE ARE TEACHERS TURN OVER , THIS IS NOT JUST IN OUR SCHOOL IT IS NATION WIDE, IT IS GREAT THAT OUR SCHOOL SEE'S THAT A HEAD OF TIME THEN LEATER IN THE YEAR. WE ALL KNOW NOT EVERY THING IS ALWAYS PERFECT AND FOR THAT REASON WE SHOULD BE MORE INVOLVED IN OUR KIDS SCHOOL AND THERE EDUCTION SO WE COULD FIX TEH PROBLEMS TOGATHER.CALIBRE ACADEMY IS A GREAT FAMILY SCHOOL...REMEMBER IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A KIDS, SO LETS STOP THE COMPLEAIN AND FOCUS ON A POSITIVE ASPECT OF THE SCHOOL .:)

Posted June 7, 2013

Why is such a big teacher turnover in the lower grades at this school, and not in the higher grades? Perhaps it has something to do with the leadership ! As far as I know, teachers do not have too much to say regarding teaching. The focus of the school is to obtain high scores and not towards developing the whole child. The only positive thing is the awesome PTA.

Posted May 27, 2013

All I can say is that this school is amazing! The staff is so friendly and really care about the children and families.....it feels very much like a family atmosphere here. My children have been here since kindergarten and I couldn't imagine sending them anyplace else! My family loves the extra activities the school offers.....the fall festival, international festival and sports program are just a few of our favorites. The curriculum is wonderful....it's amazing what the children are learning. They also offer RTI programs and extra tutoring for children who need a little extra help. Overall, this school is amazing! I couldn't imagine sending my children anywhere else!

Posted May 17, 2013

No discipline, very unorganized, my teacher my son had went through 4 teacher assistants -they would all leave. My son would get hit all the time by other student and they would never inform me , I had to find out from my son. If this is kindergarten I do not want to see 1st grade. My son will NOT return to this school.

Posted May 14, 2013

Horrible school. As a mother of 5, four of which are in school full time, I strongly suggest you do not ever send your children to this school. I had two children attend this school for two years and it was a huge mistake. Staff is extremely rude and uncaring. They are not at all interested in any child who needs any extra help in anything. They will do anything they can to make you want to leave and push your child out. This is not the place for children to learn good character.

Posted April 18, 2013

My started out in public school and had an awful experience begging me to home school him every day. He has attended Calibre Academy (formerly Carden) and loves it! The staff, principal's and teachers have all been wonderful! The curriculum is challenging and pushes students to excel. Compared to the public schools of AZ I feel my son is receiving a much better education. The thing that makes me the happiest is that all the families at Calibre seem to raising their children well. My son tells me that he has never been exposed to anyone that is bullying, bad language etc at school that he was when he was in kindergarten. I appreciate the dress code that teaches the students to be conservative and respectful and am glad that the dress code in enforced. We feel safe and know that our son is getting a quality education at Calibre, and our daughter can't wait to begin kindergarten there this fall.

Posted April 10, 2013

Warning! Do your research on this school. They have a very high turn over of teachers. No continuity for the students. They have a weak curriculum and lack funds for any technology. The staff is poorly paid so they tend to get teachers hired last minute, which translates to desperation and low quality teachers.

Posted March 28, 2013

This is my daughter's third year at Calibre and my son is in Kindergarten. I have nothing but great things to say about Calibre. The front office staff are super nice and always helpful. Most of the teachers are wonderful. I did have a small issue with one of my children's teachers and the principal addressed the situation right away. We are really happy with Calibre and can see our children being very successful here.

Posted March 14, 2013

My son started kindergarten this year at Calibre. His teacher, Mrs. Parks is outstanding. She is constantly communicating with my wife and I about my son's progress. The athletic direct, Paul Loredo, is also a wonderful asset. He has started a wonderful sports program for basketball, football, soccer, etc. from kindergarten all the way through eighth grade. Parents are involved and the school is a community. The staff and teachers are wonderful. They built a new gymnasium and section for the upper grades. We hope this school continues to rise and look forward to starting our girls in the next few years!

Posted March 9, 2013

We love Calibre Academy!! Our experience with the teachers and administration has been wonderful. The principal knows every student by their name, which I believe is very unique and important. My child has grown tremendously, especially in the areas of math, reading, and writing. The new building is beautifull! I would highly reccomend this school to any parent that values their child's education.

Posted March 4, 2013

My children were in this school for 5 years. Each year seemed to be a little worse than the previous year. I think there is lack of discipline for students who are misbehaving. We had some issues that were not addressed, and as a result, my child ended up with a concussion! The principal is terrible and only wants to be the children's friend, and will tell parents what they want to hear. This school is lacking in so many ways. Sadly I pulled my children out and they spent half of the year trying to play catch-up because they were not given proper education!

Posted January 17, 2013

I am the parent of two previous students and two current students with another one that will start next year. I love the curriculum and attention each individual student gets from the administration and teachers alike. My two oldest children were completely prepared for high school and went right into all honors classes, with the oldest set to graduate this year in the top 5% of her class. I credit the early learning and habits developed at Calibre Academy (formerly Carden Traditional). The staff, and especially the principal, truly cares for each student that comes through their door. My children too, have had teacher-changes in the middle of the school year. I have every faith that those changes are made with careful consideration, and in every case it has been for the betterment of the students. I applaud any administration that will stand up and do the right thing for their kids, regardless of how it may appear to the world. I highly recommend the atmosphere of caring for others, learning and thinking globally, and reaching for excellence that is taught, and modeled by staff, at this school. The beautiful new building is a plus to an already great school!

Posted June 27, 2012

I have been working at Calibre (formally Carden) for the past 7 years. I have seen the school grow both academically and physically. I love working with the wonderful families and other staff members. Both of my children go to the school and have been very successful. The administrators support both the teachers and staff. Teachers truly care about each student. Students are challenged and given support where needed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 18, 2012

My daughter has attended Calibre Academy (formerly Carden Traditional School) since kindergarten and is now going into the 5th grade. Calibre has always given her individualized attention and focused on areas that she struggles in. She really enjoys reading now and has shown major improvements in both reading and math. The smaller class sizes help limit the distractions in class and help her focus on learning. I am also PTA member and love how the parent involvement is so welcomed and appreciated. I highly recommend Calibre Academy to anyone looking for a nurturing and supportive school.

Posted June 18, 2012

I am writing this letter to express what a wonderful job your staff has done in teaching our children. After hearing about Calibre Academy (formerly Carden Traditional School in Surprise), the educational foundation and structure that your school offered, we without hesitation switched our daughter from a Dysart Unified School and enrolled her along with our son at Calibre. Our daughter attended a public school for three years prior to being introduced to Calibre and our son started out fresh into Kindergarten. We are very pleased at the first in class education that the instructors at Calibre offer. The smaller class size, more one-on-one with the students and the overall excitement to teach was amazing. The foundation that your educators have set, along with the hard work of our children has definitely been a plus. Calibre offers a family atmosphere and we know that what they do on a day to day basis is above and beyond what they would be learning elsewhere.

Posted February 3, 2012

My children have attended Carden for 6 years now and have really had a great experience. Two of my children have since graduated and i have a Kindergartner excited to come next year. Carden really prepared my kids well for high school and beyond. Both of my high school kids left carden and went right into honors classes. One of them will be taking AP exams and is college bound. He PSAT scores were great. I am excited about the new construction at Carden and the added opportunities that this well give them to enhance their educational experience.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First Middle years IB program in Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Curtis Garnder
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.calibreacademy.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Environmental
  • Mathematics
  • Service learning
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Model UN
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom