Calibre Academy of Surprise

Charter | K-8 | 650 students

We are best known for emphasis on strong academics.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 28, 2013

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!

Posted February 2, 2012

I have 2 children in Carden. We most likely will NOT be back next year! I am school shopping! My son has been there for 3 years and every year has been a disappointment and I'm finally fed up. Since Kindergarten, my son has had a new teacher that has either been new to teaching (fresh out of school) or new to teaching that grade. A new teacher right out of school for a year here and there is not bad, but a new teacher to teaching every year gets real old real quick @ my son's expense! Trust me it gets old when its every year. So when you have a new teacher, just when the teachers get good they leave because alot of them are not happy there. Even when I told them I want a guarantee of a 'seasoned' teacher for next year, they can't make that promise. The never ending need to hit parents up for money never ceases to amaze me. They don't take field trips hardly at all because no bus driver. The one field trip my daughter has will cost me 17.50. The communication from teacher to student needs to be improved on...they rely too much on 6 and 7yrs old to articulate the details on how to do the homework. We have yet to see this buidling they've been prominsing for years.

Posted December 8, 2011

My son attended Carden in the 8th grade. The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is amazing. It helped him to think globally. The teachers at Carden truly care about the students. My son loved the interactive hands-on learning. Carden s anti-bullying policy is amazing especially in the upper grades. The administrative staff is extremely welcoming and I love the open door policy the school has. I highly recommend this school and refer many parent to Carden.

Posted October 24, 2011

As with any situation, a parent must make the decision that is right for them and for their child. For my family, Carden is the right choice. I have two children, both with IEPs, and the care and attention given to them by both the special needs dept and their teachers (including the whole team) is something I can't put a cost to. Leaps and bounds better than any other school in this area that I've tried. Are there issues? Yes - what school *doesn't* have them? But, as an involved parent, I take the time to make phone calls, have meetings, and ask tons of questions. Carden is a special school - the teachers, aids, and admin staff are there to help the students. This is a way of life for them, and they are trying to have an impact on young lives. In my opinion, that's a lot better than being there because it's just a paycheck. I would recommend Carden to anyone. Take a look, and see if it's right for you. It may or may not be - only you can make that choice. But, keep an open mind and remember that a school is only going to be as good as what you emotionally put into it. This is your child's future - you need to work towards it, not sit back and let the teachers do it.

Posted March 14, 2011

We love Carden! My son has attended since pre-school and is now in second grade. Carden has a gifted program that is wonderful and I do believe he is in this class because of the attention from his previous teachers. They care about the students and keep the parents involved.

Posted November 25, 2010

This school is only good if your child is gifted because they only care about there test results. If your child happens to be a little behind or in need of a little extra help this school will shun them. I think it is sad my one gifted son does great at a school like Carden but my other son who learns a little differently is pushed away. What does that say for the charactor of this school?

Posted November 8, 2010

We love this school!! My daughter started here this fall and I am quite impressed. The principal and staff is awesome. There are so many different programs. As a military family that moves every 2 years, my daughter has already experienced many different public school environments. This is by far the best. Thank you Carden!

Posted August 5, 2010

Very good school. Helpful Staff, and the fact that they have a uniform policy helps the students focus, no worries about cliques etc. The programs are challenging but the children are walked through them as needed. Great area as well. One little complaint is that they do seem to be focused a little too much on promotions of the school, which in turn makes them seem a bit too concerned about monetary gain from the attendance of extra students. Do they really have to wear a logo on the shirt? why?

Posted July 6, 2010

I have 3 kids that all attend Carden. They all started in kindergarten, none of them had attended any preschool. They all have done very well, always on honor roll. The teachers are wonderful. Yes, there has been alot of turnover with the teachers but some of them left due to family illnesses, some moved out of state, some had babies they wanted to stay home with. You can't blame the school for any of that. Bottom line is, my kids are getting an excellent education, far better than any public school. We love Carden and our kids will continue to attend.

Posted June 11, 2010

We LOVE Carden of Surprise! My daughter excelled in Kindergarten. We will continue to make the drive now that we have moved to ensure she stays in such a good school!

Posted June 8, 2010

Carden School is not the great school that probably used to be. Many changes of principals and teachers, second and third grade. They are more worried of saving money than hiring aid teachers to help kids. My son was in that group and they put him with a woman that is not a teacher and she was yelling to him, when she should be helping him. This is a money making machine and all the time are asking parents for donations in any way. They don't have nurse and aid teachers. By the way, I wrote before my review, but I don't see my notes... Please tell the truth to parents that we are trusting this website for advise about schools in Arizona.

Posted April 19, 2010

My son has attended Carden for the last 2 years and we couldn't be more pleased. Due to some special needs, he has required additional help and services and the entire staff has been wonderful to work with. When we go into an IEP meeting, a whole team is there, ready with ideas, willing to participate and prepared to do anything they can to help our son succeed. Thanks Carden!

Posted April 7, 2010

The PTO at this school has been the best I have ever seen. The group of women they had the last few years were horrible. They had no idea what they were doing and completely on a power trip. Great improvement. The school need a lot of help and they do a good job.

Posted April 1, 2010

Show me something perfect and I will show you that is not the case.Nothing in life is about perfection and everything about subjective opinions based on individual experiences and specific circumstances.And from that very personal place is that I am voicing my opinion about Carden.This school has quickly become our second home,in other words it has become a place where learning occurs in a caring,safe and commited environment.My son is a happy student and classmate who is learning and having fun at the same time,and as a mother I have found my own place by helping and assisting whenever needed.Everytime I have had the need to share my concerns with school representatives(including the principal) I felt welcome to do so.Everybody is very personable and easy to approach.For as long as my child goes to school with a smile on his face Carden will remain our school of choice.

Posted March 28, 2010

I was thrilled with this school for the first couple of years my son attended. Unfortunately, I have been disappointed 2 years in a row now! Poor communication and lack of follow up from administration and a terrible choice in teachers by the school. I am sure the really 'gifted kids' are really challenged, I know the average kids are NOT. We will definitely be choosing another school that will give my child the challenge and encouragement he needs and better communication between staff and parents.

Posted March 15, 2010

I love to read all the reviews from people that complain....if there were more people that found out the reasons why things happen the way they do....people would understand what makes a school work. I have been at Carden for 5 years now...is it perfect, no....what school is? I find comfort in the fact that my kids learn and are happy. I have a son in the gifted program and a son that is your typical type of student. All aspects of learning are covered at Carden. We have a phenominal Gifted Coordinator that pushes to make everyone around her a better person. Teachers and Administration that do the best with what they have. But when it comes to areas that need work....parents need to be more involved. Its so much easier to criticise others when you dont know what's involved. I am happy to have the choice of Charter

Posted March 14, 2010

This school has major communcation issues between staff and administration and staff and parents. You can never seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Meetings were made weeks in advance between princpal, teacher, parent to have the principal not show.

Posted January 8, 2010

So disappointing to see a school that had so much potential go down the drain in just a few months. My son has attended since preschool and now is in his third yr at Carden, what a difference a year makes. Unfortunately Carden lost a good amount of teachers over the summer and now we are left with new teachers who are receiving no direction. We have no communication from the school on things that are going on unless it s from the PTO asking for money again that most likely will be used to buy that team dinner or coffee. With all the money the school asks for its parents to donate you would think we could at minimum get a nurse to care for our children.

Posted January 7, 2010

This school is the best!! The teachers really care about the kids. The kids are challanged and the communication is wonderful.

Posted November 22, 2009

Use extreme caution when choosing this school!!! This school is lacking in so many areas including its unmotivated teachers and numerous principals. My children are not being challenged at all, so such for their vigorous curriculum. I am pulling them out after winter break.

Posted November 12, 2009

This school as really come a long way. We have a great principle. The teaching staff is the best I have ever seen. The new PTO officers are doing a fabulous job. The kids are happy. The new phase of the building construction is going to begin soon. They are the ONLY IB World learner school in AZ for a middle school. The office staff is top notch. What more could you want?

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First Middle years IB program in Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Curtis Garnder
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.calibreacademy.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Environmental
  • Mathematics
  • Service learning
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Model UN
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom