Calibre Academy of Surprise

Charter | K-8 | 650 students

We are best known for emphasis on strong academics.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 28, 2013

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!

Posted October 28, 2008

My child has been attending for the past few years. Our daughter had special needs that were addressed from the very start by the entire staff. They seem genuinely invested in her education and progress. No school is perfect. If you were to ask parents of other local schools, the turnover rate is high there, as well. Carden does a great job of trying to meet the needs of everyone, and that is hard to do. I have very high expectations for the school we choose to send our child to. Quality of education comes first, and Carden more than measures up.

Posted October 14, 2008

Sadly, after several years I removed my children from this school this year. They have lost many great teachers and do little to retain them. Late contracts compared to the other schools leave some teachers no choice. They don't want to work with any child that might be difficult or going through trying times. I had tried going to the principal with poor results as teachers are always right. Some of the longer tenured teachers were previously allowed to 'pick' their students so new teachers got to work with the students that were handfuls leading the students and new teachers to failure. I do understand this year that has changed but at the cost to my kids education. They are flourishing at another school now.

Posted October 10, 2008

My kids have been going to Carden for 4 years nw. They did teach french untill last year. Many parents, me included thought that this was a waste of the kids school time, and that spanish would be a better choice, given that spanish helps when getting future jobs and french does not. The teach spanish to the middle school kids now, but not to the younger kids. I think the change is great but that they should also include the elementary ages as well.

Posted October 10, 2008

Carden is a great school to go to except 3rd,4th,6th,7th,8th have moblie homes and 5th grade have rooms indoors which Carden has to deal with.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 9, 2008

Interesting, Carden advertised offering French, including in their student orientations...only to find out, there is no foreign language offered at all!

Posted August 18, 2008

I have one child that has graduated and another who will this year. Combined they have attended Carden since 6th grade. While there are a few things the school is lacking such as a cafeteria, I think that out weighs the fact that the classrooms are small enough that children are offered the opportunity to actually learn something and be challenged. My kids have been in charter school their whole education minus one year in a dysart district school that had 47 kids to one teacher. The middle school core teachers communicate well with one another and the parents.

Posted May 27, 2008

My kids went to this school for 4 years. The school gradually got worse. When an issue with a teacher would come up it would be blamed on the child. I pulled my kids out. I had teachers from Carden telling me about the 'inside scoop'. I did not want to be a part of that school any longer.

Posted February 4, 2008

I like this school. My child has been attending since kindergarten. The class sizes are smaller than traditional school and the curriculum is challenging for him. We love the arts emphasis and french class.

Posted January 29, 2008

I recently removed my child from this school as the communication between teachers and parents was lacking. I was surprises by this as his previous two years at this school was great. I really believe that it depends on the teachers. Unfortunately we met up with the lacking teachers this year. In addition, the principle did not even question why we were leaving. This leads me to believe there are others who have left.

Posted November 5, 2007

I am a little shocked to read some of these reviews! I was a teacher at Carden for four years and in response to the comments for those years, I am a bit taken aback. Each teacher runs his/her classroom differently. Parents must understand this. Ability grouping is the best way to go, otherwise your child will not be receiving the differentiated instruction that is part of the charter! All schools go through rough patches, and I can tell you that it was just as hard for the teachers starting in modulars in Glendale as it was for the parents/students. Starting a new school is not easy, and I am disappointed that so many parents (and teachers, I was one of the naive ones) are/were negative about this school. True, everyone has a different experience, but give them some credit! Great school, I loved it there and miss it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 30, 2007

Who cares if they have classrooms in portables! The question is, are they learning? The answer to that is yes. And each year the scores seem to improve. So as a parent, I would like a building for all the students, but my main concern is education! I feel that Carden does provided the best education possible for my child. I love it here and my children will continue to go here for as long as they can. The teachers are awesome and the parent support is amazing! I could not ask for a better school for my child!

Posted October 22, 2007

I am not happy with Carden because the first thing that was offered was French and it has been cancelled. There is also much disorgaization from the administration.

Posted October 17, 2007

Love the school and everything that it has to offer to students! The only issue I have is that when my child was checked out by her grandparents, the front office did not ask for identification. Not only did that bother me, it concerned her grandparents.

Posted September 13, 2007

My children have been going to Carden-Surprise for a few years now. I have one in Third and one in First. I love the staff they are always professional and the teachers are wonderful. By children have accomplished so much at Carden, I wouldn't think of putting them anywhere else!

Posted September 12, 2007

My kids are going to a different school this year and I cannot believe the difference. They are actually in a class room,not a portable. The school they are at now is run very professionally unlike Carden. 3rd grade was great there, but anything after that was terrible.

Posted September 12, 2007

Carden has been a great school. My children have attended the school for two years. Carden has always been very helpful when it came to questions or concerns that I have regarding my child's education. The teachers work hard at making sure that I always know what is going on in the classroom. I had a concern with another child at one time because they were harassing my student. The principal was extremely helpful in resolving the issue and we have had no further problems. The teachers and staff work together to make this school a very welcoming place for myself and children. I have referred many of my neighbors to this school and would highly recommend it to other families.

Posted September 12, 2007

After a lot of research within the Dysart school district, Carden was the best in many categories. Higher test scores then p.E.C. They have just the right amount of homework and wonderful teachers. The ladies in the front office are wonderful. After only a month i have already noticed a big change in what my child has learned. Just look at all the results.I would highly recommend to any parent!

Posted September 12, 2007

The teachers and academics are great, but the principal is not willing to work with parents at all. I'm very disappointed in her leadership. I think there needs to be a change if they want to keep students.

Posted September 11, 2007

I hate the fact that the kid have to learn in the trailors. They also don't have room for a nurses office. So where do these kid rest when they are sick and waiting for a parent to pick them up? I am very upset at the way this school runs things. No room for extended care, they don't attend to children that have reading, writing, math etc. disabilities.

Posted July 26, 2007

Most of the teachers were great. We hated the trailers in the back. There is no cafeteria. The principals have been terrible. There is no parent participation. We did not stay there for long.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First Middle years IB program in Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Curtis Garnder
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.calibreacademy.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Environmental
  • Mathematics
  • Service learning
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Model UN
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom