Calibre Academy of Surprise

Charter | K-8 | 650 students

We are best known for emphasis on strong academics.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 28, 2013

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!

Posted September 26, 2014

The principal needs to go! I had an interview with her which turned into her trying embarrass my son like he did not no anything. That led me to investigate more about the school. My finding was 7 kids getting left back last year. That's scary. Their testing are a 7 that's should tell you something. Please don't put your child in this school.

Posted August 20, 2014

BEWARE!! This school presents itself as an excellent learning institution when it is far from it.. The principal is very rude, Uncaring acting as if she knows better than any parent.. The turn around of teachers is beyond belief. Some teachers have left mid year leaving children to adjust all over again to a new teacher.. The teachers will say one thing to the parent and another to the principal. They take no responsibility for their actions.. All blame is put on the children and parents.. They seem to favor holding children back without consideration of how it affects them.. The amount of children they hold back in each grade is just Unbelievable !! It is just impossible to say that many children need to be held back a grade without looking at what the school and teachers are doing wrong.. I have seen families leave this school only to talk to them later and tell me how well the children are doing at another school. I am also very glad i withdrew my children before it was too late and are now getting the proper education along with caring teachers and responsible principals. Do NOT but your children or yourself through the torment of this school.. Its not worth it..

Posted August 18, 2014

With any school you go to NOTHING is perfect, but at Calibre, the good definitely out weighs the bad. The drop off/pick up might be a pain but the things that really matter to the education and safety of the children is wonderful! The staff truly cares about the children and it shows. The curriculum is challenging and they set high expectations both in and out of the classroom for all students. They have band, choir, drama classes, Rachel's Challenge which brings awareness to the effects of bullying. They also offer sports to ALL children, K-8. Overall, I'm very happy with Calibre and my children will continue to attend this school until 8th grade!

Posted July 31, 2014

My school is a second home for my children... I feel as though they learn more than curriculum but life skills... As well as having staff and teachers that genuinely care... I never have to think twice if I made the right decision sending my 3 daughters to Calibre Academy.

Posted July 30, 2014

This school was horrible for both my kids. I had an intelligent daughter no social and or other problems attend here and because she hadn't started this school from kindergarten they wanted to hold her back a whole year even though she had straight A's. My son had issues with his teacher and because she didn't like him she intentionally made sure he got in trouble and let others slide. I had another parent I didn't even know who volunteered in his class confirm it as well and she didn't know me from adam I wanted to make sure my concerns were legitimate and they definitely were in fact worse. I would stay away from this school at all costs! Just because their name changed doesn't change the quality of this school whatsoever!

Posted April 28, 2014

What a fantastic school. Our son is finishing K this year and can't wait for our twin 4 yr olds to start in 2015. The staff is awesome. So refreshing to see admin and teachers that really put their hearts into our children's education. The school is managed very well. Very receptive to parent questions and suggestions. Communication is excellent! Facility is very clean. Location is very convenient for traffic flow, safety and clean environment. Wish we could have had our older kids attend here.

Posted April 28, 2014

I am very happy with the quality of education my children receive at Calibre. The school accepts feedback from families and continues to improve and grow.

Posted April 9, 2014

The teachers are great and so are the kids :) We have a great reading and math program that allows students the think deeper then ever before.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 7, 2014

My daughter is a 5th grader this year and has been attending Calibre since she was in 1st grade. She just loves her school and has always really enjoyed every teacher she has had. The school is smaller so the student to teacher ratio is smaller and lets the teachers work more one on one. All the office staff is great as well, they know the students by name and recognize the parents as well. I also really like how the students wear uniforms, keeps the kids concentrated more on learning than what others are wearing. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone.

Posted April 7, 2014

I have 2 kids attending this school. They have attended for 3 years. I have nothing but good thinsg tosay about this school. Prior to coming here my kids attended a private school and I was concerned the curriculum/academics and social aspects was not going to be as good. Calibre has met & exceeded my expectations. The kids here also seem to get along really well and there does not seem to be as much drama in this school as I have seen in other schools.

Posted April 7, 2014

Love this school. My son's Kindergarten teacher is amazing. The front desk at the South office is always so friendly and helpful. The principal is very easy to talk to and very helpful when needed for whatever situation your kid is in.

Posted April 2, 2014

Calibre Academy has it all! The education is free, they offer exceptional programs for your children - gifted programs, individualized learning programs, sports programs for ALL grades, performing arts, a very active PTA, and so much more! Calibre Academy is the place to be if you wish for your children to thrive and succeed. As a parent of one graduated student and one current student at Calbre, I could not say enough about how fantastic this school is. As the school grows and evolves, the one thing that really stands out is just how welcoming they are to all families. They truly care about each student and it shows!!

Posted April 2, 2014

This school has been great for us! My son struggled with the start of kinder year. The principal observed him and placed him in a class that better suited his needs. That teacher worked with us and communicated often. What started as a miserable year has transformed into a happy year. My son is excelling now and loves school. I love the good communication and the schools desire for parent involvement. So glad we chose this school.

Posted April 2, 2014

We absolutely love Calibre Academy of Surprise. We have been here for 8 years and will be here until my youngest (who is in 1st grade) graduates 8th grade. We feel like we are at home with the teachers and staff here at Calibre. Our academics are at the highest level and my children are challenged and love it here. We have amazing parents and an amazing PTA and I am so thankful we found Calibre.

Posted April 2, 2014

We came to Calibre (formerly Carden Traditional School of Surprise) from a Dysart District School 6 years ago and there hasn't been a single day that I regretted that decision. My son is learning more from quality teachers who truly care about his education and are not distracted by having to spend 3/4 of class time babysitting kids who don't care about learning. The teachers make an effort to individualize the learning process rather than trying to make the kids conform to one way of thinking. The principals are available, interested, and realistic. They 'get' kids and they have a vested interest in how each child is doing. They know each child by name, talk to parents, and are involved in the process versus being a peripheral part of the school. The PTA is active, award winning, and goes above and beyond to make families feel welcome and lets everyone get involved in activities. There are many opportunities for kids to shine--whether they play sports, an instrument, sing, perform in drama productions. love art, or just want a good, solid education--there is something for everyone at Calibre. As I said earlier--I have never once regretted moving my child to this school.

Posted March 28, 2014

This is the second year my son has attended Calibre Academy. The curriculum far exceeds that offered within the Dysart school district (my older son attended Sonoran Hts). Our youngest has excelled at this school. The teacher he has this year is awesome. She teaches to each student, not the class--so they can continue to be pushed to exceed to their individual ability. No school is perfect, but we are very pleased overall.

Posted January 14, 2014

This is our third year at Calibre Academy and I couldn't be happier with the quality of education that my children receive. The third grade team does an excellent job with communication and is always ready with a smile for any and all children. My son who started pre-k this year loves going to school and hates when he has to say goodbye to his teacher. The front office ladies are welcoming and seem to know every single child by name which is one reason the kids feel really valued. Anyone who has any negative words to say about this school has unrealistic expectations of what teachers and administration actually do. The PTA does so much and has one of the largest memberships in the area. In all, the teachers, administration, kids, and parents are what make this a great school.

Posted December 3, 2013

I moved here from a great school district and said I was going to try to find one of the best schools Surprise had to offer and feel I met my goal with Calibre Academy! The teachers are great, the staff is great, and the communication is great! The front office ladies Lisa and Tenisha are so welcoming! I am so surprised as to how much my child has learned in just the year and a half he has been attending this school. The PTA is awesome and it is so nice to see many parents involved in the day to day affairs at the school. They donate many hours of their lives for all our children to have special fun times throughout the year; Fundraisers, Book Fairs, Fall Festivals, Restaurant Nights, Box Tops etc. which raise money for the improvement of the school. I am so happy that the Sports Program is growing and it is nice that they offer sports to even the Kindergarteners! (Most do not offer sports so young) Don't make the mistake of checking out Calibre for your kids! It is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted November 14, 2013

As a parent at this school I felt compelled to review in response to the recent one star review. As a working mother, I appreciate all that Calibre Academy does to keep my child safe in the morning, so that I never feel unsafe dropping my child off. From the moment I pull up to drop my child off, and a smiling employee opens the car door to help my kindergartner out of the car, as a second employee watches him walk through the gate and a third and fourth, etc. supervise the children on the playground, I know he is safe. The PTA, of which I am one of much more than 5 members, works tirelessly to make this school better through fundraisers of all kinds, from weekly popsicle sales on Fridays to Jeans days and seasonal fundraisers. The programs the PTA puts on are beyond amazing! The sports program is superb and the sports director puts his heart and soul into making the program all it can be FOR THE KIDS. While I do think the the curriculum at Calibre is excellent, I believe it is the teachers and staff that make the school excellent.

Posted November 13, 2013

So this is my second and final review. I think that if your child is well behaved and pays attention without being distracted, talks out of turn, and is perfectly obedient, then this school is for you. They have a great curriculum but the teachers are horrible and unprofessional. I can hear another parents business because teachers shout stuff to parents or are loud when they talk of their issues. It is a charter school (a fake, non traditional school) like every charter school is. They do 10 fundraisers every month and they only have like 5 people in the PTA. They lack supervision in the morning with the exception of some lady who never smiles and sets the bad energy tone for your kid in the morning. The parents dont follow the rules, the sports program is a joke, and the kids lack supervision. Kids rough house and the adults do nothing. There are many other things I can say about this school but I prefer to write them in my blog which has earned me 234 followers every month, on average. I guess it depends on your preferences and understanding of the school system. Other than the teachers and staff, the school is amazing. They need more experience and new staff.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • First Middle years IB program in Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Curtis Garnder
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.calibreacademy.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Environmental
  • Mathematics
  • Service learning
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Model UN
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom