School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!
May 28, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Calibre Academy of Surprise 2

Posted January 10, 2016
As a long term parent with multiple children having attended this school over the years. This school deteriorates every year it seems. This year they can't keep teachers. My son is in 3rd grade and by December he has had about 5 teachers. I've lost track to tell you the truth. Clearly this school is doing something wrong or certainly nothing right by the teachers and therefore the kids are suffering. Pathetic.

Posted January 10, 2016
My children have had nothing short of amazing teachers in the 6 years we have had a student attending Calibre. This year is our first experience using their preschool and it has been a great experience for my preschooler who is learning so much in there. While the social aspect is important, it isn't the area that she has trouble with and I am impressed with the educational skills that she has already learned thus far. My 5th grader is flourishing this year and I'm so happy to see that some areas he had previously had issues with are ones he is overcoming. I realize that much of that is a culmination of all of the fantastic teachers he has had at Calibre as well as the intervention program, for which I am very thankful, but something about his current teacher has brought out more of him in class. He has finally grown enough confidence to participate and answer questions voluntarily and he even makes an effort to get to school on time (a huge relief), though Mr Swanson deserves some credit there as well because Band has created a passion for him that carries over to other areas. My 3rd grader began the year being bullied by a couple students but his teacher quickly ended the issue and has taken the time to get to know and understand my child. She has found ways to help diffuse his emotions when he gets upset and has even found ways to help him avoid meltdowns altogether, something that has been noticeable even outside of school. The Lil Colts Sports Program has been an amazing experience and my kids look forward to participating in the various sports made available throughout the year. The Athletic Director is very passionate about this program and is dedicated to teaching the children the fundamentals, the value of teamwork, and the importance of good sportmanship. The emphasis on putting forth their best efforts as well as learning how to overcome defeat are wonderful life lessons. We have been truly blessed by every teacher my children have had at Calibre, but it means so much that that has continued this year despite the many changes as well as because I have not had the time to be as involved as in previous years.

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
Suzanne Wiser is an amazing teacher. A few weeks into school she was asked to move from 1st grade to kinder. The class she took over for needed a lot of structure. Mrs. Wiser jumped in and turned the classroom I to a successful learning environment. The students are well behaved and know the routine. The amount of learning in there is unbelievable. We are so lucky to have such an amazing teacher!
Posted November 22, 2015

Posted October 17, 2015
They have always been great at communicating and offering extra activities that public schools don't. Furthermore my children are being challenged and are able to get one on one attention when needed.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 26, 2015
It of course depends on the teacher, not every teacher is going to connect with your child. My son's teacher did not connect with him but he still learned the basics. Not without struggling though. I was approached by a teacher who said she wanted him in her class so I'm hoping he gets her.

Calibre Academy of Surprise 3

Posted July 26, 2015
I was recommended that us school and it is WAY better for my kids then regular public school. The teacher my son had last year did not stay consistent with him, he has ADHD, and would try my advice once then give up it seemed. I am hoping this year to get a teacher that will be consistent. If you need to talk to the principle she has an open door BUT good luck she is always in meetings. Your best bet is to email to set up an appointment. The lunch is healthy and tasty and the school cares about the kids.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
They treat students all the same and want to raise well rounded children that graduated from Calibre.

Posted May 01, 2015
After reading the recent reviews. I feel obligated to write a honest review, not based on anger or spur of the moment. Like every schools, they go through changes and bumps are expected. The front desk staffs are amazing! They go beyond to help to assure a smooth transition. My son has been going to this school for three years and I've witnessed changes. It takes some time to adapt but that does not change the quality of the teachers (all are amazing!). In fact, my son's teacher Ms. Peterson was elected to receive a Silver Apple award! Teachers are attentive to your child's need. If your child falls behind on reading or math, you will expect for the child to attend mornings tutoring to get back on the track. What other schools offer this? As a Deaf mom, the school provided interpreters for every events that my son is involved in. This says A LOT about this school! They have an amazing PTA team! We, as parents and the school have to work together to see a successful learning environment for the children. No way other. Unfortunately, those negative reviews were from people who could not adapt the change for the best.

Calibre Academy of Surprise 1

Posted March 30, 2015
-a student Calibre is a horrible school. The teachers are always very rude to all the students. Ever since they did the remodeling and got new principles there has been a huge down fall. I have been going here for 7 years now and for the past 3 years have been trying to leave. The last 6 years have been better than this year. The principle was amazing. It always seems like they always spams all of they're money on dumb stuff and then have enough money to buy the important stuff. They are always trying to get money from the parents and when they do they go right on to spending it on line ice cream for after school. Don't go to this school if you want your child to be happy and love school.

Calibre Academy of Surprise 1

Posted January 10, 2015
The school principal needs to leave and they need a better vice principal! They expect the kids to be to perfect over there!! they need to learn how to be more compassionate towards kids follow through with what they say they're going to do. They also should look at the positive things kids are doing instead of always the negative things that they're doing! The tethers are ok nothing much to say about them. A lot of them have left from last year and that goes to tell you something. The front ladies are wonderful! Every time I'm in the Front office someone is always being pulled from the school. I also have talk to other parents And they have said the same. do your research before sending your child to the school

15688 West Acoma Lane, Surprise, AZ  85379
Last modified Calibre Academy of Surprise is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Calibre Academy of Surprise Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 205 reviews. Top