719 students|Calibre Academy
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Calibre has just finished a successful school year. We have seen huge academic growth in all of our students. This year we expanded the campus to double the capacity and added a beautiful gymnasium and cafeteria, as well as grassy fields to support our expanding athletics program. We anticipate an amazing 2013-14 school year!
May 28, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Calibre Academy of Surprise 1

Posted June 27, 2016
Bullying is tolerated by this school... It is public record and last year 2015- 2016 school year had 14 separate calls to the police department regarding bullying. One of them being our son. Our child was physically attacked, choked and bit where the skin was broken. He is only in second grade and the student that did this was suspended for three days. The student was allowed back to school. Once the bully was back to school he drew a picture of my son dead in a grave with a head stone that had his name on it. The school did not inform us or tell us this had happened. When we went to the school to discuss this and ask that the bully be expelled or at least taken out of my sons class, we were told that would not happen and if anyone was to be switched classrooms it would have to be my son. We said that was not fair. Our son was the good kid getting all A's... They shrugged there shoulders at us. Needless to say the child never got taken out of the school or moved. We ended up taking our son out of the school. Not a good school in our opinion.

Posted April 08, 2016
We've been going to Calibre since it was Carden, about 5 years now. My daughter has been in CAPP since 2nd grade, she is now in 4th. She absolutely loves the project-based learning style, frequently uses the 'habits of the mind' and genuinely overall loves her classmates and the challenge presented there. Like with all schools/classes, she sometimes struggles--however, her teachers and I have always kept a very open line of communication that my daughter is involved in and those obstacles are quickly remedied. CAPP is great for her because it allows her to delve into a subject matter on a much deeper level, something she keeps a keen interest in. Instead of reading about volcanoes, the students are more likely to build one, cause an eruption and then have discussion-based forums where different ideas and why's are presented. We absolutely love the program and hope to stick with it for as long as possible!

Posted March 30, 2016
Our daughter has been going to Calibre for two years. Pre K and K this year. Both teachers have been excellent and caring. The teachers listen to your input and keep you in the loop. Our daughter is doing exceptionally well. She loves going to school at Calibre.

Calibre Academy of Surprise 2

Posted January 10, 2016
As a long term parent with multiple children having attended this school over the years. This school deteriorates every year it seems. This year they can't keep teachers. My son is in 3rd grade and by December he has had about 5 teachers. I've lost track to tell you the truth. Clearly this school is doing something wrong or certainly nothing right by the teachers and therefore the kids are suffering. Pathetic.

Posted January 10, 2016
My children have had nothing short of amazing teachers in the 6 years we have had a student attending Calibre. This year is our first experience using their preschool and it has been a great experience for my preschooler who is learning so much in there. While the social aspect is important, it isn't the area that she has trouble with and I am impressed with the educational skills that she has already learned thus far. My 5th grader is flourishing this year and I'm so happy to see that some areas he had previously had issues with are ones he is overcoming. I realize that much of that is a culmination of all of the fantastic teachers he has had at Calibre as well as the intervention program, for which I am very thankful, but something about his current teacher has brought out more of him in class. He has finally grown enough confidence to participate and answer questions voluntarily and he even makes an effort to get to school on time (a huge relief), though Mr Swanson deserves some credit there as well because Band has created a passion for him that carries over to other areas. My 3rd grader began the year being bullied by a couple students but his teacher quickly ended the issue and has taken the time to get to know and understand my child. She has found ways to help diffuse his emotions when he gets upset and has even found ways to help him avoid meltdowns altogether, something that has been noticeable even outside of school. The Lil Colts Sports Program has been an amazing experience and my kids look forward to participating in the various sports made available throughout the year. The Athletic Director is very passionate about this program and is dedicated to teaching the children the fundamentals, the value of teamwork, and the importance of good sportmanship. The emphasis on putting forth their best efforts as well as learning how to overcome defeat are wonderful life lessons. We have been truly blessed by every teacher my children have had at Calibre, but it means so much that that has continued this year despite the many changes as well as because I have not had the time to be as involved as in previous years.

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
Suzanne Wiser is an amazing teacher. A few weeks into school she was asked to move from 1st grade to kinder. The class she took over for needed a lot of structure. Mrs. Wiser jumped in and turned the classroom I to a successful learning environment. The students are well behaved and know the routine. The amount of learning in there is unbelievable. We are so lucky to have such an amazing teacher!
Posted November 22, 2015

Posted October 17, 2015
They have always been great at communicating and offering extra activities that public schools don't. Furthermore my children are being challenged and are able to get one on one attention when needed.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 26, 2015
It of course depends on the teacher, not every teacher is going to connect with your child. My son's teacher did not connect with him but he still learned the basics. Not without struggling though. I was approached by a teacher who said she wanted him in her class so I'm hoping he gets her.

Calibre Academy of Surprise 3

Posted July 26, 2015
I was recommended that us school and it is WAY better for my kids then regular public school. The teacher my son had last year did not stay consistent with him, he has ADHD, and would try my advice once then give up it seemed. I am hoping this year to get a teacher that will be consistent. If you need to talk to the principle she has an open door BUT good luck she is always in meetings. Your best bet is to email to set up an appointment. The lunch is healthy and tasty and the school cares about the kids.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
They treat students all the same and want to raise well rounded children that graduated from Calibre.

15688 West Acoma Ln, Surprise, AZ  85379
Last modified Calibre Academy of Surprise is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.