9-12 & Ungraded
Surprise, AZ
Students enrolled: 2,030

Posted September 26, 2013
Our son graduated from Willow Canyon May 2013. He is currently attending Hofstra University in New York. He feels that he was sufficiently prepared for college. He played sports and developed a great relationship with his coaches.

Posted August 02, 2013
Willow has a great athletic program It is one of the best schools in the Surprise area

Posted August 01, 2013
WCHS is committed to students' learning and to their success in the real world. Teachers are tailoring their instruction to the students' needs and talents. It is amazing to experience the culture of learning and cooperation among teachers, students, and parents.

Posted March 03, 2012
I had an eldest son graduate from WCHS last year, a daughter in Honors classes ready to go into IB next year and an eighth grader. This school has a diverse student population but appears to get along quite well. The economy has hit families in this community very hard in recent years. With the challenges that would negatively impact a lesser high school this one continues to flourish. I find the teachers, staff and administration very caring and dedicated. Honors, AP and IB programs have given my children a quality education. I can always talk to a teacher, staff members or administration in a timely manner. The principal and other administrators can be found in classrooms, plays and sporting events. The band, drama, dance, student council and sports programs give student many options which my kids have taken advantage of while at WCHS. Before enrolling my kids I heard this school was the place to be. It has not disappointed in any way. I'm a big supporter of WCHS and have seen many positive changes in academics, extracurricular programs and school spirit. in my four year association. I strongly recommend this school and the work it does to prepare my kids.

Posted January 19, 2012
Willow Canyon is a mixture of good and bad and someone talking about the school, looking from the outside in, wouldnt understand. I went to Willow Canyon for two years and yes, there are unecessary fights, illegal substance use, and kids who really dont care. But, Ive also seen some of the most hard-working students and some of the most caring teachers in my experience there. The school is interesting and I dont know how anyone can put a rating on a school based on school spirit. Its a fun place to be with a welcoming presence. As terrible as it seems some days, overall those two years were the best years of my life and I wish I could go back to them. Anyone going to this school should appreciate it as should the parents.

Willow Canyon High School 1

Posted September 07, 2011
I was all in favor of Willow Canyon High School for all but the last 2 weeks of my daughters high school experience. My daughter was in band for 3.5 years, giving up Friday nights for football games, being dismissed at 11:30 only to have to be back on campus at 5:30AM for a festival. She poured her heart and soul into that band for over 3 years. She participated in marching band for all 4 years. The last semester of her senior she decided to take FEA as she wants to become a teacher. Little did she or we know that by doing so, that meant that Julie Trent, the band director, would essentially ostracize our daughter from band. She was not allowed be a part of the senior slide show at the end of the year, she was not allowed be recognized as a band member during graduation and she is now being told she is not a band alum and cannot play in the homecoming game. It has become very apparent that WCHS is only concerned in how you can help their school, not in your academic future. Miss Trent is sending the message that her band is more important the academic future of her students and shows no loyalty to her students what so ever. And the leadership of this school supports her.

Willow Canyon High School 1

Posted November 22, 2010
Recently, I attended the DECA WRLC in Washington, D.C. Kids from Willow Canyon were also in attendance. The kids were disrespectful, running around the hotel loudly and at all hours of the day & night, slamming doors, they even brought an XBOX to the conference (did they really attend the workshops?), and we only once-the night before the students checked out- saw an adult who seemed to be responsible for these students. As an educator, I take my supervision of students very seriously and actively. I also believe it's my responsibility to help students learn proper hotel etiquette, courtesy for other guests, as well as being good representatives of their family, their school, their community, & DECA. Willow Canyon students & supervisors did NOT represent well, at all!

Willow Canyon High School 0

Posted September 24, 2010
Education is questionable, but best in district. Plenty of activities and school spirit is very high. Many elective courses are offered and their focus on college is stressed highly.

Posted August 08, 2010
i dont agree much with these comments. i am a sophmore at WCHS and the teachers are great, they are friendly but strict enough to let you know what life is going to expect from you. i like the dress code also, i feel free to express my self as much as i can. they allow peirceings, hair colored, tight jeans, bright outrageous colors, ect. The only thing that i find bad about this school is the students. i have alot of friends that do drugs and really stupid stuff, and they have tryed to get me into it. now im not an anti-drug protester kind of person, but the first week of my freshman year i have seen gang fights, food fights, discrimination, and i've even been offered drugs. over all though i feel welcomed into this school

Willow Canyon High School 2

Posted July 26, 2010
i agree with the senior that posted that comment about students not caring and the teachers focusing on what you wear rather than to help you exceed in your learnings. i am about to be a senior and ive been there throughout my whole high school experience. To be honest, parents arent involved at all and teachers arent so nice. There are people who have 4.0 and higher grades and you wont beleive how many drugs they do. There is nothing to dooooo in surprise!!! so what do you think their going to do??drugs. But no matter where you go, there will aways be drugs on campass or people selling it. Parents think they know their kids. In my opinion, i wish i attended a Peoria District High School for a more fun experience.

Willow Canyon High School
17901 W Lundberg St, Surprise, AZ  85374
Last modified Willow Canyon High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Willow Canyon High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 95 reviews. Top