K-8 & Ungraded
Surprise, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,106

Posted August 09, 2014
After just 3 days of returning to school I couldn't be more disappointed in this school. The "Principal of The Year" Mrs.Winterstein has been a huge disappointment and bully. She yells at children like an angry, grumpy old lady. She gets in the faces of parents and staff to intimidate them. As a volunteer I do not feel welcomed by her, yet other parents are greeted like old friends. I felt like I was in "Mean Girls" and not a part of the Clique. Teachers have told me that she plays favorites and divided the staff. If you are liked you can come late and leave early; otherwise watch out! For such a "great school" they have a large staff turn over; who can blame them? She also allows some parents to pick their child's teachers while others are told no way! I feel sorry for anyone in this building.

Posted May 28, 2014
This school the worst school my children have ever attended. There is nothing in place for children with disabilities. The school calls me to have them picked up if they act out instead of learning how to work with them. The principal refuses to work with me, help me or is shows absolutely no compassion. She is rude and dismissive, even yelling at me and my kids. So my children have learned that they only need to misbehave and I get the call to pick them up. The teachers take their cues from the principal. During parent/teacher conference teacher didn't to talk to me at all.. I do not feel that they have the best interest of the children as a priority. It seems to be all about the numbers. When I asked if there was an aide that could work with them or maybe stay after school for extra assistance, I was told that there were no funds available to do this, Ultimately, it is my responsibility alone to get them to where they need to be. It is easier to work with the children that "get it" as opposed to helping the few that do not. This school does not embrace my child that has a learning need.

Posted May 18, 2014
This is an amazing school. We are so happy that our daughter Has the best teachers, and very polite staff.

Posted May 15, 2014
My son has attended this school for 3 years; 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. His 2nd grade teacher could not control the class. She was extremely overwhelmed. My son failed the state-mandated tests that year. We decided to give the school another shot. His 3rd grade teacher was amazing! She worked with my son one-on-one. He surpassed his AIMS tests. We were in a good place-until 4th grade. His teacher informed the school she would be out for the remainder of the school year during winter break. The school struggled to find a long term substitute until the end of March. From December to the end of March, my son's class was split into other classes on campus. Some days he was in a second grade classroom! He has lost another year! He has lost his passion for learning. And the school administration has not even bothered to address my complaints. We are done with this school! We are not taking another chance with my son's education.

Posted May 07, 2014
The staff is incredible and they always go out of their way to help the students and the parents. I have not ever been involved with a school that cares about the students well being so frequently. The curriculum is great and the teachers are amazing.

Posted April 23, 2014
Over all, I think this a great school and teachers will go above and beyond when a child is struggling

Posted June 21, 2013
I have 3 boys, one who attended Sunset and is now a Junior, I have a 3rd grader and will have a boy starting kindergarten. Sunset is among the best schools I have ever been associated with. The principal is amazing and the staff and teachers are amongst the best I have ever seen. Through all the budget cuts I have never seen any decline in enthusiasm and will to make sure all children attending this school is taught to the highest standard. I am blessed to be a part of the Sunset Hills family! Go Bobcats!!!!

Sunset Hills Elementary School 2

Posted April 04, 2012
Disappointed by this school...having had 3 children go here ranging from ADHD to gifted I have found the Prinicipal to be extremely biased and fake. She worries only about furthering her career and not truly helping the children in a manner that would help them grow and become better. Most of the teachers do their best but they are understaffed and classes are too large. I will be glad when this year is over and my last one leaves.

Posted September 09, 2011
We love Sunset Hills! The teachers are wonderful!! Unfortunately, the administrative and support staff leave a lot to be desired.

Sunset Hills Elementary School 2

Posted June 08, 2011
Teachers at this school are pretty good, it is the administration that are horrible. My son graduated 8th grade from this school, and at the ceremony a parent whistled for his child when his name was called and the principal yelled at him "There is no whistling in the school Gym" . I have also witnessed this principal yell and point her finger in the face of students who are being dropped off for school in the morning. Not very professional in my opinion, I am glad my child is out of this school.

Sunset Hills Elementary School
17825 W. Sierra Montana Loop, Surprise, AZ  85379
Last modified Sunset Hills Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top