Desert Oasis Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 489 students

Our school is best known for Growing Kids.

Posted August 28, 2014

I love this school. In fact, we are thinking about selling our current home but want to stay in the same school district. I can appreciate the small size of the school and I feel like most of the teachers are kind and really want to be there. My kids love going, to me, that is the first sign of something good. I agree with some of the other comments about the school's inability to find and retain good leadership. They just can't get the principal right. The most recent one feels less like a leader/principal and more like sorority sister. She's pretty obnoxious and unwilling to hear complaints about the school. I don't have to deal with her everyday, for that I'm grateful. That said, I can honestly say the handful of teachers that my children have had have been amazing. I am so impressed by their patience with the children and am more impressed by what they teach. Like I said, my kids have never had anything negative to say about any of their homeroom teachers.

Posted July 23, 2014

My first year was great at Desert Oasis, but the vibe at this school is much different. We had a teacher teaching at our school the whole year that was uncertified, parents were under the impression this teacher became certified. Some teachers were just overall unfriendly to both students and parents. I have been lucky to have two wonderful teachers since I've been at the school. I really hoped this school was going to be a great fit for my family but I can see now my families time at this school will be limited until other arrangements can be made. This school has severe disiplinary issues, never been to a school before with such issues with students. For new families beware this school is part of a 2 school district that is very poor. I just feel alot of families are stuck at this school because of location .

Posted July 23, 2014

I wasn't negative, until I couldn't get a Principal and a Teacher to follow through on ANYTHING. When I say involved; I mean involved with my kid, his homework, his assignments, his teacher, HIM! Just like every school, there are certainly some VERY good teachers at DOES; but with the LACK of leadership - I believe even they have struggles. AND I DID volunteer with your PTSA - I was treated like an outcast. They were all rude, not one introduced themselves to me and never extended a welcome when I arrived to do what signed up for. I know MULTIPLE families who are trying to figure out a way to go to a different school...just because they are coming back, doesn't mean it is by CHOICE, it is only by unfortunate circumstance and convenience! Teachers have left and pulled their kids as well... I had HIGH hopes for the school; I really did! I talked other parents into sending their kids there when we enrolled...Very disappointing! I don't want to move my kid around to multiple schools...but I will if it means getting a better education! DOES isn't it.

Posted July 19, 2014

Our family has been a part of DOES since it opened 6 years ago. My husband and I are both very involved at the school. We have seen 3 Principals come and go, and when it comes to leadership, our school just can't seem to get it right. The latest Principal has made some much needed changes, but has also done some major damage as well. She has a group of excellent teachers that could thrive under her leadership, but she has a "spy and report back" policy that allows staff members to tattle on one another. This has caused a lot of tension because it encourages gossip. I have seen the atmosphere of our school go from peaceful to toxic in just one year of having her as Principal. It's been so horrifying to watch. On a brighter note, the school has some excellent teachers! My kids have been blessed beyond measure. The PTSA is outstanding, and makes the school year fun for staff, parents, and students. If you want to make DOES your school, it can work. You just need to stay positive and volunteer. The PTSA and teachers need support!

Posted July 16, 2014

My children have been attending DOES since it opened it's doors, and I have been very involved since the beginning. The school has a handful of EXCELLENT teachers. My children have been very blessed to have good teachers almost every year. The PTSA is a group of hard working and dedicated parents and community members. PTSA makes the school year fun for everyone! I would love to give the school 5 stars, but our school can not seem to get it right when it comes to leadership. Our new Principal has made a lot of good changes, but she has also tainted the school with unprofessionalism that involves gossip and having a few teachers that 'spy and report back' to her. Our school district is small and in the middle of nowhere, and that's why I think leadership is able to get away with many things like allowing uncertified teachers and paraprofessionals to teach classes for a full day. I have been hoping for change for 6 years now, and still too many rules are being broken. My hope has always been that our school would get leadership in place that cares about our kids. We have so many discipline problems at our school and they are being ignored. It's complete chaos.

Posted May 20, 2014

WOW! Negativity from a parent who doesn't have a clue as to how our school runs. What is your definition of being an "active" parent? Maybe attending a field trip/two parent teacher conferences each school year? Get off of the couch and spend time in your child's classroom volunteering, reading to the children, getting involved in our activities. Get to know who is at our school-you'll love them just as much as the majority! I can say that we are proud to have been attending since the first day that the school opened. I have had 4 children in the school-my youngest will be in the first class that started here at DOES from Kindergarten. You are a newbie-our family has seen LOTS of changes in our school (some good and some bad) and we have all learned from these changes. We have come a LONG way and we welcome the change in the stricture and discipline that we now receive. We too have lived in the north DO community for the last 6.5 years and moved to our new location to remain at DOES. It is your choice where you put your child to attend school but it is what YOU and YOUR CHILD put into education to help them attain the goal of Honor Roll or Principal's List-not the teachers!

Posted May 19, 2014

Both of my children have gone to DOES since K and we love the school. Our sons teacher is awesome and he is always at the top of his class. My daughter is excelling as well and we are happy with the staff.

Posted May 19, 2014

My kids go to this school and I think it is a great school. We love both of our kids teachers.

Posted October 29, 2013

My husband and I live right down the street from Desert Oasis and enrolled our 5 year old nephew there when he and his sister came to live with us. His teacher seems very nice and enthusiastic but I started finding that in class to rush him she would write the answers on his paper with a high lighter and have him trace them. I told her I thought it was preventing him from really learning anything, as well it was all stuff he writes on his own at home. She stopped for a while and then I began finding his papers coming home like that again. Since the second week of school the receptionist started frowning whenever I would stop in the office to sign in before walking him to class. There were several times I would say good morning to her and she wouldn't even respond as well as another lady who is very cold and unfriendly in the same ways. It makes me feel very uncomfortable having to sign in everyday before taking him to class. I truly have no idea what I could have done to provoke such tension.

Posted October 1, 2012

I have been very impressed with my child's 5th grade teacher. Very caring, very professional and her classroom is organized and consistently set up for success. My child is having a very good year thus far.

Posted June 11, 2012

Very disappointed in the school district. My daughter has gone to this school since Kindergraten, has always got straight "E" and "A", we had the chance to put her in a charter school but she had to be tested before she could get in, when having her tested she now has to repeat the third grade in the charter school. Which was a shock to myself and my husband. This is NOT an A+ school district for education. The teachers and staff are awesome

Posted February 10, 2012

I recently enrolled my child at this school and I am very impressed with their professionalism and conduct. I heard some negative stories, but as with any profession there is good and bad so I don't put to much weight on the gossip. I highly recommend this school, personable and dedicated to quality education.

Posted May 27, 2009

This school is great and so is the techno teacher
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Dutch
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Angie Mason
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Dutch
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Sun City West Kiwanis

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
470
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
470
Students typically come from these schools
Kingswood
Parkview
Desert Moon

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Willow Canyon