Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____

I dislike this school the Principal is very rude didn't want to hear us when it came to staff members talking bad to my children very unprofessional I do not agree with the school uniforms at all not with how the school is ran

My son was a student here for two years before we decided to change schools. The sole reason being the Principal. As some one started in a previous post "sorority sister " is spot on. From outfits to makeup and hair! In no way does she look like a leader of a school. What is even worse is her attitude. She definitely favors certain staff and students and you can tell. If you have a complaint about something within the school she immediately becomes defensive and tries to argue with you. Until Desert Oasis gets another principal I will continue to send my kids elsewhere and recommend others do the same.

This school does not care about the parents or their children. First day of school 08/04/2015. I get a call that I have to leave work right now because my child is not registered for the after school program even though I paid the $60 registration fee. Lets back up to two weeks before summer(May). I registered my child for preschool because we had just moved to Surprise. My husband and I were told for two weeks that they will get with the director, Mr. Scott on an amount they wanted us to pay because its prorated. We had to go to them every day for the ten days. On the last day of school we were told not to worry about the two weeks my son attended. Now flash forward to Friday July 31st we get a call that we owe almost $600 for the preschool and that has to be paid before he can be enrolled into the after school program. My husband spoke to the director, Mr Scott. and they came up with an agreement to pay $140 a month including the after school program for a couple months. Now two business days later, the first day of Kindergarten, besides as a mom I am stressing out about how he is doing and how fast he is growing up (like all parents do) I get a very demanding call at work that I have to pick up my child because he is not enrolled in the after school program. Obviously confused I inform the woman that he is, I filled out the forms, we spoke with the director, and we paid them $60 for the registration for the after school program, which we have a receipt for. I am then informed that there is nothing they can do and I need to come get him. I of course then tell her that I paid for the registration therefore they need to watch him I cannot loose my job because they do not know how to do theirs. So I had to call the district. I am then told because Mr. Scott did not get a call back from my husband (remember the call from Friday the 31st? It is now two work days later on Tuesday)so that is why my son was kicked from the program. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! It was already confirmed! Seriously? Do not take your kid here. The test score rankings are horrible and so are the people that work here.

Just a horrible experience all around! I would not ever ever ever send my child to this school again.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Do not go to this school! For so many reasons! One reason we left was because they gave my child who has a severe allergy contaminated food on more than one occasion! At first they seemed apologetic and said it wouldn't happen again but when it did another time I was given MAJOR attitude by the person in charge of lunches,. She actually tried blaming it on me! Was not sorry at all. It happened a total of 3 times before I finally unrolled my child. I was also told at one point by one of his teachers that's he's "so quiet I don't even know he's there!" .. You don't ever say that to a parent! She had NO CLUE who my child was on a personal level.. And my child said all she ever did was yell. They were so beyond unorganized,. It was like one person would tell you one thing and someone else another.. They just can't get it together over there. Things wouldn't get sent home or they'd fail to inform parents of important events etc.. The office staff IS friendly but I have walked in on them gossiping on more than one occasion. I know it happens in that environment but a couple times they were so involved in their conversation they didn't even notice me standing there., very VERY unprofessional. The school we are at now is the complete opposite., in EVERY way.. My child is thriving and I've yet to have any issues. Be very wary before you choose to send your child to Desert Oasis:

I love this school. In fact, we are thinking about selling our current home but want to stay in the same school district. I can appreciate the small size of the school and I feel like most of the teachers are kind and really want to be there. My kids love going, to me, that is the first sign of something good. I agree with some of the other comments about the school's inability to find and retain good leadership. They just can't get the principal right. The most recent one feels less like a leader/principal and more like sorority sister. She's pretty obnoxious and unwilling to hear complaints about the school. I don't have to deal with her everyday, for that I'm grateful. That said, I can honestly say the handful of teachers that my children have had have been amazing. I am so impressed by their patience with the children and am more impressed by what they teach. Like I said, my kids have never had anything negative to say about any of their homeroom teachers.

My first year was great at Desert Oasis, but the vibe at this school is much different. We had a teacher teaching at our school the whole year that was uncertified, parents were under the impression this teacher became certified. Some teachers were just overall unfriendly to both students and parents. I have been lucky to have two wonderful teachers since I've been at the school. I really hoped this school was going to be a great fit for my family but I can see now my families time at this school will be limited until other arrangements can be made. This school has severe disiplinary issues, never been to a school before with such issues with students. For new families beware this school is part of a 2 school district that is very poor. I just feel alot of families are stuck at this school because of location .

I wasn't negative, until I couldn't get a Principal and a Teacher to follow through on ANYTHING. When I say involved; I mean involved with my kid, his homework, his assignments, his teacher, HIM! Just like every school, there are certainly some VERY good teachers at DOES; but with the LACK of leadership - I believe even they have struggles. AND I DID volunteer with your PTSA - I was treated like an outcast. They were all rude, not one introduced themselves to me and never extended a welcome when I arrived to do what signed up for. I know MULTIPLE families who are trying to figure out a way to go to a different school...just because they are coming back, doesn't mean it is by CHOICE, it is only by unfortunate circumstance and convenience! Teachers have left and pulled their kids as well... I had HIGH hopes for the school; I really did! I talked other parents into sending their kids there when we enrolled...Very disappointing! I don't want to move my kid around to multiple schools...but I will if it means getting a better education! DOES isn't it.

Our family has been a part of DOES since it opened 6 years ago. My husband and I are both very involved at the school. We have seen 3 Principals come and go, and when it comes to leadership, our school just can't seem to get it right. The latest Principal has made some much needed changes, but has also done some major damage as well. She has a group of excellent teachers that could thrive under her leadership, but she has a "spy and report back" policy that allows staff members to tattle on one another. This has caused a lot of tension because it encourages gossip. I have seen the atmosphere of our school go from peaceful to toxic in just one year of having her as Principal. It's been so horrifying to watch. On a brighter note, the school has some excellent teachers! My kids have been blessed beyond measure. The PTSA is outstanding, and makes the school year fun for staff, parents, and students. If you want to make DOES your school, it can work. You just need to stay positive and volunteer. The PTSA and teachers need support!

Last modified Desert Oasis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.