Tempe, AZ

Scales Technology Academy 2

Posted September 17, 2013
I sent my daughter to this school for Kindergarten it was the worst mistake I have ever made. Her teacher was good but the students are violent and have no home training. Moreover, the parent involvement is horrible. My daughter would come home sad everyday compared to now where she loves the kids, teachers and enjoys going to school. It's sad when your child comes home and ask if she's Mexican (students were asking her). My daughter is now in Kyrene Ahwatukee area and was the best decision I made for her. If you are an involved parent and have the means do not send your child to this school It looks nice the staff is good IT"S the parents and it shows through behavior of the students. Last two points Her kindergarten teacher would tell us that kids In Kindergarten would talk about choking, stabbing and beating other kids up this is kindergarten. Myself while walking to the car a second grader calls a little girl a B** and says get your A** over here just not a good environment. The second star is for the staff and the technology they try to add.

Posted July 17, 2013
My son really enjoys this school and his teacher last year was amazing! The school itself is beautiful, and the other teachers I have chatted with seemed nice and welcoming. I do believe the office staff needs to be a little friendlier. I know it can get overwhelming up front but being approachable is apart of the job. The only issue I really had last year was that in the summer the classroom seemed really warm, and my son would come home saying it was hot inside. Students can achieve more in a comfortable environment, so I hope to see an improvement this year.

Posted June 16, 2013
My daughter has attended this school since Kindergarten (Fall 2010), thus far I am very happy to say we will continue to drive her daily (6 miles away) as it has been wonderful. Scales has a great atmosphere, it is not too large and the turn over of teachers is low. A great asset to this school is the PACE program!

Posted June 24, 2012
My chid attended Scales for the 2011-2012 schol year. We had a great experience there.I have heard great things about Dr. D,however, I have not had any issues or concerns with MaArtha Jacobo. The current principal there. There was a bullying isue that arose in the begining of the year and as expected it was dealt with right away and proffessionally. My child wants to attend Scales for the 2012-2013 school year, I know it's becuase he is happy there. Thank youMrs. Robinson( Kindergarden Teacher) for a great experience!!

Scales Technology Academy 2

Posted January 13, 2012
We have been very involved parents since our daughter at Scales in kindergarten in 2008. Since the change in administration this year, I fear that this school is becoming like all other problematic schools in the area. Parent involvement has been discouraged, to the point of not feeling welcomed at all. The new admin personnel seem to thrive on their new titles & like another reviewer stated, are very dismissive. I have noticed an increase in bullying not being dealt with appropriately. The atmosephere is more tense and not family oriented anymore. I must say that I am glad we are moving out of state and if we weren't I'd probably be looking for a new school for our daughter's 4th grade year this fall. It's unfortunate, because when Dr. Diokno was there we loved this school and were willing to drive our daughter from wherever we lived to take her there.

Scales Technology Academy 3

Posted January 13, 2012
The Principal at this school changed before the year began and we were not aware until we attended meet the teacher night. Dr. D seemed like a great Principal and was the reason we choose this school. Our kids, along with other kids attending this school have disliked this school. We came from Meyer Elementary and have felt that the new Principal is not good. She allows bullying and there are several fights weekly. Children actually physically fight! I am changing my children's school next year.

Scales Technology Academy 1

Posted September 29, 2011
I am so disappointed in Scales this year. My children have always loved school- until this year. We have been here since it opened, kindergarten through now. Dr. Diokno and the staff made Scales such a warm and loving and family oriented place. The teachers really cared and Dr. Diokno ALWAYS made our children and us feel special and welcomed. The new principal, Mrs. Hohobo is mean to the kids and doesn't want to speak to us parents. When she does talk to parents, she is dismissive, and literally puts her nose up in the air like she is better than us. I have heard her on several occasions, when I've been in the office, tell the office staff that "they are her problem" referring to parents and deal with them. Mrs. Himenez is so wonderful and always so helpful, but I can see that it is hard for her to be mean to us like the Principal. I also know it is a problem when the teachers talk about the principal and are negative towards her. It is so different from last year. Dr. Diokno listened to us and really cared. He did not always do what we wanted, but at least he made us feel like what we said or thought was important. Bring Dr. Diokno back, get rid of Mrs. Hohobo!

Posted July 17, 2011
My child has just finished his first full year at Scales Technology Academy, and I have found much to praise about the school. Dr. Diokno and Ms. Valadez were two of the first people I worked with there, and as noted in other reviews, they are exceptional educators. But there are many exceptional teachers and administrators on the Scales staff, including at least two retired staff members who continue to volunteer at Scales. A stellar staff is not the end of my praise for Scales Technology Academy. The administration does not sweep problems under the rug; I have found them always eager to discuss any problem that comes up. The way they address these problems is what I admire most about Scales. They do not diminish problems, or solve them by turffing problems to special schools or classes. Rather, they hold everyone (child, parent, or staff member) accountable for their actions or lack of action, set up realistic solutions, and then execute the solutions. In this way every child is not only allowed, but expected to succeed to the limits of his or her ability. My child and I both look forward to next year at Scales.

Posted June 06, 2011
My daughter loves Scales Technology Academy!! We have always lived in the Scales neighborhood but through first grade my daughter attended a private Montessori school. This past year, we made a transition and she began 2nd grade at Scales and we couldn't be happier. The school administration and teachers have been great to work with and really supportive. My daughter loved Mrs. Valadez and was always excited to go to school. There were also a lot of opportunities for her to participate in after school and extracurricular activities, like student council, design squad, the PACE program, the talent show and now she is attending summer school and camp invention... all which are no additional cost!! I highly recommend Scales for the great educational experience they have provided my daughter and the supportive environment for both the kids and the parents.

Posted April 26, 2011
This school is most concerned with the goal of educating their kids. I was taken by surprise by the principal Mr. David D'okino. *(spell check) He is regularly seen meeting and greeting parents when we pick up our daughter. He knows pretty darn near every kid by first name!! This is the prime example of a passionate, dedicated, involved and consummate administrator. Its because of him that my youngest (who is now one) will also be attending when its time. Madison is now in her 2nd year at Scales.(1st grade) Her reading is terrific! Her comprehension has improved greatly, and looks forward to school everyday. She has been in Mrs. Jacks class since the year began. I just can't say enough great things about this educator. She is kind, involved, caring, and respected by her students. She is the reason Madi is always thrilled about how fun it is to go to school! We have attended several functions from reading with our kids in the library, to the Halloween party. Scales did everything possible to help us when times were tough and money was tight. From providing uniforms to reimbursing our fuel costs, to ensure Madison would get to keep coming to their wonderful school.

Scales Technology Academy
1115 W 5th St, Tempe, AZ  85281
Last modified Scales Technology Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Scales Technology Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top