Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 22, 2015
Thank you to the many dedicated teachers at Tempe Prep who share their talents daily!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 22, 2015
The rigorous academic curriculum and high expectations from teachers definitely develops persistence, grit, and determination -- along with the variety of extracurricular athletic opportunities at the school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted October 22, 2015
Tempe Prep has a community service requirement for all high school students. My children's classmates are actively volunteering regularly at several Valley hospitals, animal shelters, Hospice of the Valley, Feed My Starving Children, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Mary's Food Bank, community gardens, the Tempe Public Library, etc. Many students are also volunteering on campus and in the community with the school's National Honor Society. And there are also a lot of Tempe Prep students helping younger students as volunteer peer tutors during lunch time and after school.

Posted October 22, 2015
I love this school! I love the depth of the curriculum and the dedication and exceptional academic qualifications and maturity of the teachers at Tempe Prep. I love the discussions that my children have after school with classmates (or at the dinner table) based on the great ideas examined in the rich curriculum and literature that they study and discuss in class. I am also a big fan of the school uniforms so that students appreciate other students for who they are rather than what they wear (and we can avoid spending money on expensive, trendy clothes). I have two children currently at Tempe Prep and two children that graduated from Tempe Prep, were accepted to top universities, and were fully prepared through their Tempe Prep classroom experience and extracurricular activities to succeed in both the academic and extracurricular aspects of college. I certainly wish that I personally had been able to attend a school like Tempe Prep when I was growing up. I wish that I could have had a challenging middle school curriculum and then 4 years each of math, foreign language, English, history/social studies, lab science, and fine arts -- and the opportunity to read and discuss Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Marx, Shakespeare, Locke, and Thoreau, etc. with college professor level teachers -- when I was in high school. Kudos to the administration and faculty at Tempe Prep for offering a challenging curriculum with an emphasis on developing critical thought and holding high academic expectations for students.

Tempe Preparatory Academy 2

Posted September 02, 2014
The school is on the decline. Declining enrollment and test scores. Poor leadership. Teachers tend to leave in large batches. They do not have a wait list for the first time in years. Parents are showing a willingness to pull their kids in high school. This school is not recommended.

Posted April 13, 2014
Tempe Preparatory Academy is a small but amazing school. Being a Charter School in Arizona it receives only 79% of the funding as a regular public school yet is ranked among the top 5 High Schools in Arizona. The students at this school would benefit hugely from winning a contest like this. Our school is in need of basic items that are taken for granted in larger fully funded schools. Examples would be equipment for our science and chemistry rooms, a computer lab, and much much more. We ask that you seriously consider TPA, as we would spend the money wisely and in the best interest of our children. Please take a few minutes to research our little school, you won't be disappointed. Founded in 1996, the students are taught in the Socratic Method, with all honors classes, and a wait list of several hundred just to get into the school. Our campus is humble and yet it starkly contrasts the brightness of our faculty, staff and student body. As a parent I am grateful for the structured nature of the campus and the like mindedness of the staff to have our children be honorable young men and women while growing leaps and bounds academically. Thank you!

Tempe Preparatory Academy 4

Posted March 01, 2014
Tempe Prep overall is a wonderful community. This is a very academically challenging school. Only send your child here if they are willing and able to do 3 hours of relevant (not busywork) homework a night. All classes are honors classes, however, I know of kids at McClintock High School that are taking Advanced Placement (AP) courses, and working a lot less. To it's fault, Tempe Prep does not offer AP classes. Also, the curriculum is set. You only have one elective option: language. There are no free electives you can choose, for example, No Engineering, No Computer Graphics electives you might get at a large High School. The teachers are excellent. They work hard, and expect your child to do the same. The college counselor, Mrs. Karin Moffitt is absolutely the best! If you are looking for a good humanities focused school, that demands a lot from your student, go here.

Posted December 06, 2013
I am very happy with my decision to bring my child to Tempe Prep. The teachers care. They want to see your child succeed and do NOT accept anything less than their personal best. My child came to the school as an 8th grader behind in math. Her math teacher has gone far above to help. She took the time to find out where her problems are so they could fix them. Morning tutoring, afternoon tutoring, constant communication with me and positive reinforcement for my child. I have never seen my child so excited about math. I love it!! Her improvement has been phenomenal. Teachers who care make a difference. Thank you Tempe Prep

Posted November 14, 2013
I graduated from Tempe Prep in 2012, and this school has prepared me very well for college. I was initially worried because a lot of my college classmates came in with a lot of AP credits and were almost a year ahead of me in school, but I have found that the foundation Tempe Prep provided me with has allowed me to more fully understand the material taught in classes. For example, Tempe Prep provided me with a fundamental understanding of Calculus, rather than just the skills of differentiation and integration. The Socratic style of teaching at Tempe prep also enabled me to understand my learning style (Listen, then contemplate, then practice, then teach), which has helped to ease the college courseload. Take this all with a grain of salt. Academics have always come easily to me; I wanted to provide a view of life after high school for those worried about college. What I liked the most about Tempe Prep was the sense of community it provides. Yes, it doesn't have a ton of extracurricular options, but the ones offered are quality and the administration is open to students starting clubs. I do wish that the school had stressed more that AP tests should be taken.

Tempe Preparatory Academy 1

Posted May 21, 2013
With only a few great exceptions, teacher quality at this school is extremely poor. And teacher attrition is high. We dealt with a math teacher who bullied our child all year long and intentionally failed our child while the headmaster twiddled his thumbs. This teacher is leaving the school and I hope she is never allowed to teach children again. She thinks that by giving ridiculously long and difficult tests that she is somehow effective. Nothing could be further from the truth. She gossips about students and plays favorites with grades. All around horrible teacher and horrible experience.

1251 E. Southern Ave, Tempe, AZ  85283
Last modified Tempe Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.