No rating

Our Lady Of Mount Carmel School

Private | K-8

Living in Tempe

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $118,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted May 28, 2014

I absolutely hate this school!!! I have been going here for a while, and get home feeling horrible!!! There is a huge amount of bullying, the principle addresses nothing, it is not a true religious education, teachers choose favorites, girls wear skirts from kindergarten in 8th grade, showing off way too much skin, there is too much physical contact between girls and boys. I have seen several arms around each other, it is disgusting!!! You constantly hear swearing, girls are very mean, and the academics are horrible!!! For a few days in June, you have to pay a full month of tuition!!! Take it from a student, do NOT enroll your child in olmc tempe, they will get plenty of stress!!!

Posted July 24, 2013

I am sorry to say that I was very disappointed in OLMC. The majority of the staff do not follow christian, let alone catholic, values. They are wonderful actors, but behind the scenes this school is a mess. Children are not disciplined equally and they have lost many wonderful families due to their child being bullied and it being swept under the rug. The parish community, however, is wonderful. The religious education director is amazing.

Posted April 29, 2013

The school has a great family and community atmosphere, and with small class sizes 18-20 kids per class, the teacher has time to spend with every child and knows the family too. While the academics may not be as challenging as they could be, my children are nurtured socially, emotionally, and spiritually and are happy all the time. By the time the kids reach the 8th grade, the academics all work out before high school, and my oldest was better well rounded, grounded, and mature for the high school environment anyway.

Posted April 7, 2013

This school is amazing. All of the teachers are very kind and none are mean or rude. The principal is also very nice, as well as all of the staff.

Posted December 18, 2012

We have a 7th and 4th grader at OLMC and they have both been there since Kindergarten. We have been very blessed to have found a school where our children are thriving, not just academically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. They truly educate the entire child! The Adminstration knows each family (and student) individually and is always available to speak to you. The teachers are caring and work with the children as individuals. The school is focused on technology and has made improvement in this area. The Administration is open to suggestions and is willing to listen and try new ideas that come from the OLMC community. The families are wonderful and involved. I highly recommend families come and check out our campus. There is definately a wonderful vibe about the Administration, teachers, students, and families!

Posted January 18, 2012

We pulled our children out of Mt. Carmel for financial reasons. The cost was becoming more than we could manage, and most of the financial assistance is geared toward low income families. It was with much sadness and worry that we left. After moving them to a local public school, however, we were shocked to see how much they had been missing academically. Their grades were good at Mt. Carmel, but they were instantly behind once they left and spent half a year catching up to their peers. It was surprising, and it made us a little sad, given the hard sale parents are given about the academic advantages they receive at Mt. Carmel. It is a fine Catholic environment, but only this justifies the cost; despite the hype, the academics are not up to standards compared to the right public school curriculum. While we did initially leave because of the cost of tuition, in the end we are relieved that our kids are now getting a better education. A sad realization.

Posted September 12, 2011

This school is an absolute blessing for my three children, and I have been impressed with every aspect of daily life at OLMC. It is a solid, faithfully Catholic community, and my children are thriving educationally in this faith-centered environment. I love the way our faith is woven into everything throughout the day as it should be! The administration and staff are excellent, caring, connected, responsive, and dedicated. The greatest thought and care is put into everything they do. The teachers have been wonderful and kind, and the quality of instruction is very high. The community of children has been warm and welcoming to us as newcomers, and any instances of normal misbehavior are handled quickly and appropriately. I wouldn't have my children attend any other school in the world, and we will be an OLMC family for life.

Posted February 28, 2011

My two older children went to Mt. Carmel and then I took them out and put them at the school across the street from our home. I liked the community aspect of OLMC and the staff we're always very welcoming. However, academically, you just can't beat the Kyrene school district. I have one child currently in their Little Lambs pre-school and I am having a serious debate with my family on whether or not he will attend school there. I have trouble justifying spending money on a school who's processes of learning are somewhat outdated. For example, Math. At Kyrene they teach "mental math". My son has friends and cousin's at OLMC, same age, who are so behind in the way they process math problems. Another example, computers. At my neighborhood school, from K-5 every classroom is equipped with 2 Dell desktop and 6 Dell laptop computers. The teachers use a "smart board" instead of a chalk board or white board. My son types his projects and homework at home, saves it on a "jump drive" and downloads it at school. I gave OLMC 3 stars because the community and safe atmosphere, but academically, really think about it if you have schools in your area like ours.

Posted February 13, 2011

Mount Carmel has been a great shcool. The work is challenging and there is a noticable difference between the work my daughter receives there and what other children we know receive at public shcools. The community is wonderful and there is great parent participation. It is worth every dollar.

Posted June 17, 2010

The first five years at the school were really great, not without problems, but overall great. The last several years have brought many changes, most of which are not positive. The faculty seem to pick and choose which children get disciplined. The restrooms are always in a terribly aweful state during the school day. There is too much bullying and meaness among the children. Not exactly a reinforcement of Catholic values we were hoping for. The education isn't bad, but the atmosphere in the playground and elsewhere outside the classroom is bad.

Posted April 2, 2010

My child attends Kindergarten at OLMC. Teachers and administration go above and beyond. Plenty of volunteer opportunities for parents. It's a pretty tight-knit school where kids can feel safe and understood. The principal is no-nonsense but also very personable. As for the educational challenges...if your child requires more of a challenge, than they are more than willing to work with you. I noticed an earlier review that mentioned the reading level was too low for the child. This is interesting, since I have witnessed firsthand the continual review of individual children and their reading levels. My child's class has kids still learning basic words and then other kids who read on a 3rd grade level. And all are learning at the pace they need. Big thumbs up on OLMC!

Posted October 7, 2009

It's a small, close-knit community and a calm environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 26, 2009

I am a student at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and I'm in the 8th grade. I stared the school in 6th grade and love it. Mt. Carmel's teachers are wonderful and really work with the children and the principle leadership is above expectations. I can only say good things about Mt. Carmel and am certainly going to miss Mt. Carmel when I'm in high school. Mt. Carmel is a great school to send your children to learn in a safe and loving environment.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 4, 2008

My child attended the preschool at OLMC (LIttle Lambs) and has been in the elementary school for two years now. I am more than please with his education. The teachers are very dedicated and highly qualified. The music program they have is wonderful. The music teacher goes above and beyond to put together a great program. Starting in the first grade students also have Spanish two days a week. My daughter will begin Kindergarten in the 2008-09 school year and we are looking forward to having another child part of the OLMC community. A great education in both standard academics and the Catholic faith.

Posted May 17, 2008

When we first looked at schools five years ago, I looked and looked until we visted OLMC. At that point, my search came to a screeching halt because I knew OLMC was everything I was looking for in a school for my daughter. I have never been disappointed - OLMC has more than fulfilled my expectations. Bottom line is that I feel that my children are truly loved and academically challenged. The faculty and leadership are outstanding. The campus is older and might not be as striking as other schools. Don't let external appearances misguide you - what lies inside is golden.

Posted May 13, 2008

Our son went through 8 years and graduated from OLMC and our daughters have been there for 5 years now. Rigorous curriculum, strict discipline, caring, Christian teachers! ttetteachers.environment

Posted May 9, 2008

I have 2 children currently enrolled at OLMC. We moved into the area last summer and this was the only Catholic school near our home that our children were able to enter without being on a waiting list. So we took a chance with this school. So far the school has many high points but also many areas for improvement, as all schools do. I have always believed the teachers make the experience positive for our kids. Both my kids had great teachers this year. The principal was completely open to hear and address any of our concerns. The librarian knows all the kids by name. Recess time would be enhanced with playground equipment. Academically, I am sure our kids could find a more challenging atmosphere, but in elementary school, I personally don't believe that is necessary. We will consider moving them in middle school to a more academically rigorous

Posted March 24, 2008

I couldn't disagree more with the post from July 2005. That school did nothing but Challenge me. When I enrolled at OLMC I didn't speak any English. Sister Valeria (the principal at the time) took great care of me & closely monitored my progress. They assigned an 8th grader to tutor me in class & later a volunteer mom to tutor me after school. With the added help of watching Sesame Street twice a day, in 2 months I went from no English to being able to communicate fairly well & in 4 months you couldn't tell me apart from the native kids since I had no accent & still don't. Could I have done that without them? Eventually maybe but, much of my success was due to the dedication & nurturing I received from the OLMC staff. To this day I have very fond memories of that school.

Posted March 16, 2006

OLMC is a wonderful school! Our children have thoroughly enjoyed their time there. The staff is positive, professional and hard working. The arts, sports and other activities are widely available for students. Parents are a key component to the school's success. If you're looking for a positive Catholic environment for your child to learn and grow both, academically and spiritually - OLMC is the best choice in the Diocese.

Posted February 24, 2006

I am a former student of OLMC. I am now number 1 in my sophomore class. OLMC greatly prepared me for high school. The teacher, staff, parents, and administration were some of the most supportive people I've met. I was challenged everyday in my classes and have reaped the benefits everyday in my high school career. I recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a school deeply rooted in Catholic values that will meet all students' needs.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2117 South Rural Road