Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)

JMPS exceeded all expectations I had when looking for the perfect school for my daughter five years ago. A friend recommended I check this school out based on one of the plays she saw six years ago. My first impression of the campus was not the best as the facilities were not state of the art and a little run down, but I liked what they had to offer by way of education and decided to take a chance and enroll my daughter who would be starting 8th grade. This was the best decision we ever made for her. Not only does this school offer a challenging curriculum to prepare their students for college, they offer so much more. They understand that school is not just about education, but about community, the arts, sports, family, responsibility, patriotism, camaraderie, and so much more. Our daughter, who has always been exceptionally bright, needed a smaller school where she wouldn't get lost in the mainstream. JMPS has teachers who are dedicated and care about EACH and EVERY student they teach. These exceptional teachers truly KNOW their students. They not only care about their academic achievements, but about them as individuals. I've watched so many students thrive and excel under the tutelage of these gifts and caring instructors. These teachers invest their lives into the lives of their students. Because this school is small and only receives limited funding, the teachers step up and wear many hats, from english, math, history, science, to tap, music, theater, track, football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc. They also teach several "club" classes such as archery, tap, french, rock and roll, dance, robotics, etc. If there are enough students with an interest, a club class will be born. This school encourages creativity. This school has a way of bringing about the very best your child has inside. The teachers challenge their students in so many areas to help them find their true gifts. This is so evident when you see one of their drama plays or musicals. How these teachers extract the amazing talent in the students is still a mystery to me. Yet, I am always amazed when I see one of their performances which far surpasses anything you experience in HS. I have been brought to tears of laughter, joy, and sadness by these amazing students. There is so much more I would like to write, but space is limited.

This school has been a great experience for my daughter. The staff are committed and love the school and the kids, and my daughter is getting a great academic education, plus all the extra-curric she can handle. Plus, there is an emphasis on character as well as classwork. She's been very happy here.

Amount of homework: no rating

my child usually gets her homework done at study hall/in class, except for special projects. I don't know exactly how much there is.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The code of conduct is a huge part of campus life! The students "live the code".

Very positive! The teachers are excellent and knowledgable. The students can try any activities without trying out.

JMPS provides an excellent education as well as opportunities to explore many interests including theater/drama, music, sports, and many clubs. JMPS expects participation in student government and mentoring of younger students. My child is ready for college in every way.

James Madison is a place where our child is part of the family. The faculty and staff really know him personally. The extracurricular opportunities are much more than what you would expect from such a small school. Our son has been a member of 3 different sports teams and has been able to make a positive contribution to these high school varsity teams even though he is actually in junior high. Please give James Madison your top consideration when making the important decision on where to place your child.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school builds and supports strong character in students. It's not just a "word of the week" approach to character education, it's every day.

My son received an AMAZING education at James Madison Preparatory School. Although an average student, his opportunities after graduation have been staggering. He had great experiences inside and outside the classroom, and he credits his current success in college with the preparation for college he did at Madison.

Catholic parochial school was my education base. My parents spent a lot of money to be detached from my education. They felt they were doing the best thing for their children’s education. In college I found the great students had parents who cared and checked up on their grades. The small town farm kids, who unsurprisingly had responsible parents, also had a strong link with their high school friends and teachers. My goal for my own children was to know their Mom cared about their education. I also wanted them to have that strong sense of community with their friends and instructors. After home schooling my five children for 12+ years there was a need to enroll my 3 youngest in public school. My choice was James Madison Preparatory School, Tempe, AZ. First because of their well-established values, but many of the other reasons: • Excellent academics • High accountability • Theater /Drama program that is stunning. • Multiple and Inclusive athletics program- no one gets cut. • Chores schedule for all students. • Small class size. (10-20) • Independent study opportunities. To list all the opportunities JMPS gives to a student would be overwhelming. The small school atmosphere promotes a real closeness for the students, something that is difficult in the Phoenix metro area. JMPS is a real jewel of charter schools. Here is the strongest aspect of JMPS:The teachers care about my sons. Today I can walk into any of my student’s classes and talk to a teacher and they know my son, without looking him up in a record book. They know how he is progressing in class and how he is developing socially. Madison Prep continues to exceed my expectations for providing the best thing for my children’s education.

Last modified James Madison Preparatory School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.