No rating

Bethany Christian School

Private | K-8 | 180 students

Small classes, skill-based grouping, and Christian discipleship

Living in Tempe

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted March 31, 2014

Thank you to everybody at BCS for the great welcome that you have give us being new this year! You are truly a big blessing for my family! Not only my children are getting great academically but spirituality they are growing in the love of God. This is priceless!! For all the parents that are looking for a great school for your children, this is the one, you'll feel it the moment you enter the school. Also remember it doesn't need to be expensive, Arizona has a law call AZ School choice that will give part/full scholarships for your children to attend this school using Arizona Tax Credit.

Posted February 13, 2013

We love Bethany Christian School! We have 2 kids, one in elementary and the other in middle school. This is our first year attending, as we moved here this last summer. The teachers and staff have really made all of us feel welcome and as a part of the family this year, and that has meant so much to us! My kids were in great schools previously, one was in public and one was in private Christian, but WOW, do I ever wish my kids had been attending here since day one! I know that when I send my children to school each day that they are receiving an excellent, well above average, top-notch, Christ-centered education that is second to none! I have the honor of volunteering at the school regularly and Christ is evident everywhere I go! The only thing I wish it offered...High School!!! I highly recommend BCS for your child/children...you won't be disappointed!!

Posted June 3, 2012

At Bethany Christian School, challenging and engaging academic learning is seen in Kindergarten through 8th grade. Discipleship training is modeled in the teachers lives. I like that students are discipled daily through bible lessons and weekly chapels. I ve never experienced a more caring and involved school environment. Administration, students, teachers, staff and parents rally around one another in prayer and support. The community environment is even evident in the fun events they host every year: County Fair and Turtle Race. Everyone is involved!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 13, 2012

Bethany Christian School has been a blessing on my son and our family. My son has special learning needs and they have gone above and beyond to accomodate us. They love of Christ shines through this school. They truly care about their students and families. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 21, 2012

We have two students at Bethany Christian and we look forward to them both graduating from 8th grade. Our family has been blessed by being a part of this school community. Wouldn't want to be any where else. Just wish they had a high school program.

Posted May 24, 2011

We couldn't have been more blessed to find this school after moving to AZ. The teachers and administrators go above and beyond. They truly care about each individual student and get to know them personally. My daughter has flourished since attending here. We love the small school environment and the sense of community that is a part of life. My daughter is not only receiving an excellent education but she is being taught the values and principles needed to be a good person in life. I believe that this strong foundation will help her to make wise decisions in

Posted May 20, 2011

Excellent academics. Great teachers that really seem to care about the students. It's great to have a teacher who can help to guide your child through rough times by directing them to God and the scriptures. It is highly recommended.

Posted January 29, 2011

We had two children go through Bethany Christian School from 1st -8th grade. We have seen the school transform from the years when it was still part of the Bethany Community Church and located on the church campus. I believe this school is still a work in progress, but the administration and school board are on the right path. Like all schools it is not perfect, but I have seen some very positive changes made in the past few years that are making it better. They try very hard to provide broad academic curriculum and extra curricular activities. The sports program is up and coming and they offer insturmental and vocal music and have an excellent fine arts(drama)program. They have a modern computer lab and brand new sports court. If you are looking for a wonderful Christian elementary & middle school for your kids. BCS is the place to look. You will love the teachers, administration and family atmosphere.

Posted April 8, 2010

We attended Bethany Learning Center, which is right by Bethany Christian school, and were thrilled with the education our children received. We thought when we transferred it would be the same, but it was not. The teachers seem to teach a whole different way, that was not good for my kids. The teachers were not as loving. We transferred to Surrey Garden and have been so much happier.

Posted January 11, 2010

BCS is great! We have had our kids in Christian school since the were in Pre-K. We attended a smaller christian school in Chandler for 6 years until, we needed a middle school for our oldest. We found BCS and we have been so blessed. The middle school teachers are so committed to what they do. Science class is 'messy' and amazing! The Computer Program will impress you and prepare your kids for the future. The Bible curriculum will teach your kids to Know their Faith, Defend their Faith, and Share their Faith. They offer a variety of Sports for both Elementary and Middle School and the school really nurtures the programs. We love it there and would recommend it as a must see if you are looking into Christian Education.

Posted December 31, 2009

Unfortunately there is no perfect world, perfect school, perfect teacher. However, BCS is awesome in many ways. 1.Parents are involved in the school & in their children's lives. Can every single parent (like myself) easily participate as the full-time stay-at-home parent? No, neither can the many working parents. But this is a life issue unfortunately, not BCS's. While I don't expect to fit into married couple families lives I have never seen, heard, or felt indication of anyone looking down on single parents. I wish I could befriend the 'scarlet letter' mom. 2.In the reverse, I have found some of the families seek to include single parents, working parents, sick parents, etc with car pool rides, bringing homework by, even meals to families going through surgeries. 3.Academically & homework wise, -no matter what is tried by administration/teachers, not everyone will be pleased or needs met but BCSadmin listens/prays/works hard!!!

Posted August 1, 2009

Our family has been consistantly impressed with the outstanding leadership and dedication to the families at BCS. My children have flourished here with the smaller classroom sizes, and sense of community that we have never experienced at a public school. The teachers are loving and accessible. The school has a wonderful 'old fashion' small town community feeling that is such a breath of fresh air. Our experience has been outstanding and I only wish they were a K-12 school. This school is truly special and a huge blessing to our family and friends that attend. I would highly highly recommend it!

Posted July 17, 2009

This school is terrible. There are only three good teachers. The teachers pride themselves in sending home up to 2-3 hours of homework for third and fourth grade. That way the teachers can cover state standard requirements in their grade level curriculum without having to teach. This is also how the school can accomplish certain test scores for SAT 10 test taking. Teaches spend 5 1/2 hours a day with your student, sitting at their desk learning rotely. Next, teachers assign 2-3 hours of homework per night. (This is including their extra projects). Essentially students are devoting up to 9 hours a day in school work, but almost 50% is covered by parents teaching at home.

Posted July 1, 2009

We came to BCS in 2005 and I can't begin to state how pleased we are with the school. Our child was part of the public school system when we began to realize the school was putting her safety at risk. We looked at many options including other public schools and found that BCS was definitely the right choice. This was for many reasons including the biblical environment as well as the wonderful staff who are above and beyond anything we could ever ask for. We have met many wonderful families and our child has come out of her shell so much. THIS SCHOOL IS INCREDIBLE!!!

Posted April 30, 2009

This school is outstanding. It's a challenging curriculum balanced with biblical truths. The community feel is second to none. We are so blessed to have our childen attend this school. Rebekah

Posted November 19, 2008

Where do I begin? This school is a true blessing on so many levels. The principal, and vice principal, are amazing. The teachers, filled with the spirit....it is apparent in all that they do. The entire staff..music teacher, coach, school nurse and so on...full of joy. This school is what every child needs to succeed academically and more importantly spiritually.

Posted November 12, 2008

Bethany Christian School has not been very supportive when it comes to being a single parent. Now, I realize that what I m about to say is subjective; I m simply basing this comment on my personal experience and opinion. I feel that the school focuses on your family status (i.e. married, separated, divorced, etc.) too much. If you're not married, you seem to walk around with a scarlet letter on your chest. Sometimes I want to scream out Just because I m unmarried doesn t mean I m any less of a Christian! Another thing I ve felt uncomfortable about is I don t always have the same amount of time to volunteer as some of the other parents. I feel like if you re not coaching a team, pounding the pavement trying to sell stuff to raise money or organizing bake sales, you re not in the parent clique and are shunned. It's very sad.

Posted September 8, 2008

We are thrilled with the education our son is getting at Bethany Christian. The quality begins with the principal, Mrs. Simpkins, who is personally envolved in the day to day life of the students, teachers and parents. We also love that they have programs for all academic levels. Therefore, your child is challenged to his or her abilities. I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 12, 2008

Great family atmosphere! I love the core values that are re-inforeced on a daily basis and the academics are outstanding! The teachers are here because they feel this is where they belong and they are commited to ensuring each and every student succeeds.

Posted March 27, 2007

Excellent staff! I could not be more impressed with my child's education.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Yearbook (4 years in a row) (2013)
  • Spelling Bee (3 first place winners) (2013)
  • Math Olympics (3 medals earned) (2013)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kary Sterkowitz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Science
  • Special education
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Field Day
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor