Center for Educational Excellence

Charter | K-8

Living in Tempe

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $255,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted March 1, 2010

My son is in Kindergarden and he loves this school. His teacher is exceptional and very loving. My son has come a long way since school started and we feel his teacher deserves much of the credit for coming up with creative ways to help him learn. She communicates with us so we can work as a team in my sons interest.

Posted February 17, 2010

CEE is a very good school. I have 2 kids there. The principal and the teachers are wondeful and they are very dedicated. I moved one of my child from a private school. This school is far better in the educational aspects than the private school.

Posted November 18, 2009

My daughter went to this school for two years before going on to Tempe Prep. I feel she was well prepared for a college prep school. Kids are tested each year for math and placed at whatever level they test at. Kids with all A's get to go to Chuck E. Cheese with the principal for the afternoon, the kids love it. Highly rated on this site and excelling by the state measurements. Great school!!!! Donna

Posted September 5, 2009

My son left CEE without any of the skills necessary to compete in high school. He got great grades at CEE, but my best guess is that they 'taught to the test.' I had my differences with school administration which was bad enough, but what was worse was that my son also felt contemptuous of school administration. My best advice to any CEE parent is to really challenge your children with the material at home. Get very involved rather than trust it is being done right at CEE. Discuss the subjects so you know they understand the subject. It's one thing to know the answer, it's another to know why it's the answer.

Posted August 28, 2009

My daughter attended CEE for kindergarten and adored it! the only problem in the future was that we moved to a new town, she was intensely frustrated by the rigorous schedule, lack of free expression and what she felt was a distinct lack of interest in the student's educational concerns. We were surprised by CEE's ability to educate her as well as allow her to express herself and she was encouraged and assisted in her educational pursuits beyond the basic curriculum. When she left kindergarten, she was reading, writing and multiplying because of the concern and guidance of the staff at CEE. It is not my style of teaching, but nonetheless, it i extremely effective.

Posted August 24, 2009

We am so thrilled to have taken my child out of CEE. The teachers were nice, but that's about it. We could not see our child getting all the necessay tools to start high school effectively from their experience at CEE. A good friend of ours left the Director's Office crying because of the frustration she experienced. Maybe that's not the director's fault, maybe it is. Our child has zero respect for their system because of the perception it is misrun. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but their attitude towards school was suffering because of the perception. That's important. We always felt it was chaotic and unfocused, again, that's an opinion; one that coupled with our child's opinion caused us to go elsewhere and become much happier and watch respect for school and education instantly blossom in our child. God bless school choice. We found a better place for our child.

Posted August 17, 2009

I am shocked by the recent comments. We at CEE always strive to make our school the best. Every year we get stronger and stronger. We have some great new programs this year that will build student's leadership, social, and self-esteem skills. If there is a problem we work together as a team with teacher, principal, and parent. We have had parenting experts hold workshops at our school to talk with parents and staff about current parenting and social issues. Our focus is always the CHILD! We do have a wonderful community and it is not just the signs on the wall or our exceeding test scores.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 16, 2009

As a parent of a student attending CEE currently, I would like to respond to the former student that posted a review on August 8. This student has very eloquently decribed some dislikes, but has obviously recieved a very good education. I agree that sports and academics are an important part of a well rounded education, and cee provides the opportunity to participate in a wide variety activities, including activities such as fencing. I find the director to be truly interested in the wellfare of every student, and discipline appropriate to the infraction.

Posted August 8, 2009

I was a student at CEE. I felt the school was spinning out of control and not providing me a good education.. It appeared there was no communication between teachers and administration. I had many strange incidents that I felt were handled very poorly leaving me and my friends at risk. Teachers seemed to have widely varying methods and expectations. As you can read through student comments, you may understand. I am extremely happy to have left the oddly named hallways (Eagle St...) and have found a school with a sports program, a tuned in Director that won't tolerate inappropriate behavior and actually has a focus on my future and college. I really hated having no windows in the class rooms and a strip of grass behind the strip mall for a playground. There were times I was yelled at for not eating my lunch or talking with friends at lunch.

Posted August 4, 2009

CEE is the best school ever they even have an after school daycare if parents cant make it on time at 3:30 and on wednesdays they is an early 1:00 release in summerbreak ,fallberake there is feidltrips everyday and there is a one and there year old room includeing pre-k.Not only is the care great so are the teachers!they really care abuut each student and does every thing to make sure every singel kid under stands it.I've been going to cee for 6 years and about to make a 7th CEE is a geart school and i hope everyone nows it!

Posted July 28, 2009

I liked my classmates and teachers, but am happy to have left. School administration would never let me explain what I felt needed change. I was always interrupted and told I was wrong. I was being yelled at for things I wasn't even there for! How can I be wrong? I am glad my parents listened to me and found a new school that seems to have rules and good communication. I felt CEE had lost a lot of what it had. I'll miss my fiends that haven't already left.

Posted July 27, 2009

My daughter has attended CEE for three and she loves it! The teachers truely care about each student and strive to meet their individual needs. We love all of the extracurricular activities and field trips that she gets to do with her class. I love the closeness of the staff and students.

Posted July 20, 2009

I give this school a two because the teachers try really hard. I am disappointed in the direction of the school and the adminstrator not taking my or my families concerns seriously.

Posted February 18, 2009

I LOVE CEE! It's a great school that has great teachers and students. We learn in fun ways and they teach us the way that we learn so if we have trouble learning, they can find the right way to help us. The principal, Mrs. Cochran is loving and she cares for us and want us to do our best at everything we do. There are great after school projects and curriculum that the school provides. I have gone to CEE for 8 years now and have loved going to CEE. I even look forward to going to school. CEE has a great discipline; kids don't get bullied without getting in lots of trouble and they wouldn't let anything bad happen to the students there. I LOVE CEE!

Posted January 29, 2009

Much like previous poster, we left CEE due to the lack of a discipline policy and poorly handled conflicts. At our new school the principal greets the students at the front door every day, can often be seen in the classroom, and it is full of philanthropy. Additionally, there is no teasing that is written off as 'boys being boys', there is a clearly appointed discipline policy and excellent follow through. My child feels safe and is flourishing in this new environment. There are other places for that kind of attention in your community, and they are far more responsive to parent concerns than CEE is. I will not rate CEE poorly because it has some excellent teachers with incredible dedication to their kids, but they suffer for the decisions made above their heads.

Posted January 23, 2009

We've been @ CEE for a couple of years and most of the teachers have been great and are willing to stay during lunch or after school. However, there is almost no communication with the 'specials'. Even the PE teacher makes an effort to put notes in the Friday Flash but the others I never see telling me what or how my child is doing. We are in Arizona and I feel Spanish is very important but my children don't seem to know much more than me and I haven't taken Spanish. I also have issue with the children having to pay for a dress down day. I have to dress in business dress for my job but even I get casual Fridays (every Friday) and I don't have to pay. This should be a reward not just another that can be bought.

Posted January 23, 2009

I have tried to post at least 2 reviews of CEE that are not as glowing as those below, and they have never been added to the site. I find this very interesting. CEE was a good school in the early years for us, but the lack of leadership and semi dysfunctional relationship that the principal forms with parents has really done a number on it. There is no discipline policy to speak of and many kids leave as they are victims of poorly handled situations that leave parents wondering about safety. Most of the teachers are wonderful, but those who aren't are allowed to continue without mentoring or mediation. Such potential lost there. It is truly a shame.

Posted January 22, 2009

i love this schoool! i went there since kindergarten and loved it! the teachers were so nice and helped us learn

Posted October 7, 2008

Cee is a wonderful school. The teachers are extremely dedicated. The staff is helpful and caring. The children are respectful and enjoyable. The clubs are excellent and there are many to choose from. I currently have 2 children enrolled in 1st and 2nd grade and they love going to school everyday. Because of personal conflicts we tried our neighborhood school this year and only lasted 3 weeks (It is considered an excelling school also) The kids seemed disconnected from adults and they overwhelmingly didn't want to learn. I feel that Cee makes learning enjoyable and the children look at it as a lifelong journey. Thank you Cee for producing a safe. loving, and wonderful learning environment.

Posted July 9, 2008

My family has been involved at CEE for over 8 years now. We have found all the teachers, assistant teachers, substitutes and administration to be highly trained, professional, loving, caring, dedicated individuals that work hard to meet the needs of all the students. Mrs. Cochran is the most dedicated principal who has always addressed any of our concerns regarding the academic or social issues that our children might have encountered. The curriculum is challenging and the school atmosphere is positive and fun. CEE continues to be an excelling school. My children love CEE and so do we!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 54%N/A49%
Male 46%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1700 E. Elliot #9