Tempe, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,054

Posted September 03, 2014
Everything that I would say about this school is positive. My son is 8th grader there and he likes Connolly better than any other school he attended in the past. As a parent, I am attending monthly Booster club meetings and people there are super nice. So, my rating for this school is excellent and five star.

Connolly Middle School 4

Posted April 05, 2014
I really enjoy the ASPIRE program at Connolly Middle School. The gifted learning is top notch there! The dress code is a little much though.

Posted March 29, 2014
I am a seventh grader at Connolly and I really like this school. The teachers give homework but there are always fun things to do in class. This year, we went on a field trip to the Arizona desert, looked at Jupiter through a telescope. We had a Stargazing Event. It was so much fun. There are super electives too. I love FACS. We get to cook and sew. There's music, PE, computers, Spanish and more. I have so many friends at Connolly and we do fun trivia during lunches and the social dances are a blast.

Posted December 26, 2013
Connolly provides so many opportunities to all students on campus. The ASPIRE program is one program at Connolly. The music department, electives, and academic departments provides a rich, full experience for all students. Connolly's AVID program is nationally recognized and it brought the college-bound focus to their campus. Connolly is a national demonstration school for the AVID program. I find it difficult to read that a parent considers classes on the main campus for slower students. There are many, many gifted students on the main campus that do not choose to attend ASPIRE. I wonder if this parent is involved in BOOSTERS or PTA at Connolly? I wonder if this parent volunteers for field trips? I wonder if this parent gives kind words to teachers and staff in support of working with teenagers?

Connolly Middle School 2

Posted November 01, 2013
I feel bad for a few of my daughters friends in the slower classes. You can see it hurts their self esteems and they call them selves dumb. My daughter is in honors classes not aspired but feels that her school doesn't recognize all the hard work done by the schools majority. Aspired kids receive special treatment. She wants to test for program, she will prob. Get in (teacher recommended she test) but I still think it's terrible for a school to make it students feel like you don't count unless you're in this program and only these kids are college bound. Other than that I find the school to be average nothing that sets it apart or makes me feel it is awesome or terrible in my experiences. Just a school near my house. Wish I could say I loved it. Loved her elementary school and teachers. I Grew up in tempe so familiar with how they run their programs. Would really like to see this school make all kids feel like they matter and are happy to see them. My guess the slower kids will be more likely to drop out and hate school later because they've been made to feel unimportant

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is a hidden gem. My daughter is a student in the Aspire program and she is just thriving. She loves ALL of her teachers and comes home from school saying that she has never laughed so much. The academics are outstanding with amazing teachers. She is also in the orchestra program which is equally impressive. Personally, I think that the only reason why this school is rated 6/10 and not 10/10 is because it draws from a lower socioeconomic area and 70% of its students are on free or reduced lunch. If this school were located in a wealthier area it would be held up as one of our nation's best schools. I like that my daughter is being exposed to students from all cultural and economic backgrounds- it's representative of real life. I don't have anything negative to say about Connolly. We are super impressed and very happy with this school. The Aspire program is amazing as it Connolly's music program.

Posted July 11, 2013
I am a current student at CMS, and it is great. The teachers care and focus on each student as if it there were their own child! I started there in the middle of 6th grade, and it took about a week until I found very good friends who I can be myself around. Sure my friends and I aren't the most popular people, but everyday is amazing. The science classes are very hands-on and you hardly notice you're learning, and the same with the Social Studies classes. Math and Language Arts are very teamwork-based, but you must be well organized, as it is easy to let your grades slip. There are some things that are a nuisance. The school is fairly large, so you must memorize the map and make it to class in 2 minutes or less. There is also a uniform policy that is a little strict. You have to have your shirt tucked in at all times and wear a Navy Blue, Yellow, White, or Purple polo with Blue/Black jeans, Navy blue, or Khaki shorts/ pants/ skirt/ skort. For more info, go to the Connolly website. To clear up any confusion, there are no gangs or anything like that at CMS. I hope this helps in your decision for choosing Connolly Middle School for your child. Go Connolly Crusaders!

Connolly Middle School 1

Posted April 20, 2013
I was a student at Connolly from 1978-1980. In these reviews I hear echos of the same problems that plagued the school then: 1) Inability to provide a safe learning environment while ironically imposing fairly pointless rules. At the time I went, the school was infested with a gang called "LVL" -- not something kids this age should have to worry about. 2) Inability to retain good teachers. My drive to learn science and music were not met by this school, but fortunately I found other avenues. 3) Obsession with sports, creating a hero culture and caste system around physical prowess. Now that I am a parent, I will not allow a place like this to touch my children. I do sympathize with teachers who have to deal with the demographic issues here (as one teacher here wrote in code: the "challenging student population"). As a child, my parents couldn't or wouldn't take my complaints about this school seriously. As a parent, I now realize I should listen to my children and take action when it's best for their development.

Posted September 13, 2012
This is my daughters 1st yr in Connolly (6th grade) and in a Tempe School district...I was a little worried because I went to Chandler schools so i wanted my kids to do the same since i knew some of the teachers schools, etc but we moved so they were not to excited about going to a new school but my daugh loves it, she likes the teachers, students, everything. I ask her to do you want to back to Chandler and hes SAYS NO I like it here NOW!!

Connolly Middle School 2

Posted April 08, 2012
I'm a student at this school, and I have to admit, it has definitely been a mixed bag. The teachers are mostly decent. Some are good, and some aren't so great. The teaching methods and curriculum are constantly advertised as being revolutionary and fantastic, but in reality, they are just average, and in some cases, slightly below average. The student population is pretty diverse, but if you're different in any way, expect plenty of bullying, especially in your 7th grade year. The only way you'll avoid bullying is by being popular, and you have to be a certain way in order to be accepted as popular. If you're not attractive and/or athletic, you should be prepared to have a miserable time at many parts of your time at Connolly. There is definitely a caste system here. In addition, some of the rules are RIDICULOUS! You have to sit in a certain order at lunch due to a "fire safety code", you can't wear a sweater around your waist, and you have to conform to a strict dress code that makes you look like a dork if you don't wear the right sweater or hoodie to cover the dorky polo shirt off. In all honesty, I wouldn't reccomend this school. But it's not terrible....

Connolly Middle School
2002 East Concorda Drive, Tempe, AZ  85282
Last modified Connolly Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Connolly Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top