Tempe, AZ
Students enrolled: 2,449

Posted August 08, 2015
Corona del Sol has fantastic academic programs and excellent music programs! Principal Brent Brown provides thoughtful leadership and is very supportive of academic and arts programs. The school offers students the opportunity to be well prepared for university work. My older son was a National Merit Scholar and received multiple academic scholarship offers. My younger son is involved in Marching Band, Steel Drum band, and arts programs. Ms. Reed and Mr. Wanta are excellent math teachers and their students do very well on AP exams. Ms. Blechacz, Mr. Doyle, and Mr. Morgan are outstanding teachers and their students get excellent AP test scores. Ms. Johnson and Ms. Gile are fantastic English teachers. Mr. Duplessis and Mr. Werner lead the Marching band, which is 190 students strong in 2015-2016. They are exceptionally talented leaders who know how to motivate and inspire teenagers. Mr. Werner also leads the Corona del Sol Steel Drum Band--the largest in Arizona. Corona del Sol is large enough to provide a wide variety of opportunities to students. However, the individual programs are excellent and provide a small community feel. I highly recommend, without any reservations, Corona del Sol high school!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 08, 2015
My sons have had excellent and extremely effective teachers at Corona del Sol, especially in math and science.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 08, 2015
Academics, especially AP and Honors Courses, are challenging, but students are given the tools and support they need to succeed.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 08, 2015
My experience at Corona del Sol is that the students are extremely respectful to adults, teachers and other students. The Administration and Teachers respect the students as well. Many of the teachers at Corona del Sol are also graduates of Corona del Sol. There is a true spirit of family and tradition.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 08, 2015
Mr. Duplessis develops leadership and encourages a family atmosphere within the Marching Band. Students learn how to support, motivate, and inspire one another. When families encounter challenging circumstances the school community has shown tremendous support.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 08, 2015
Mr. Duplessis has 190 students in Marching Band who always show up on time, listen to adults, are honest, and treat each other with respect and caring. These students will be very successful in the world of work! Corona del Sol Students are recognized for honesty and integrity with the Code of Honor Incentive Program (CHIP). Each month a student is recognized and earns a $300 scholarship.

Corona Del Sol High School 3

Posted May 14, 2015
The school resources and facilities are good, and there are some good teachers. However, there are also many teachers who seem disinclined to teach at the slightest excuse, and some who simply use the classroom as a political indoctrination camp for the unfortunate students. I will refrain from posting detailed examples since none of it was ever captured in any syllabus or take-home material; suffice it to say I spent many, many hours over multiple years re-teaching my child what should have been taught in several classes, and un-teaching the radical environmentalism, radical feminism, loose morals, hatred of Christianity, and anti-Americanism taught as "facts" in those classes.

Posted January 26, 2015
I am a current Senior at CDS and I love my school. Corona Del Sol is one of the best schools there is. If you are considering any other schools choose Corona. You won't regret it. The teachers are cool and there are many clubs and activities students can get involved in. Yes this is another typical high school that has cliques, but each class gets along with each other. Our school has the best student sections and were one big family. The Tribe is what we call ourselves and the name says it all. We are proud and LOVE to show our school spirit so that everyone knows. There are many wonderful things about Corona Del Sol and I'm glad I've met all the people i have. Corona has given me the best high school experience ever. GO AZTECS!

Posted November 10, 2014
Awesome school! My son is a Freshman at Corona Del Sol. We were lucky to go him in through open enrollment because our assigned Dobson High School is just awful, filled with gangs and troublemakers. So far, my son's year at Corona has been peaceful and enriching. The kids at the school really treat each other well and have a strong sense of school pride. The academics at the school are excellent. The music program is amazing-my son is taking the one of a kind steel drum class that they offer. There are many opportunities for clubs and sports. Most importantly, my son feels very safe. Sending him to Corona Del Sol is one of the best decisions I have made as a parent.

Posted November 03, 2014
My son is a Freshman at Corona Del Sol and I couldn't be happier with his progress. He enjoys high school. The music program is outstanding. The teachers and faculty are excellent and keep you apprised of your child's progress. My son is actually learning and told me himself he likes that they treat him as an individual and not like he is being baby sat. He finds the curriculum challenging. There are a variety of after school clubs that corona offers which is great. I couldn't be happier with the quality and standards Corona Del Sol has to offer.

1001 E. Knox Road, Tempe, AZ  85284
Last modified Corona Del Sol High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Corona Del Sol High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top