6-12 & Ungraded
Public charter
Tempe, AZ

Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School 4

Posted January 09, 2015
My son has attended this school for three years, not once has my son been bullied, pushed to the side or ignored. In public school he fell thru the cracks and always was getting sick. At Grand Canyon, He has accelerated in his studies and achieved first place in science The principal mr. Gordon, May not be in the greatest shape, but really does care about the students and this school. we pay about 1200.00 a year but, it 's being put towards school students. the building is older and was a preschool at one time, could it be cleaner yes, but it looks like any other school just on a smaller scale. Smaller classes with teachers that really do care. If your student misses a assignment, or any part of class work you will receive a phone call. Their book keeping is messy, so keep your own records and copies of everything. But they always make errors correct and we have never seen any one that works here yell or swear at anyone. Next year my son will be taking a school trip to japan. If you research a little more on the teachers here you would of known they all have credentials way above your average teacher requirements.

Posted September 13, 2014
GCP is a very good small school that helps students that get lost in a traditional public or larger charter school setting. Their students are well prepared for college as evidenced by the 1000 hours GCP kids have earned through the school Early College program while others are doing well in the schools new partnership with EVIT. I strongly encourage families to schedule an appointment to visit the school.

Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School 1

Posted September 06, 2014
The administration is very unorganized. As a parent of a former student I've seen great teachers come and leave shortly thereafter. The school is NOT free, we had to pay "fees" but not sure where that money went because the maintenance of the building is terrible. It's filthy with cockroaches and is painted to look like a preschool which I think it was at one time. The teachers seemed overwhelmed and the principal has a short temper and according to my child has screamed and cursed at students before. AVOID.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 17, 2014
My son has gone to GCP since 6th grade. The teachers and principal are attentive and caring. Any concerns (which are few) are immediately addressed. I know my son is learning in a safe environment with a student/teacher ratio averaging 15:1. I would highly recommend this school!

Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School 4

Posted June 10, 2014
The last four years have been a perfect fit for my daughter, she flourished in the small teacher to child ratios and had teachers who really cared about her success. The availability of technology for the children improves yearly as well as the physical grounds. This is a very academic school driven to prepare our children for college and beyond.

Posted June 07, 2014
This is a wonderful school...student to teacher ratio is 12-15 to one. The teachers really care and are dedicated to each student as an individual. The principal is always available and promptly addresses any concerns (which are very few). I am so thankful that we found this school!

Posted June 07, 2014
It wears me out that people are allowed to say whatever they like and do it anonymously. This is a great little school with teachers who work hard. With student participation and parent support great things are accomplished. The reviewer is correct in that success requires all three. I suggest that one always look at himself first and as a teacher I know I am doing my job. Is this student and/or his parent(s) doing theirs?

Posted June 07, 2014
I have 2 children in this school presently. 3 years ago my youngest daughter was entering 6th grade with a 2nd grade reading level, it was not for lack of trying. She gives 100% most of the time, but the way public schools are forced to function didn't work for her. She felt overwhelmed and stupid and was ready to give up. 3 years ago she was not meeting in several areas of AIMS. The teachers at GCP, the majority of which are patient and firm, saw her potential and worked with her, and she bloomed. She is now meeting on AIMS in every area, and nearly exceeding in a few. GCP teachers truly care about the students and take time with them. Both of my girls have had teachers they gravitated at various time for various reasons that were tremendous helps to them and both have come to feel like GCP is home. Next year both girls will be taking college courses while still in high school. No school is perfect, no one is perfect but with the regulations on schools and the need to meet test score criteria the teachers at this school strike a balance between trying to meet the criteria and genuinely caring for the students on an individual level and take the time to care for the whole student.

Posted June 07, 2014
I have seen some of the comments from other parents and it disturbs me because I believe it does not give a fair insight to the school and the teachers. From my perspective, if your child is doing great in the public school system and the way it is set up works for them, that's fantastic - but for many kids it doesn't work. I was a SAHM for many years, things changed and our family went from being comfortable to struggling, even with me working full time. It took a toll on our kids and on our home, no matter how hard I tried to maintain all I was able to do as a SAHM, I simply couldn't. GCP is not perfect, no school is, but the majority of the teachers genuinely care about the students on a one on one basis. They see the potential the kids have and work with them. Several of the teachers stood in that gap that we were not able to fulfill at that time. I agree with the teacher, it has to be a partnership between the parents/teachers/students. Everyone has a bad day, everyone goes through times when they need help. GCP provides their end of the bargain and steps up to help, but we as parents have to do the same and work together to help our kids.

Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School 1

Posted June 06, 2014
This school is a joke. The leadership is terrible!!!!!! The principal is rude, condescending and shows no concern towards parents or students. The school employs teachers that are too busy to listen to parent or student issues and do little teaching. They claim to spend no money on aesthetics and all on students, yet there is little truth to that. This is a very disappointing school and I wonder how those who graduate from here succeed in college.

Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School
5301 South McClintock Drive, Tempe, AZ  85283
Last modified Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand Canyon College Preparatory Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top