Tempe, AZ

Posted May 27, 2015
I have worked at this school for a couple years. The teachers were able to handle anything with flying colors. The students at this school really depend on the teachers, and the teachers know that. They patiently guide the students to have a love of learning. The atmosphere got rough when the administration at this school changed in January. It no longer had the loving atmosphere that the previous principal had instilled. Every second was now micromanaged and had to be academic. Even Valentine's Day celebrations were now banned. Multiple walkthroughs every day and frequent observations for the purpose of finding out what you are doing wrong was now the norm. What was observed in every classroom was emailed out for the whole team to see what each other was doing at the exact same time. Discrepancies were questioned. Weekly lesson plans that averaged 12-18 pages were to be submitted online every week and would be critiqued and expected to be fixed. You had to assess your students multiple times a week and present your scores at the weekly PLC meeting. If your students didn't score well, you had to put your name on the board and explain how you will improve the scores. Micromanaging overflowed onto Saturday planning days. You were scheduled academic coaches who rotated in to "babysit" your lesson planning with your team. You weren't allowed to work on stations, make any copies, or use the workroom on these Saturdays. You were not given time alone with your team to plan on these Saturdays. Students were no longer "encouraged" to make good choices by the principal, they were now bullied. He would come into the classroom and look for students who were off task. He would come from behind them and physically move their head to make them pay attention. He would stand over a student in the hallway who wasn't following directions rather than get on their level to talk to them. On the last day of school when he handed out checks, he made sure to add a personal attack to each teacher. I know that a couple teachers have expressed their concern to district. I hope district does something. Having over 30 teachers leave is not a coincidence. The sad thing is that these students really need special teachers...and almost all of them were driven away.

Posted August 13, 2014
The worst school ever! My son was bullied and I received 0 communication from his teacher. When I approached the admin team, they dismissed my concerns until I asked to follow up with the district. Right after I informed the principal, her tone changed quickly.

Posted March 01, 2014
My 2 daughters love this school as do I !! They have great staff!!! I love the principal and assistant principal! My daughters have been there since kindergarten and they are now in 3rd grade!! They are the best!! Holdeman Huskies! !

Posted November 15, 2013
I have a 5 year old daughter that attends Holdeman. Since the beginning of this school year, the staff has lost, misplaced, or otherwise left my daughter abandoned. The first time was about 1 month ago when the school staff lost her for about 25 minutes. The school's Vice Principal responded, "she wasn't lost, we knew she somewhere at school." And then, he smuggly apologized. And twice her teacher has put her the wrong bus which in turn left her standing outside alone in the dark, no food, no water, holding her pee. The school's prinicipal simply said "sorry." How would you feel if were your 5 year old?

Holdeman Elementary School 2

Posted November 12, 2013
I went to this school. They have problems with bullying and the teachers make it look like it's your fault they bully you. I agree it's close to low income housing and there's lots of kids coming and going.

Holdeman Elementary School 4

Posted August 01, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this school, I love the teacher s attitude toward the students and they are really nice but they could dress a little better. I have noticed a lot of them in flip flops and inappropriate wear for a teacher. Love the uniforms for the students, I wish the teachers had them too. Wish they would bring back the field trips; my son loves them and was able to go to two before they stopped having them. He gets disappointed each year when there is none.

Posted August 02, 2010
This Is A Really Amazing School!!!! everyone in there is really friendly and know how to teach the kids really good.

Posted April 01, 2010
Holdeman Elementary is the BEST elementary school!! VERY PROFESSIONAL!!! EXCELLENT STAFF! & HARD WORKING MOTIVATING TEACHERS!!! A++

Holdeman Elementary School 3

Posted December 27, 2008
My daughter has attended Holdeman for 3 years now. Her biggest struggle was first grade because of bullying. It took almost the entire year to take care of the problem and still wasn't totally to my satisfaction. This year started out rough but has gotten much better. Love the staff and always feel welcome. Just wish there were more breaks in the afternoon for teachers as well as students. Would like to have field trips returned as well. The new building is beautiful. Just some concerns with safety. Would love more parent involvment. There should be no excuse that we are too busy, these are our childern!! Change takes time for those of you unhappy.

Holdeman Elementary School 4

Posted November 08, 2008
It would be interesting to see what Holdeman parents think of this school now that there is a new Principal at the helm.

Holdeman Elementary School
1326 West 18th St, Tempe, AZ  85281
Last modified Holdeman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holdeman Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top