Kyrene de la Mariposa School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 612 students

Posted September 25, 2014

Mariposa is a wonderful neighborhood school. The staff is dedicated and top notch. We have been at the school for 7 years now and have nothing but great things to say. My family would highly recommend this school to others.

Posted November 30, 2013

I regret sending my child to this school. The teacher terrorized by 6 year old and made him come home sad everyday. His first grade teacher had no idea how to motivate children to complete the classroom work. She choose to use name calling, ridiculing children and a silly color system to punish non-compliant children. It makes sad that my child had to endure such treatment. I took him out mid school year.

Posted November 4, 2013

This school has severely set my daughter back the current principal is completely incompetent . The teachers lack communication skills and refuse to work with parents towards the betterment of the child. Because of this school my daughter is severely deficient in math, vocabulary, and reading and will have to retake fifth grade. They take zero accountability and refuse to act on anything.

Posted October 15, 2013

This school has been such a disappointment. It's not the administration that's to blame it's the culture of bullying that goes on with some parents and teachers. There is no accountability for teachers who are dishonest and abusive. If you speak up your child will suffer and be singled out and picked on by the teacher. Many of the parents are just as bad with their obnoxious cliques and self promoting behavior. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews on here. Anytime someone speaks up they are attacked like the earlier reviewer.

Posted August 24, 2013

I love Mariposa! The teachers are excellent and they care about their students. The new principal and staff are wonderful and have raised overall test scores by 17 points in 2013. This school stresses the importance of an top quality education in a safe, supporting environment. The PTO is very active and engaged. I am proud that my children go to Kyrene de la Mariposa.

Posted August 7, 2013

I too would have to disagree with the recent 2 star rating. My child has attended this school for 4 years now and while I was not enamored with the new security procedures, in light of recent shootings at public schools across our nation I understand. If the additional steps are put in place to protect my child then I am supportive of it. I would recommend that if this parent is so disappointed by the changes then at lease one other change is in order and that would be for them to leave. The academia has not regressed as described by the writer and the environment is made up of people. The same caring and over achieving staff and teachers that have been there for years. I wouldn't dream of moving my child elsewhere.

Posted May 15, 2013

I'm also speaking up due to the poor review posted by a parent. The security changes are not the school's or the administration's fault. That is a districut wide policy and one that we as parents need to learn how to deal with. The first year of transition with a new principal is always tough, but the new principal has years of experience in the Kyrene district and is doing a good job. Give him a chance to make his mark on Mariposa. I have been at this school for five years now. It is an excellent school with really good teachers who care about the children. The school is a great neighborhood school.

Posted April 6, 2013

This is in response to a recent 2 star review. I'm a parent of a student and have been pleased with our school and the atmosphere there. The new security measures have been made across the country and are wise. It's too bad we parents can't be on the grounds chatting with fellow parents...that has been missed but can't be helped at this time. Change comes with new leadership and I don't think such a negative review is fair since it's been such a short time that they have been in place. I'm not sure how the academic environment has rapidly declined?? Suddenly the teachers don't know how to teach b/c there is a new principal? The remark about being like an "inner city" school is confusing and unfair (and by the way there are "inner city schools that are good!). We all have had different experiences and expectations but I think more time would need to pass before making such blanket negative statements.

Posted March 31, 2013

This school was a 5 star school until this year when new leadership and teachers moved in. The focus is no longer on being a high quality neighborhood school but a disconnected, unfriendly, "inner city" school. The principal is more worried keeping parents and children from being on campus, directing traffic, and his ridiculous security procedures than the rapidly declining academic environment. My daughter and I loved this school, until now! My recommendation would be to look elsewhere for an elementary school for your child. It is sad to know that an A++ school can degrade so quickly. This is not due to the very dedicated long- term teachers at Mariposa but to the new administration of Spencer Fallgetter. He will have Mariposa underperforming in no time just like his last school.

Posted January 21, 2012

Great school! I love the parent-teacher communication, the teachers are amazing! My daughter loves to get up and go to school she gets excited to see her teacher. I refuse to move because I don't want my child to go anywhere else.

Posted May 11, 2011

Mariposa has been granted the highest honor a school can be given with two A+ certifications. This is rare and there is a reason for it. The teachers and staff in this school are outstanding! They truly care about their students and dedicate a great amount of their time helping each child to excel. My child has exceled every year above the standard grade level. As a parent, the teachers have gone above their means to answer all of my questions and needs that I have for my child. The principal is truly dedicated and takes time to talk with the parents and be involved with the students. I am proud to have my child attend such an outstanding school.

Posted March 26, 2011

I transitioned my son (2nd grade) and my daughter (5th grade) because of the reputation of the Kyrene school district and the high ranking for Mariposa. The two teachers that my children were assigned to were completely different. My daughter received, what she considered, the best teacher in the world . This teacher really supported her and in return my daughter excelled. On the other hand, my son was assigned to a teacher who struggled to meet his needs and our expectations, in turn, my son's grades started to slip. When I tried to become more hands on and attend class she became defensive and spoke condescending to both my son and I. On several occasions I explained that I wanted to attend class to see what was being taught in order to re-teach the concepts at home but none of this helped her overall attitude. At the end, I decided that it was best to leave it alone and try to support my son without attending class. However, I was very disappointed in how this teacher handled the situation because she didn t have my son s best interest in mind and treated him poorly throughout the year.

Posted April 14, 2010

When the Arizona state government decided to cut Kindergarten, Mariposa decided to find a way to keep it free. They really care about student and parents.

Posted July 9, 2009

Mariposa school has everything a parent looks for in a school. From the time they are dropped off at Kid Zone morning program they are learning in a fun and enriching environment. During the school day the teachers are dedicated and the special programs, guest speakers, curriculum nights and school events are amazing. As an added bonus the afterschool Kid Zone program has amazing staff members (espcially Mr. Jeremy!), great homework club, and special events every week. Mariposa's prinicpal Marianne Lescher is dedicated to making Mariposa the best school in the state. They have been rated an A+ school twice which is a huge accomplishment. Mariposa is truelly a 10.

Posted May 18, 2006

Very good teachers. They can do better with discipline and extracurricular activities.

Posted May 8, 2006

What a wonderful school! From the exceptional principal down to the caring, helpful lunch ladies, Mariposa is a great example of how a community of educators and parents can work together to create something special. The curriculum is rigorous, yet there is plenty of integration with the arts. All areas of children's development are developed into an institution that, in less talented administrative hands, might be constrained by the demands of the public school setting. Parental support is very strong, and there is a lot of diversity among the population. Safety is always a concern. Above all, it's the willingness to let children exercise their imaginations and uniqueness that makes Mariposa the great school it is.

Posted March 7, 2006

Mariposa is a good school, and I do feel my son is learning. The only problem, is that the school is in the state of Arizona. So the fact that the school does well, really isnt saying much. I feel confident that he will do well, in the long run; because we do reading and math work at home. With the second grade class, they attend music and art one day out of the week. They do not have a sports team, but offer extracurricular activites.(too expensive for my taste, so I send him to Kiwanis) I am not sure about the parent envolvement, they do offer activities that the parents can participate in. Lastly, I would like to mention that the school isnt diverse.

Posted January 10, 2006

This is a top notch school with simply the best kindergarten and first grade teachers to be found. The principal is very hands on and extremely dedicated. That said, it is difficult to obtain formal testing for special education and nearly impossible to get special education services. This school has many 'intervention' programs that they will dedicate to a student - generally increasing a student's ability, however, depriving the student and family of the rights and educational services and supports afforded under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. In some ways, it is great that they work so hard to prevent a child from being labeled. In other ways, one has to wonder what they are trying to prove by having an impossibly low number of special education eligible children - could it be the district lacks required qualified personnel?

Posted August 10, 2005

Excellent academic program. Talented program very popular. Good after school activiites in music and arts.

Posted August 3, 2005

Great school--great principal with excellent background and people skills! As teachers as well as parents, we have generally been happy with the policies, staff, and outcomes. Diverse ethnic population makes this a truly 'global' experience for a child. A gem--the best elementary school we've found in Arizona.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

50 E. Knox Road