PK-5 & Ungraded
Tempe, AZ

Posted September 25, 2014
Mariposa is a wonderful neighborhood school. The staff is dedicated and top notch. We have been at the school for 7 years now and have nothing but great things to say. My family would highly recommend this school to others.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School 1

Posted November 30, 2013
I regret sending my child to this school. The teacher terrorized by 6 year old and made him come home sad everyday. His first grade teacher had no idea how to motivate children to complete the classroom work. She choose to use name calling, ridiculing children and a silly color system to punish non-compliant children. It makes sad that my child had to endure such treatment. I took him out mid school year.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School 1

Posted November 04, 2013
This school has severely set my daughter back the current principal is completely incompetent . The teachers lack communication skills and refuse to work with parents towards the betterment of the child. Because of this school my daughter is severely deficient in math, vocabulary, and reading and will have to retake fifth grade. They take zero accountability and refuse to act on anything.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School 2

Posted October 15, 2013
This school has been such a disappointment. It's not the administration that's to blame it's the culture of bullying that goes on with some parents and teachers. There is no accountability for teachers who are dishonest and abusive. If you speak up your child will suffer and be singled out and picked on by the teacher. Many of the parents are just as bad with their obnoxious cliques and self promoting behavior. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews on here. Anytime someone speaks up they are attacked like the earlier reviewer.

Posted August 24, 2013
I love Mariposa! The teachers are excellent and they care about their students. The new principal and staff are wonderful and have raised overall test scores by 17 points in 2013. This school stresses the importance of an top quality education in a safe, supporting environment. The PTO is very active and engaged. I am proud that my children go to Kyrene de la Mariposa.

Posted August 07, 2013
I too would have to disagree with the recent 2 star rating. My child has attended this school for 4 years now and while I was not enamored with the new security procedures, in light of recent shootings at public schools across our nation I understand. If the additional steps are put in place to protect my child then I am supportive of it. I would recommend that if this parent is so disappointed by the changes then at lease one other change is in order and that would be for them to leave. The academia has not regressed as described by the writer and the environment is made up of people. The same caring and over achieving staff and teachers that have been there for years. I wouldn't dream of moving my child elsewhere.

Posted May 15, 2013
I'm also speaking up due to the poor review posted by a parent. The security changes are not the school's or the administration's fault. That is a districut wide policy and one that we as parents need to learn how to deal with. The first year of transition with a new principal is always tough, but the new principal has years of experience in the Kyrene district and is doing a good job. Give him a chance to make his mark on Mariposa. I have been at this school for five years now. It is an excellent school with really good teachers who care about the children. The school is a great neighborhood school.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School 4

Posted April 06, 2013
This is in response to a recent 2 star review. I'm a parent of a student and have been pleased with our school and the atmosphere there. The new security measures have been made across the country and are wise. It's too bad we parents can't be on the grounds chatting with fellow parents...that has been missed but can't be helped at this time. Change comes with new leadership and I don't think such a negative review is fair since it's been such a short time that they have been in place. I'm not sure how the academic environment has rapidly declined?? Suddenly the teachers don't know how to teach b/c there is a new principal? The remark about being like an "inner city" school is confusing and unfair (and by the way there are "inner city schools that are good!). We all have had different experiences and expectations but I think more time would need to pass before making such blanket negative statements.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School 2

Posted March 31, 2013
This school was a 5 star school until this year when new leadership and teachers moved in. The focus is no longer on being a high quality neighborhood school but a disconnected, unfriendly, "inner city" school. The principal is more worried keeping parents and children from being on campus, directing traffic, and his ridiculous security procedures than the rapidly declining academic environment. My daughter and I loved this school, until now! My recommendation would be to look elsewhere for an elementary school for your child. It is sad to know that an A++ school can degrade so quickly. This is not due to the very dedicated long- term teachers at Mariposa but to the new administration of Spencer Fallgetter. He will have Mariposa underperforming in no time just like his last school.

Posted January 21, 2012
Great school! I love the parent-teacher communication, the teachers are amazing! My daughter loves to get up and go to school she gets excited to see her teacher. I refuse to move because I don't want my child to go anywhere else.

Kyrene de la Mariposa School
50 E. Knox Road, Tempe, AZ  85284
Last modified Kyrene de la Mariposa School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene de la Mariposa School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top