PK-5 & Ungraded
Tempe, AZ

Posted August 18, 2015
I can not say enough good things about Ninos. For a parent researching this school, please read the recent reviews. Ninos has gone through quite a transformation. I'm so proud my children attend a college bound dual language academy! I've been very impressed with the teachers. This is our 3rd year at Ninos and the teachers have been wonderful. They are passionate, they communicate, and truly care about educating their students at a high level. My children are thriving in the dual language program. I also love the community and diversity of Ninos. It is like a big family. There are family events and it is clear that the community is very important to the school. I have also been pleased with the Administration and the direction that Ninos is heading. It has only improved since we've been attending. Every month we are able to meet with the Principal to discuss different issues and I love that that is available to us as parents. We are very happy with Ninos and will continue to recommend this school.

Posted August 17, 2015
We travel 30 plus minutes so our children can participate in the dual language program at Nino's. We have had nothing but a positive experience in the four years our kids have been attending. We have met great parents, teachers and many wonderful administrators.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 17, 2015
Learning a second language is challenging in itself, the teachers ensure that the students are always supported and challenged appropriately.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 17, 2015
All staff have shown a great deal of compassion and caring towards my students. My students are aware of the pillars of character through Ninos, and will use that same language at home when problem solving.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 17, 2015
The school uses Positive Behavior Intervention (PBIS) very effectively. There is a super hero theme that inspires all students to reach higher! Students are taught to be self monitoring and self reflective with the support and feedback from a teacher, it is very effective for having students own their behavior and be "ready to learn" in school.

Posted August 17, 2015
I love Kyrene de los Ninos, my kids attend the dual language program and we have been impressed from day one with the passion and energy put into developing students. Being in the dual language program my children are now bilingual and bi-literate... it is such an amazing program. The staff are all so caring and professional I always feel welcome there as a parent. By the nature of the dual language program my students are in a cohort and as we progress through the years it has been wonderful to see the DL community grow and connect with each other. I have one student who academically advanced for their age and I have one who has needed math support from time to time and the school has been amazing with the resources. The W.A.T.C.H Dogs program has been fantastic and now the new enrichment and/or support groups that happen everyday for every student it seems that every year they are adding a new deeper resource for building and strengthening assets in our students. If you are looking for a school, consider Kyrene de los Ninos for sure! We are out of district and travel over 10 miles to attend! Worth it!!

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
See general review above. This school does nothing to promote growth, challenge and excellence. They are pushing a no homework, choose-your-own-adventure model.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
Again, for the most part, I have felt as though the kids just get pushed through the system here. Teachers don't take the time to get to know the students or the parents and don't want to.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
There have been numerous bullying and theft incidents in the short two years we've been here. Despite the dual language program being a small program, the sense of community is little to none.

Kyrene de los Ninos School 1

Posted August 12, 2015
We have been at this school for two years (2013 to present). If you want to go to a school where the principal tells you with a straight face and conviction that "there are no studies that prove that homework increases student performance" and your student's teacher tells you that their responsibility lies within the four walls of the classroom, then this is the school for you. (And no, my kids aren't "trouble makers", bullies, or under-performing students). In the 3rd grade my son is getting 20 math problems per week assigned on an automated computer program. That's it. No more homework. No vocabulary words. No reading assignments, no writing assignments. Parents are responsible for finding the appropriate resources for everything outside of 20 questions. We chose this school for the dual language program based on its reviews and its reputation for being one of the best programs in one of the best districts. If this is the best AZ public schools has to offer, we are all in trouble. Simply put, this school does not provide the resources nor does it have the interest in teaching your kids the value of mastery, excellence, or challenge. We walked in for meet the teacher night and the white board said "Would you like your student to have homework. Please write their name under the 'Yes' or 'No' column". Nah, I don't want my kids to learn. Of course, our kids saw this, so they got the message before day 1 that homework is and should be optional. I am a strong advocate for second language programs. That is not the issue here. The problem here are teachers and an administration that is looking for the easiest way to check the box next to your student's name, while hiding behind inflated ratings and baseless statistics.

1330 E. Dava Dr., Tempe, AZ  85283
Last modified Kyrene de los Ninos School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene de los Ninos School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top