Tempe, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,231

Kyrene Middle School 2

Posted November 03, 2014
Both my children have attended KMS and I have to say that I haven't been happy with the school overall. Bullying here is a real issue. Both my children have experienced this, my son was able to resolve the issues on his own but it resulted in him just "getting through" his last year at KMS instead of being able to enjoy his time there. I know that children will be children but the amount of inappropriate behavior that is conducted there is almost appalling. My daughter informed me that one of her peers was in trouble at school for having marijuana on her and that several students come to school high. I think with all of the social distractions it is difficult for the children to focus on the academics. If I were to do it all over again I would not put my kids in KMS.

Posted July 19, 2013
My son is in the College Preparatory Program and has been on the honor roll the entire year. He has scored extremely well on his AIMS test, so for my son as an individual I have no complaints. The teachers communicated with me frequently. The school has provided us with resources and assistance and my son has definitely benefited and excelled with their support. My child is multi-racial and hasn t experienced any bullying. I think it is a good school and I have 3 friends who enrolled their children at this school even though they do not live in the district. They also recognize the opportunities that this school provides. We cannot let other kid s behaviors affect our children s education. My son is doing awesome and I believe anyone s kid can excel if they want to!

Kyrene Middle School 3

Posted February 14, 2013
Better than many schools my child has attended. Though not the best I have enrolled my child in. We have been all around Arizona and have been to many horrible schools, though we do believe it is a well made up school, even though parent communication is not well.

Posted January 18, 2013
If a child is experiencing an issue, there are many ways to deal with it. And, this school has numerious programs including the Rachel's Challenge FOR Clubs. My son has numerous friends who attend KMS from his football teams and I've never heard the remarks below from any of those parents.

Kyrene Middle School 1

Posted January 17, 2013
Racism and bullying are bigl a problem at KMS, especially if you are a white male. The administration is aware of the problem(s), but have not found an effective way to deal with it, citing "cultural differences." There are some really good teachers at the school and their performing arts program is one of the best in the district. However, the social environment , lack of respect for authority, low academic expectations, and frequent classroom disruptions, result in a poor learning environment. If your child does not academically qualify for the "Prep Program," I would strongly consider enrolling your child in another middle school.

Kyrene Middle School 4

Posted December 07, 2012
I went here for all 3 of my middle school years and found it to be an excellent school! I got plenty of help from staff and fellow students. i also learned A LOT. I think that anyone who feels that there is bullying due to race, then thats not completely true. It never has anything to do with race when being bullied..a student normally brings it upon themselves or the bullies just pick a feature to torment a student for. So, saying that it's "not a good school to go to if youre white" , is completely and utterly FALSE. And also "buses in too many kids from undesirable areas to keep enrollment up" is also false. They just giving students an equal opportunity to get a good education and KMS is the place to get t!

Kyrene Middle School 1

Posted October 28, 2012
I ended up taking my kid out due to constant bullying. Not a good school to go to if your white! Lots of racisim in Kyrene Middle School and the Administration can't stop it.

Posted July 03, 2011
We came from an expensive private school and KMS has exceeded our expectations! Challenging classes, approachable teachers who enjoy what they do and great leadership from the principal. At the private school, every decision and change was painstaking with administration taking forever to complete a task. At KMS, they jump right in, make the change, analyze it, tweek it and so far... the experience has been a success for my child. I feel my child is well prepared for high school (and perhaps college too) after the courses taken and also had great exposure to music, art, P.E. and computers. I give KMS a big thumbs up and am looking forward to the new challenges they have in store for my next child who will attend middle school soon.

Kyrene Middle School 2

Posted April 27, 2011
Kyrene Middle School buses in too many kids from undesirable areas to keep enrollment up,and the apples dont fall far from the trees if you know what i mean.My son tells me of fights every day at the bus area,loud disruptive students, and teachers that are overwhelmed with "BAD APPLES"

Posted July 23, 2009
its a great school to go to and they have great teacher's

Kyrene Middle School
1050 East Carver Road, Tempe, AZ  85284
Last modified Kyrene Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top