K-8 & Ungraded
Tolleson, AZ

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
Admin claims that they are a kids at Hope school but there discipline policy suggests different. When kids get in trouble they force teachers to have kids stand with their face literally touching the wall in front of all of the class. You might as well put a dunce cap on kids. It's terrible and humiliating. -teacher

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
They have no hope due to poor administration and multiple substitute teachers because they can't keep real ones

Dos Rios Elementary School 1

Posted July 28, 2015
Mr Collins has no idea what he is doing. There are more long term subs in the building than teachers. Dr rice only cares about getting a budget not kids. Which he literally said at a district meeting. Most middle school classes have 40+ kids in them with children sitting on the floor. There are uncertified teachers teaching required classes that kids are tested in for the state. Teachers constantly lose their prep periods as well as lunch as if we were working in a third world country. They claim to be kids at Hope school which is an awesome philosophy however student discipline has kids staring at the wall for long periods of time. You might as well put a dunce hat on them and call them stupid. I would not send my child to this school or any Union elementary schools if you paid me. Parents DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE And put them through this abuse. By the end of the year six teachers quit and only a few actually stayed to work there. They had to hire an entire 8 th grade team and four out of six seventh grade teachers for 2015-16. The unfortunate year that I worked there they hired an entire 7th grade team and four out of six 8th grade teachers. I believe around 20 teachers left in total. that should tell you something about Collins welsh and rice. They have no clue as to what they are doing. Kids have NO HOPE at this school. -teacher

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 28, 2015
This is an absolutely horrible school. The average class size in the middle grades is around 40+ students with kids sitting on the floor. By October of 2014 we had two teachers out of five quit on our team. Shortly after we lost the art teacher, the gym teacher and never got an English second languages teacher. Not to mention one of our core teachers was not certified to teach their subject. By the end of the year the team was full of substitutes. Mr Collins has no idea how to run a building and dr rice doesn't care about kids. Just the budget. He literally said his only goal is to have helped a school budget to add that to his resume. Parents. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS To ANY Of UNION ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS. They claim to be kids at Hope but their discipline policy has teachers put their face against the wall for humiliation purposes. You might as well have the kids wear a dunce hat. This school is a joke. They overwork their teachers and when a teacher brings up workers rights violations they are accused of being negative and bringing down moral. The teachers work extremely hard but I can not say the same for administration. It is very sad because the kids are awesome and want to learn but it is almost impossible when they sit on the floor, have a sub almost everyday, and are made to stand on one foot against the wall.

Dos Rios Elementary School 4

Posted July 21, 2015
I feel they have help my kid in so many ways....I think it's a great school :)

Dos Rios Elementary School 1

Posted October 29, 2014
Personally to me this is a horrible school, when my child first started everyone seemed nice, shortly after I started to notice a change in the staff's behavior, front office womanis never welcoming. I have heard my child's teacher scream at the kids. My child told me her art teacher yells because he wants it very quiet. Last week she had a substitute teacher , my child told me the teacher was mean and yelled at them to Shut Up. If these teachers do not like their job or kids they should NOT be working at a school. Since day one I'd had issues with this school and the teachers. The principal is very nice he might be too overwhelmed trying to keep it all together, I approached him regarding issues with my child's teacher, nothing was done, bulling is an issue at this school and it is Not taken seriously. I have witness my child's teacher just blow it off as my child was telling her what an other kid did to her. Horrible Horrible school. I am not able to change school yet, and my child has new friends. It bothers me how uncaring her teacher is, she doesn't bother helping the kids tie their shoes or assist them with anything, these are First graders not High school kids.

Dos Rios Elementary School 5

Posted June 24, 2014
I have been a parent at this school since it opened. I have seen a dramatic change in the school and staff in the past few years. When my students first started, the school was disorganized and the curriculum was lacking. Now I see the school has brought in some quality programs and has high expectations for my kids. I also want to comment on the start up of Make Your Day. This was a tricky adjustment for some of my neighbors because their children are held accountable for their actions on campus but I am very pleased. I have seen a decrease in my kids' complaints about disruptions in the classroom as well as behaviors that I have seen. I continue to be impressed by the growth of this school and can't wait to see what the future brings.

Dos Rios Elementary School 2

Posted March 08, 2014
This school has a high turn over rate for teachers, because of lack of support and lack of consistency. They implement new programs to make the school better, but then do nothing to uphold it. The school would improve if they could support the teachers and uphold the programs.

Dos Rios Elementary School 5

Posted October 31, 2013
This school has done a major turn around!! We are striving to be one of the best schools in the state.

2150 S. 87th Avenue, Tolleson, AZ  85353
Last modified Dos Rios Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dos Rios Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top