No rating

Tag Elementary School

Charter | K-8 | 247 students

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $167,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted May 31, 2013

My son attended TAG for 1.5 years. When Mr Meehan and Mr Roll left, my son followed Mr Meehan to his new school - Tucson International Academy. The performance of a school is vested in it's teachers, and when Mr Meehan and Mr Roll left, TAG lost everything that they had to offer my son. Mr Meehan is now the principal at the TIA East Campus and we are very happy with our decision to have our son follow Mr Meehan there.

Posted April 16, 2013

I have been less than impressed with this school this year. They are not very organized and do not communicate well with the parents. I should be careful and say that that has been my experience with our son's teacher in particular, but there are not very many events with teachers, parents and students. I like to be more involved in my child's schooling, but they have not made it easy to do this. My son will not be returning next year - whether it is closing or not.

Posted April 3, 2013

This school is closing and changing ownership and all should know this. The principal could not come up and presented vision and set of goals for the school and backed out of renewing the charter. All parents should know this and plan to send students elsewhere.

Posted June 25, 2012

Overall, the experience at TAG was enjoyable. The prinicpal was amazing. Anytime I had an issues he took care of it right away! My daughter was in 6th grade and extremely shy! I felt like her needs were being met for the most part by her teachers. She liked both of her teachers and that is a big thing for me as a parent! If our family was not relocating we absolutely would have allowed her to attend there again!

Posted February 27, 2012

I am very happy with the school. Whenever there is an issue or problem, it is resolved immediately. It has very caring teachers: love Ms. Svitlana since Kinder, and Ms. Beck's yoga classes for the 1st graders. I wish she would offer yoga to the whole school! My son still enjoys yoga.

Posted December 2, 2011

My daughter started Kinder this year at TAG. At first i was worried with all the money i had to spend for the supplies. HOWEVER, since then i have been nothing but impressed with the school. I love Mrs. Svitlana and Mrs. Carrie!! My daughter is reading and learning Spanish! The only thing i would change about the school is that i wish it had a bus system. I drive 30 mins one way to TAG each school day..

Posted December 1, 2011

Our family relocated to Tucson from NY where my daughter attended private school her whole life. At TAG I feel like I'm getting a private school education for 100% off! The classes are smaller and she gets the one to one attention all students deserve. She is receiving 6th grade work ( she's in the 5th grade) and is performing on an A level. The days are long but a three day weekend more than makes up for that. I guess Mr Roll and Mr Meehan are the rock stars of TAG because surprise surprise.. They're her favorite teachers as well.

Posted June 22, 2011

I really enjoy working at TAG as a Middle School Teacher. Our staff is very supportive of each other and ready and willing to go the extra mile to make sure our kids are successful. Our teachers look after all the students in the school, not just their own. We are a small school, but in 2011 about 1/3 of our graduating eighth grade class made it into one of the top schools in Arizona (namely, UHS or Basis). Those schools require students to take competency tests in a variety of subject matters and the vast majority of students don t make it in. All of our students are required to take Spanish and our 7th and 8th graders are also required to take Mandarin Chinese. We have a very active soccer program and our middle schoolers have a Yearbook and a Drama and Video Club. Our middle school curriculum is challenging enough for the brightest students. The average 7th grader takes Algebra I and we go up to Algebra II. I also have the pleasure of taking our students out of state every year to Catalina Island for a Marine Biology field trip. Working at TAG is a lot of fun and I strongly recommend the school to students and parents.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 2, 2010

I have gone to this school for 3 and a half years, and it is the best school I have gone to. It has great teachers(Mr.Roll and Mr.Meehan being my favorite) and has a very good performance, no matter if it is the AIMS or just a simple quiz. I've seen this school given a bad review by some kids who really need to understand that a good school doesn't let you do whatever you want. A good school is a school that gives a pupil an Education, Discipline, and enough time to relax while staying in the game. And I'm happy to say that TAG meets that standard. The 7/8th Class Math is very advanced, but it is well explained by Mr.Roll, our 7/8th grade Math teacher. Sincerely, Faruz

Posted July 22, 2010

i hated this school a lot. very much grrrrrr........i Hate it! i went here for 4 years. dont come to this school. go to the tanque verde school district!!!!

Posted October 9, 2009

I gave this school the best score because it gave my son the confidence he needed to become a better student and to believe in himself again after a 4th grade fiasco in public school. Mr. Meehan was the best teacher my son ever had. He still talks about him and remembers the good advice and the caring person that Mr. Meehan is. I loved the staff and would recommend this school with no reservations. Marie Brick

Posted May 27, 2009

I love this school my daughter went there for kindergarten and has learned so much and you can see how grown up she is. The teachers are wonderful and always making sure the parents are updated on everything that is going on in the school and classroom!

Posted September 19, 2008

my granddaughter was enrolled in the Kindergarten program this fall(2008). she has grown in confidence, shown great advancement under her teacher's loving hand and become a very productive student..We love TAG!

Posted August 13, 2008

The teachers and administration are extremely attentive to the students needs. They have small class rooms, afterschool activities and a personalbe friendly environment. The teachers are certified and great at transitioning knowledge through exercises, activities and of course homework.

Posted July 21, 2008

The teachers and staff are great. Small enough for everyone to know your children. My daughter loves the school. Most of the parents have good things to say about Tag. Tag has an after school program, and sports.

Posted June 4, 2008

This school has been wonderful for my girl who was bullied at the Academy of Tucson. The smaller classes (there were 10? in her class), the dress code enforcement, Mr. Curtis, Mr. Meehan and the staff are wonderful. Thank you TAG for making our daughter feel safe. She was a flower blossoming in your school.

Posted May 27, 2008

We have finished up our 4th year at Tag. My 3 kids have done extremely well. I just want to thank all the staff and teachers that worked so hard for our children, my kids love to go to school! Again thanks to Mr. Meehan for all his hard work as principal this year, we look forward to seeing you all in August. The Weneck Family!

Posted February 11, 2008

This year, there is a principal who is dealing with issues, and that has improved things greatly . We have been pleased with the teacher quality, And, it's true there are only very few playground equipment and sports/PE accessories/programs. The elective classes are also very understaffed or minimal, depending on the grade. But the dress code has been enforced (or actually thought up) this year and that has been a good change for the upper grades. Overall, I'm pleased with my daughter's progress. Things have definitely headed in the right direction this year.

Posted February 7, 2008

I moved my son from a public school to tag this year. I really love this school. The days are longer for the kids which is great for it gives the teachers more time to work on what is important that kids need to know to be sucessful in their years to come. my son is in the 4th grade and goes to school from 7:30am to 3pm and as they get older the day is longer and they go up until the 8th grade. I will leave my son at this school and he will be way beyond most students going into high school. I really like how the focus on math reading and writing. The principal is very easy to talk to about anything as well as the teachers. My son is much happier at tag as well as myself and my husband. Thank-you Tag...keep up the good work.charmagne

Posted January 8, 2008

The teachers are exceeding the level of education that our children require. So TAG doesn't have sports or music, so what? If I had to choose between TAG, a school that provides my child with a top notch education, or a random public school, that had a sports program, I'm going with TAG every time! Keep up the good work TAG!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10129 East Speedway Boulevard