Arizona College Prep Academy

Charter | 9-12 | 130 students

Our School is Best Known For a Rigorous Project-Based College Prep Environment

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $133,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 29, 2014

Arizona College Prep Academy applied for a Charter Transfer in 2012. The Arizona State Board for Charter Schools approved that application. At that time, the charter for Arizona College Prep Academy was transferred to a new non-profit corporation, Collaborative Pathways. Collaborative Pathways has a Board that is responsible solely for the operation of Arizona College Prep Academy. With the transfer, ACPA separated entirely from Amerischools and is no longer affiliated in any way with that organization or the schools it operates. In 2013, ACPA relocated to a new and permanent location, 3434 E. Broadway. The Collaborative Pathways Board and the Faculty and Administration of ACPA are looking forward to continuing our tradition of opportunity, achievement and empowerment for our students and alumni while continuing to innovate, motivate and provide a top-notch, theoretically sound curriculum to our students. Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Posted May 31, 2011

All three of our children are in the Amerischools system and we couldn't be happier with their progress.

Posted May 12, 2011

ACPA is remarkable in its efforts to get their students ready for the bigger challenge of life after high school. I would recommend ACPA to any of my family and friends. The teachers are enormously caring...they really want each student to succeed. And, if college is a goal? They make every student ready and help them with scholarship assistance. The teaching staff have a remarkable record of their students receiving well deserved scholarships from universities across the country. I'm a grandparent and am so pleased with my own grandchildren's education at ACPA.

Posted May 10, 2011

I switched to ACPA after 2 years at my public high school and it was the best decision that my parents could have made. The difference in my education after I switched was truly astounding. Unlike my previous high school, where the teachers hardly listened or took the time to understand the students and their needs, I was now at a school with teachers who were genuinely interested and concerned with my education and my future. They helped nurture the student that I knew I could be, but had struggled to be at a big public high school. My first 2 years of school my grades included a number of Cs in Ds and never an A. But By the time I graduated from ACPA I had almost straight As for my final semester. This is a school I highly recommend. It is truly education at its best and one of the most positive high school experiences that a student can ask for.

Posted May 6, 2011

ACPA was one of the best experiences I ever had. Never before had I known what it felt like to be a part of a community or how to work towards and make choices that would lead to a better life for me now. In addition to being academically challenging, one is encouraged to learn valuable skills in areas such as leadership and citizenship that really set a foundation for how the real world outside of a school environment works. Be prepared, if considering ACPA, to be held accountable to your actions and to be pushed past your comfort zone. But also be prepared to feel more love and community than you ever thought possible. If you want to go to college with the most opportunities possible, ACPA is the place that will do everything in its power to get those opportunities for you. I am a very proud alumni and I never hesitate to recommend ACPA to anyone who looking for a high school.

Posted March 10, 2011

My son LOVES this school! He wakes up in the morning & WANTS to go to school! He gets the one on one attention he needs. All the teachers seem to be very dedicated, caring, & proficient at their jobs. Every one gets along with everyone else & my son is EXCITED about his future! I feel the environment at this school is laid back yet serious about education. The passion for education & building a great foundation for the future is resounding within these walls! This is my son's first year here & has already received offers from colleges wanting him to attend. I love that we don't have to worry about a scholarship, this school (and my son) will make sure my son gets one! We moved here from the Mid-west & finding a school that ranks with that was a BLESSING!

Posted May 20, 2010

As an Alumni from ACPA I can tell you from personal experience. When I came to the school i thought i could blow off everything just like i did at the local public middle school. But ACPA offered me a curriculum that challenged me to succeed, I went from a C and D student my freshman year to an A and B student my Junior and Senior years, because these teachers pushed me to succeed, and made me want more out of life than money. and a decent job, they made me want a family, and to find a way in my own way to make the world a better place.

Posted February 23, 2009

This school has a great enviroment the students and teachers have great relationships! I have been going here for a while and I have learned more here than i have in any school I've been too, and I have been to alot. The teachers are very willing to help you with anything in any subject, no question is a stupid question. The is a great atmosphere between students they encourage eachother and always thrive for friendships. They have great classes and extra curricular activities! This is the best school you could go to, and the best to send your kids too.

Posted February 6, 2009

ACPA has done a great job preparing my child for college. The support that is offered during that process was great. I also love the way students travel out into the community or bring in experts. This past year, my child has gone to Raytheon, the UA 3-D imaging lab, the Botanical Gardens and just loves going to school.

Posted January 13, 2009

I used to be a student at ACPA and I have to say it was amazing the teachers are great and everyones friendly and wants to get to know you, the teachers actually care about what's going on in your life and if you need help with your work they are alwasy there for you

Posted December 28, 2008

You know I actually really like acpa. The teachers are really kind and care about you, and very helpful. Also the majority of the students are very supporting and because t is so small there are not quite so many problems that you experience in a larger educational facility such as excessive bullying or exclusion. Although I must have to note that I do fell a certain degree of clique-y-ness if you will,which I don t like very much. Also a slight degree of segregation, between the Hispanics and the rest of the student body. It is not severe of course, but it is felt and troubles me slightly. But other than that it really is an excellent school with a reasonable amount of homework and, reiterating an above stated point, amazing teachers and quite kind students.

Posted December 2, 2008

I am ACPA freshman. It is THE best school ever!! With great tutoring and wonderful teacher involvement...they really care about what you think, and if you understand the lesson.

Posted November 28, 2008

As a current student attending acpa, i'll be the first to say this school gives you a good foundation in schooling if you are lacking or come from a bad school, but it gives you no room to expand educationaly. You follow there curricular course, or you leave. Plus all the 'community' aspects are just like any other school.If you get along well with the big group you'll get along just fine. And all the 'team building' and 'griffin pride' come in such excessive amounts it makes you wanna gag. Plus the teachers are always in your space preaching to you about your choices. If you are not an 'acpaer' then you'll loathe this school

Posted March 24, 2008

If you are not serious about school then the teachers will do everything they can to help you become a more proactive person and student. This community is made of positive and caring people who want to make a better future. If I ever have children I would want them to go to a school like this.

Posted December 20, 2007

Over my 4 years at this school my life has improved greatly not only in academics but also as a citizen in the community. This school has provided me as well as many of my peers with a safe learning facility in which we can all feel safe and expand our horizens. I was a shy student with lower then average grades in middle school when I entered ACPA but over my years at this school I have changed. I am now comfortable around my peers and my community as a whole and have nearly perfect grades. I greatly recommend this school if you value your growth academically and mentally.

Posted December 20, 2007

I am a senior at ACPA and I absolutely love this school. It has not only helped me grow academically but also emotionally and mentally. When I graduate I will take more with me than I ever thought I would in terms of memories, lessons learned, personal advice from the teachers, and so much more. I had so much fun with local bands coming to our school and having concerts for the students. On top of that the different music styles and sounds that I was exposed to inspired me to write songs of my own and find that I too am a musician and opened my eyes to my own love of music.

Posted May 2, 2007

This school is great academically and the teachers will do everything in their power to have kids succeed. My only complaint is a lack of music and sports programs.

Posted November 13, 2006

After homeschooling for 9 years, we are blessed to have found ACPA. The prospect of public highschool was terrifying. But our daughter loves ACPA. The principal really cares about the students and wants to help each one succeed. I highly recommend ACPA!

Posted July 6, 2006

I have had both of my children at ACPA as well as several family friends. I cannot even imagine a more exciting or amazing school. The teacher's are professional, caring and incredibly passionate. I am always shocked by the work they do with the kids as whole people. The success rates don't even begin to touch the human accomplishments achieved in this building. My kids love this school like a second home and I enthusiastically recommend ACPA for any parent. The extracurricular choices are almost endless. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza and all the staff. You have created an unparalleled learning environment.

Posted April 26, 2006

Overall I have been pleased with academic programs. It troubles me that there are no arts programs. My chief complaint would be the quality of teachers who are currently there, and an apparent lack of professional leadership. The school's goals are in line with mine, but I have not always agreed with procedure.

Posted January 29, 2006

This school is a fantastic place for teens to not only learn academically but also grow as far as people.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school La Paloma Academy
Sonoran Science - Broadway
Dodge Middle School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 10% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 85% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Arizona
University of San Diego
Smith College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Hebrew
Spanish
Turkish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Arizona Charter School of the Year (2008)
  • "A" Rated School (2014)
  • US News and World Report Bronze Medal School (2008)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:45
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 4:45 p.m.
  • Charlene Mendoza
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Honors track
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Dual Enrollment at Pima Community Colleg
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• College counselor(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom