Arizona College Prep Academy

Charter | 9-12 | 130 students

Our School is Best Known For a Rigorous Project-Based College Prep Environment

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $133,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 29, 2014

Arizona College Prep Academy applied for a Charter Transfer in 2012. The Arizona State Board for Charter Schools approved that application. At that time, the charter for Arizona College Prep Academy was transferred to a new non-profit corporation, Collaborative Pathways. Collaborative Pathways has a Board that is responsible solely for the operation of Arizona College Prep Academy. With the transfer, ACPA separated entirely from Amerischools and is no longer affiliated in any way with that organization or the schools it operates. In 2013, ACPA relocated to a new and permanent location, 3434 E. Broadway. The Collaborative Pathways Board and the Faculty and Administration of ACPA are looking forward to continuing our tradition of opportunity, achievement and empowerment for our students and alumni while continuing to innovate, motivate and provide a top-notch, theoretically sound curriculum to our students. Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Posted May 20, 2014

This school was able to give me the freedom of mind and the freedom of heart. While attending ACPA I was able to transform from my angry, frantic, scattered freshman self to the Student Council President my senior year. It took a lot of hard work and my teachers were able to help me out through the whole process. Something amazing about this school is the fact that the teachers are attentive to the needs of the student and meet the needs of the student. Which is helpful and beneficial to our students. I especially love Mr.Brower, who has helped me find the inner artist in me. Mr.Brower made sure that I could freely express myself. He also encouraged me to turn in my work and to become a better student. Through Mr.Brower's tutelage I was able to improve and more fully evolve into reaching my full potential. Mr and Mrs.Mendoza also helped me find my voice. Mr.Mendoza supplied the counter arguments to every argument that I made in order to let me think more thoroughly about my actions and thoughts. While, Mrs.Mendoza helped me in a kind and gentle way to become stronger and let me be myself. All in all, this school is great!

Posted April 24, 2014

As a grandparent and community member, I appreciate the dedication of the staff and all of the opportunities they provide on a daily basis to help each student progress and succeed. Students are challenged to think critically and search for their own voice. That is very important in this day and age when it is so easy for teenagers to be influenced by pop culture and the media. I support their efforts and feel strongly that their level of achievement, community partnerships and graduation rate speak to their reputation and continuing success.

Posted March 8, 2014

This school is driven to exceed at all costs. Even at the cost of your child's well-being. If your child is willing to put in 12 hours a day, ignore rest and fun so they can get a 4.25 GPA, they will love this school. Students are told to come in before school and work, to stay after and work and to work during lunch. I am not exaggerating. My son had to have surgery and missed 4 days of school. He was reprimanded for this. He was also marked down on his progress report, I kid you not, for not coming in BEFORE school in the morning to take advantage of study time offered by the school. He was told that he would never go to college because he liked to play basket ball during lunch. My son is an above average kid. He doesn't smoke or do drugs or play hours of video games. But more than one teacher has called him "an idiot" and he has been told numerous times he will never go to college. During History class they lectured a number of days on the evils of Disney movies, how they are racist and against women's rights. This school is ULTRA-LIBERAL! They will tell your kids what to believe and how to think. Faith is not encouraged. Not a good atmosphere. We are leaving.

Posted February 13, 2014

Arizona College Prep Academy is an excellent school. Their dedication to educating my child is amazing. My son has and IEP and they work so diligently to keep him on track. I REALLY appreciate their efforts on his behalf!

Posted February 1, 2014

ACPA has offered me a great environment in which to hone my craft as a teacher. Also, a wonderful professional team to push me. I love all of the clubs and activities we offer (music, robotics, knitting, frisbee, literary club, soccer, financial face-off, French club, are just a few). Our students amaze me every day. Our alumni are all over the country and world, and still very much active members of our Griffin community. Our results have been among the best in Tucson for well over a decade. Please check out our school if you are a student, or a parent of a student, serious about working towards college.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 1, 2014

I am in 9th grade at Arizona College Prep, and I love it! The teachers are great; very helpful and knowledgable. Its very small, which keeps it as a warm, caring atmosphere, where everybody knows everyone else. The teaching is very individualized, tailored to each students needs, and the staff is willing to do almost anything to help you to understand. But not only do they teach us our necessary academic skills, they make sure we are prepared for life in and out of college, as more than just a scholar, as a person. I participate in Ultimate frisbee with Mr. Mendoza after school, and I really enjoy it. I am strongly looking forward to my remaining semester and 3 more years at this wonderful school!

Posted October 17, 2013

Arizona College Prep is an amazing school. I have considered how to say how this school changes its students, and how many opportunities that the staff provides for these kids, but there is no other way to say it except what I think is true. An ACPA education does model college life, and at times, can be more challenging than college work. The teachers hold students to a higher standard than any other instructors I've met. Actually, they not only strongly encourage it, but they support students and help them find themselves. For kids who are open to everything available at this school, and driven enough to stick with studying, class work and extra activities, there are exceptional rewards. I am a graduate attending Smith College, with EXCELLENT scholarships because of my teachers at ACPA. To be honest, if I had gone to a different school I would still end up in a college. However, I would have never been awarded the aid I received, and I would not be attending Smith. That is only one success story that ACPA has helped create though. If you have the opportunity, ask the faculty about some of the awesome alumni. Ask about student life, what the teachers do and you'll see what I mean.

Posted October 4, 2013

I am confused as to why there are reviews here from 2009 when the ACPA listed as "arizona college Pret Academy" just recently received their charter. They seem to be working the system renaming their school from Amerischool College Prep Academy with the same ACPA. to my knowledge they Amerischool....lost their charter and did public records show they did a poor job with their funding and even have many civial court cases to show this. Now with the same branding and the same people just switch funding and try again at the expense of the students. DO YOUR HOMEWORK PEOPLE

Posted August 9, 2013

Lead by passionate educators who really "get" their student population, ACPA is changing the lives of high school students who need the intimate setting of a smaller setting to thrive. Each student is known by the teachers and accountable for their performace. Enrichment opportunities via community volunteer activities, internships and field trips allow the students to take their learning outside the classroom and put it into action. centrally-located, this school is along major bus routes and easy to get to with nearby amentities. Strong enthusiasm, positive feedback and graduates who prove the school is leaving a legacy in the lives of many.

Posted August 7, 2013

my daughter has attended ACPA since the 2nd semester of her freshman year and she is now a senior. i gave her an opportunity to go to the school of her choice her freshman year and she chose sahuaro. i gave her one semester to prove to me that she would get good grades and she came home with 2 f's. i then enrolled her into a school of my choice and stumbled upon ACPA. im very happy i did. she has made such a huge improvement and now is about to graduate highschool but better yet, wants to attend college. she is now thinking about a future where education is important and i know that ACPA is a big part of that reason. The teachers, principal and even the front office lady are very open and easy to talk to. i have needed to talk to them on several occasions to voice any concerns i had and they were always open and willing to hear anthing i said. as a single mother, i appreciate that because i am glad that i have people on my side that care about my daughter and what she does with her life. i love the dress codes that they inforce, the classroom environments and even the lunch options that they have for my daughter. if you are considering to bring your child to ACPA, YOU SHOULD!

Posted August 5, 2013

I've followed ACPA closely since its inception in 1998/1999. The teachers and staff have always adhered to the principle of offering the best education possible to every student in attendance. Their higher than average (95%) graduation rate for their seniors speaks to the efficacy of their teaching methods. The incredible, and personal synergy created by the caring teacher, and the student, prepares the young person far beyond a diploma. The student is helped to appreciate the life around them and how their part will help everyone around them. This grandfather has seen the effect of ACPA's educational leadership in their graduates years after their time in high school. The kids eyes have been opened to look at the world around them far differently than the usual public curriculum. Thank you ACPA!

Posted August 4, 2013

I am currently a Student at ACPA and have attended it for three years. ACPA is truly a college Prep school preparing me not only for the academic challenges of going to college but for the social ways as well. With the small school environment each student gets a chance to achieve their personal best. Anyone looking for a College Prep experience should strongly consider ACPA. (Anyone not looking to go to college probably shouldn't)

Posted August 4, 2013

Arizona College Prep Academy is an excellent school because it has the best staff and administration, the very best of the students, who want to show the world that everybody matters and everybody can make a difference in their communities and in their countries, with proper education and love and respect for each other.

Posted June 10, 2012

I'm so pleased with the quality of the curriculum, and teachers at ACPA. The teacher involvement with the kids is simply outstanding. I would highly encourage any family desiring something a little bit extra for their children to consider this outstanding school. Thank you, ACPA!

Posted November 14, 2011

From my experience at this school I have found that they, the staff, move slowly but thoroughly. They get you about 95-98% prepared for the AIMS and all the teachers work as a community. Their methodology for dividing the classes could use some work. The principal, who doesn't have to much time her hands, teaches the higher level English classes and the only problem I have with that is that MOST ALL of the assignments are highly subjective which is not conducive to a school environment, one of which was a study of the book called "The N word" where weeks were spent giving each other opinions about a document that quite honestly nobody in the class truly cared about. Personally, based on my observations, the school needs to teach the students to keep their opinions to themselves because by sharing an opinion you create conflict which does not make it easy to actually learn.

Posted October 29, 2011

The school is basically a cult. If you dont conform to their way of thinking, youre an outcast. I left the school and succeeded much more than i did when i was there. The teachers want to brainwash you and not to think for yourself. Creativity and individuality are not welcome.

Posted July 18, 2011

I spent all four years of my high school career at ACPA. As a student going into my junior year at the University of Arizona, and having designed my own interdisciplinary degree program, I can confidently say that ACPA was exactly what I needed to get my academic career on track. Thanks to the dedicated and academically diverse faculty at ACPA, I'm living a future I only once dreamed of. Parents, please strongly consider sending your kid to this school. You'd be doing a disservice to your child and to yourself by putting them in the failing TUSD system.

Posted June 23, 2011

As a teacher recently retired from ACPA, I am thankful that my final years of classroom teaching were among teachers, staff, and administrators of such excellence. The opportunity to watch student's lives change through the efforts of a totally committed group of teachers was a real privilege. Wonders happen when the well-being of students is always first in the minds of teachers.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 15, 2011

This was my first year at ACPA and I enjoyed it. When I first arrived I didn't want to be there at all. If your child is like me the teachers will do their best to get you to enjoy your time. If you don't like it they won't force you to like it. You face a rigorous yet manageable schedule. You face a feeling of community the moment you step into the building. The students help you figure out what to do. Scholarship time of the year was when I really started opening my eyes and seeing that TUSD was nothing compared to ACPA.

Posted June 3, 2011

My son just graduated from High School. His performance went from a D - C Student to an A - B student. His attitude and behavior also changed for better and now he is ready for College. Thanks to the school and teachers efforts my son was able to accomplished this goal and now his future is brighter and better. Thanks Amerischools!!

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 52%N/A49%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A47%
Male 48%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school La Paloma Academy
Sonoran Science - Broadway
Dodge Middle School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 10% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 85% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Arizona
University of San Diego
Smith College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Hebrew
Spanish
Turkish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Arizona Charter School of the Year (2008)
  • "A" Rated School (2014)
  • US News and World Report Bronze Medal School (2008)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:45
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 4:45 p.m.
  • Charlene Mendoza
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Honors track
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Dual Enrollment at Pima Community Colleg
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• College counselor(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom