Public charter
Tucson, AZ
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Arizona College Prep Academy applied for a Charter Transfer in 2012. The Arizona State Board for Charter Schools approved that application. At that time, the charter for Arizona College Prep Academy was transferred to a new non-profit corporation, Collaborative Pathways. Collaborative Pathways has a Board that is responsible solely for the operation of Arizona College Prep Academy. With the transfer, ACPA separated entirely from Amerischools and is no longer affiliated in any way with that organization or the schools it operates. In 2013, ACPA relocated to a new and permanent location, 3434 E. Broadway. The Collaborative Pathways Board and the Faculty and Administration of ACPA are looking forward to continuing our tradition of opportunity, achievement and empowerment for our students and alumni while continuing to innovate, motivate and provide a top-notch, theoretically sound curriculum to our students. Please feel free to contact me for more information.
March 29, 2014

Posted May 20, 2014
This school was able to give me the freedom of mind and the freedom of heart. While attending ACPA I was able to transform from my angry, frantic, scattered freshman self to the Student Council President my senior year. It took a lot of hard work and my teachers were able to help me out through the whole process. Something amazing about this school is the fact that the teachers are attentive to the needs of the student and meet the needs of the student. Which is helpful and beneficial to our students. I especially love Mr.Brower, who has helped me find the inner artist in me. Mr.Brower made sure that I could freely express myself. He also encouraged me to turn in my work and to become a better student. Through Mr.Brower's tutelage I was able to improve and more fully evolve into reaching my full potential. Mr and Mrs.Mendoza also helped me find my voice. Mr.Mendoza supplied the counter arguments to every argument that I made in order to let me think more thoroughly about my actions and thoughts. While, Mrs.Mendoza helped me in a kind and gentle way to become stronger and let me be myself. All in all, this school is great!

Posted April 24, 2014
As a grandparent and community member, I appreciate the dedication of the staff and all of the opportunities they provide on a daily basis to help each student progress and succeed. Students are challenged to think critically and search for their own voice. That is very important in this day and age when it is so easy for teenagers to be influenced by pop culture and the media. I support their efforts and feel strongly that their level of achievement, community partnerships and graduation rate speak to their reputation and continuing success.

Arizona College Prep Academy 1

Posted March 08, 2014
This school is driven to exceed at all costs. Even at the cost of your child's well-being. If your child is willing to put in 12 hours a day, ignore rest and fun so they can get a 4.25 GPA, they will love this school. Students are told to come in before school and work, to stay after and work and to work during lunch. I am not exaggerating. My son had to have surgery and missed 4 days of school. He was reprimanded for this. He was also marked down on his progress report, I kid you not, for not coming in BEFORE school in the morning to take advantage of study time offered by the school. He was told that he would never go to college because he liked to play basket ball during lunch. My son is an above average kid. He doesn't smoke or do drugs or play hours of video games. But more than one teacher has called him "an idiot" and he has been told numerous times he will never go to college. During History class they lectured a number of days on the evils of Disney movies, how they are racist and against women's rights. This school is ULTRA-LIBERAL! They will tell your kids what to believe and how to think. Faith is not encouraged. Not a good atmosphere. We are leaving.

Posted February 13, 2014
Arizona College Prep Academy is an excellent school. Their dedication to educating my child is amazing. My son has and IEP and they work so diligently to keep him on track. I REALLY appreciate their efforts on his behalf!

Posted February 01, 2014
ACPA has offered me a great environment in which to hone my craft as a teacher. Also, a wonderful professional team to push me. I love all of the clubs and activities we offer (music, robotics, knitting, frisbee, literary club, soccer, financial face-off, French club, are just a few). Our students amaze me every day. Our alumni are all over the country and world, and still very much active members of our Griffin community. Our results have been among the best in Tucson for well over a decade. Please check out our school if you are a student, or a parent of a student, serious about working towards college.

Posted February 01, 2014
I am in 9th grade at Arizona College Prep, and I love it! The teachers are great; very helpful and knowledgable. Its very small, which keeps it as a warm, caring atmosphere, where everybody knows everyone else. The teaching is very individualized, tailored to each students needs, and the staff is willing to do almost anything to help you to understand. But not only do they teach us our necessary academic skills, they make sure we are prepared for life in and out of college, as more than just a scholar, as a person. I participate in Ultimate frisbee with Mr. Mendoza after school, and I really enjoy it. I am strongly looking forward to my remaining semester and 3 more years at this wonderful school!

Posted October 17, 2013
Arizona College Prep is an amazing school. I have considered how to say how this school changes its students, and how many opportunities that the staff provides for these kids, but there is no other way to say it except what I think is true. An ACPA education does model college life, and at times, can be more challenging than college work. The teachers hold students to a higher standard than any other instructors I've met. Actually, they not only strongly encourage it, but they support students and help them find themselves. For kids who are open to everything available at this school, and driven enough to stick with studying, class work and extra activities, there are exceptional rewards. I am a graduate attending Smith College, with EXCELLENT scholarships because of my teachers at ACPA. To be honest, if I had gone to a different school I would still end up in a college. However, I would have never been awarded the aid I received, and I would not be attending Smith. That is only one success story that ACPA has helped create though. If you have the opportunity, ask the faculty about some of the awesome alumni. Ask about student life, what the teachers do and you'll see what I mean.

Arizona College Prep Academy 1

Posted October 04, 2013
I am confused as to why there are reviews here from 2009 when the ACPA listed as "arizona college Pret Academy" just recently received their charter. They seem to be working the system renaming their school from Amerischool College Prep Academy with the same ACPA. to my knowledge they Amerischool....lost their charter and did public records show they did a poor job with their funding and even have many civial court cases to show this. Now with the same branding and the same people just switch funding and try again at the expense of the students. DO YOUR HOMEWORK PEOPLE

Posted August 09, 2013
Lead by passionate educators who really "get" their student population, ACPA is changing the lives of high school students who need the intimate setting of a smaller setting to thrive. Each student is known by the teachers and accountable for their performace. Enrichment opportunities via community volunteer activities, internships and field trips allow the students to take their learning outside the classroom and put it into action. centrally-located, this school is along major bus routes and easy to get to with nearby amentities. Strong enthusiasm, positive feedback and graduates who prove the school is leaving a legacy in the lives of many.

Posted August 07, 2013
my daughter has attended ACPA since the 2nd semester of her freshman year and she is now a senior. i gave her an opportunity to go to the school of her choice her freshman year and she chose sahuaro. i gave her one semester to prove to me that she would get good grades and she came home with 2 f's. i then enrolled her into a school of my choice and stumbled upon ACPA. im very happy i did. she has made such a huge improvement and now is about to graduate highschool but better yet, wants to attend college. she is now thinking about a future where education is important and i know that ACPA is a big part of that reason. The teachers, principal and even the front office lady are very open and easy to talk to. i have needed to talk to them on several occasions to voice any concerns i had and they were always open and willing to hear anthing i said. as a single mother, i appreciate that because i am glad that i have people on my side that care about my daughter and what she does with her life. i love the dress codes that they inforce, the classroom environments and even the lunch options that they have for my daughter. if you are considering to bring your child to ACPA, YOU SHOULD!

Arizona College Prep Academy
3434 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ  85716
Last modified Arizona College Prep Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arizona College Prep Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top