School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The teachers and staff at this school are very dedicated to the academic achievement of the students. They care for and support each individual child and work with the families to provide much needed support.
May 09, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
Posted May 09, 2016

Develops character:
SCHOOL LEADER
Bonillas is a Character Counts school. I see how these lessons transfer over to our students everyday. They are polite and respectful. When parents and other teachers come to visit at Bonillas, they are amazed at the positive and warm welcoming feeling they have when they are here.
Posted January 06, 2016

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
Bonillas teachers and staff work together weekly on job embedded professional development. Many of our teachers worked through the summer at trainings here at school and ones provided by the district on new resources in Math and Reading. Our teachers understand that collaboration is key to student success and they work in Professional Learning Communities weekly to review student work, analyze data, and plan for lessons.
Posted October 19, 2015

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
As a traditional academics school, Bonillas believes in the importance of nightly homework. This teaches students to take responsibility for their learning and also teaches them that learning doesn't just stop when the bell rings. We want our students to be lifelong learners! Reinforcing skills at home helps support the learning at school.
Posted October 19, 2015

My daughter went to this school 2 years ago and I thought I had made a good decision taking her there because of the strict rules and "involved principal" but I began to realize that this school lacks teaching techniques and as strict as it seemed by daughter got lost at the school for an hour. The front office staff is very rude.

Unfortunately, this school has fallen very low over the past 4 years. They do not teach our children what they need to excell they are m ore worried about AIMS testing. Parents are expected to teach and do homework I am fine with participating in my child's education but it's a lot more than that I am picking up (and have been for the last 2 years) a lot of slack. Classes are over crowded & Each teacher makes up their own rules they expect PARENTS to follow.. lol if I didn't sign it in the school agreement or if it's not in the handbook I for one am not forcing my child to follow it especially when I do not agree with the rule. Some teachers are on real power trips! It's very unfortunate.. Another thing that is VERY serious is the bullying that goes on in every grade; and Bully's are NOT taken seriously and it's awfulI have had to go to the school & speak to them about it multiple times a year. Thank goodness one of my children is going to middle school so it's the last year & my other child is gifted & can handle inadequate teachers.. Find a better magnet school for your child, this has not been a good experience.

My son is in the Magnet program 3rd grade because we were just shy of the school boundary for it. I am so glad I made the switch to this school. It is a tough school, lots of discipline (which also means lots of well behaved kids) lots of homework, lots of parent involvement. My son has improved academically and socially because the rules are enforced, and pride is instilled in the students to suceed. He received a donated dictionary from the Shriners, has to do book reports and read, and the school keeps up to its promise to give each student personalized assistance. The grounds are kept neat, school functions like festivals and skate parties are plentiful. The principal is very involved in this school, and said as much when I met him to discuss enrolling my son there. You can tell he takes pride in his students.

It is the most wonderful place to teach at with our strong back to basic philosophy.

Although there is good structure I feel at times my son comes home overwhelmed from anxiety with all the excessive rules, it's hard for him to find school fun due to all the rules upon rules upon rules and detention for every little thing rather than reinforced learning through explaination and talking.

I think Bonillas is an awesome school. My oldest two have been going since kindergarden and they have excelled. I only had one minor issue with a teacher but she was right about my child. I did apologize to her because during the second semester my son was doing alot better. I think the office staff are awesome ladies who care about the children. Actually everybody does from the principal to the monitors including the bus monitor Cindi. I really enjoy the school. My third will be starting in August at the same school.

Last modified Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.