Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 2

Posted January 08, 2014
My daughter went to this school 2 years ago and I thought I had made a good decision taking her there because of the strict rules and "involved principal" but I began to realize that this school lacks teaching techniques and as strict as it seemed by daughter got lost at the school for an hour. The front office staff is very rude.
2 people found this helpful

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 1

Posted August 14, 2012
Unfortunately, this school has fallen very low over the past 4 years. They do not teach our children what they need to excell they are m ore worried about AIMS testing. Parents are expected to teach and do homework I am fine with participating in my child's education but it's a lot more than that I am picking up (and have been for the last 2 years) a lot of slack. Classes are over crowded & Each teacher makes up their own rules they expect PARENTS to follow.. lol if I didn't sign it in the school agreement or if it's not in the handbook I for one am not forcing my child to follow it especially when I do not agree with the rule. Some teachers are on real power trips! It's very unfortunate.. Another thing that is VERY serious is the bullying that goes on in every grade; and Bully's are NOT taken seriously and it's awfulI have had to go to the school & speak to them about it multiple times a year. Thank goodness one of my children is going to middle school so it's the last year & my other child is gifted & can handle inadequate teachers.. Find a better magnet school for your child, this has not been a good experience.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 02, 2009
My son is in the Magnet program 3rd grade because we were just shy of the school boundary for it. I am so glad I made the switch to this school. It is a tough school, lots of discipline (which also means lots of well behaved kids) lots of homework, lots of parent involvement. My son has improved academically and socially because the rules are enforced, and pride is instilled in the students to suceed. He received a donated dictionary from the Shriners, has to do book reports and read, and the school keeps up to its promise to give each student personalized assistance. The grounds are kept neat, school functions like festivals and skate parties are plentiful. The principal is very involved in this school, and said as much when I met him to discuss enrolling my son there. You can tell he takes pride in his students.

Posted September 14, 2009
It is the most wonderful place to teach at with our strong back to basic philosophy.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 3

Posted April 30, 2009
Although there is good structure I feel at times my son comes home overwhelmed from anxiety with all the excessive rules, it's hard for him to find school fun due to all the rules upon rules upon rules and detention for every little thing rather than reinforced learning through explaination and talking.

Posted April 07, 2009
I think Bonillas is an awesome school. My oldest two have been going since kindergarden and they have excelled. I only had one minor issue with a teacher but she was right about my child. I did apologize to her because during the second semester my son was doing alot better. I think the office staff are awesome ladies who care about the children. Actually everybody does from the principal to the monitors including the bus monitor Cindi. I really enjoy the school. My third will be starting in August at the same school.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 4

Posted January 04, 2007
As a magnet parent, this is my 6th year at Bonillas, I have a 2nd grader and a 5th grader. I am very pleased with the teaching styles and academics used at the school. The principal is hands on and really listens for parents input. I have recommended and will continue to recommend parents send their children to this school. Oh yeah, and they can wear shorts now.

Posted May 06, 2006
We are just finishing our 14th year at Bonillas (two girls K-5 and one son K-1) and have overall been very pleased. In all those years we've only had one bad experience with a teacher (and she's not there any longer). Over the years they have tended to move toward teaching toward the aims test and a bit away from the Basic Curriculum that we loved when our first daughter attended, but I think that is happening throughout the district. We are looking forward to a few more years there as our son progresses.

Posted July 13, 2005
Bonillas was an excellent school when I attended years ago and remains a great school today. My children love their teachers, the location and the activities offered.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 4

Posted April 18, 2005
This is really a great school. Teachers assess each child indiidually and give work based on their abilities. Children are disciplined to the right amount. There is a good music program in place and a very active PTC

4757 E. Winsett Street, Tucson, AZ  85711
Last modified Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top