PK-5 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
I would say thank you to all of the staff, teachers, and parents that work together to make sure our students have the best opportunities in their education. The parents are amazing in their efforts to provide family events such as Movie Nights and fundraisers. I am amazed by the staff and teachers here as well with everything they do for students. They really go above and beyond everyday to ensure all of our students get the "good stuff".
Posted January 06, 2016

Develops honesty:
SCHOOL LEADER
Bonillas is a Character Counts school. I see how these lessons transfer over to our students everyday. They are polite and respectful. When parents and other teachers come to visit at Bonillas, they are amazed at the positive and warm welcoming feeling they have when they are here.
Posted January 06, 2016

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
Bonillas teachers and staff work together weekly on job embedded professional development. Many of our teachers worked through the summer at trainings here at school and ones provided by the district on new resources in Math and Reading. Our teachers understand that collaboration is key to student success and they work in Professional Learning Communities weekly to review student work, analyze data, and plan for lessons.

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
As a traditional academics school, Bonillas believes in the importance of nightly homework. This teaches students to take responsibility for their learning and also teaches them that learning doesn't just stop when the bell rings. We want our students to be lifelong learners! Reinforcing skills at home helps support the learning at school.

Develops grit:
SCHOOL LEADER
The staff here at Bonillas are the most hard working and dedicated staff I have ever seen. They are here hours before school starts and hours afterwards to ensure our students have the highest quality education. This hard work and dedication flows over to our students as well. They experience the value and importance of having a strong education. We talk to our students about how college is not just a dream, but a plan. Students here at Bonillas receive many accelerated learning experiences within the rigorous AZCCRS curriculum.

Develops respect:
SCHOOL LEADER
Bonillas has high expectations for all of its students in character building and academics. You can really see what a difference the character building makes in students that start here in kindergarten all the way through 5th grade. Our 5th grade students are ready for the rigorous program at Dodge Traditional Magnet School. About 75% of our 5th graders take advantage of the Bonillas to Dodge pipeline. Dodge is the only "A" rated middle school in TUSD.

Develops empathy:
SCHOOL LEADER
Our student council supported many great events last year including Jump for Heart. They helped raise $815 dollars for heart disease. Every month students learn important lesson from the 6 character pillars. Students are recognized monthly for exhibiting outstanding character!

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 2

Posted January 08, 2014
My daughter went to this school 2 years ago and I thought I had made a good decision taking her there because of the strict rules and "involved principal" but I began to realize that this school lacks teaching techniques and as strict as it seemed by daughter got lost at the school for an hour. The front office staff is very rude.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 1

Posted August 14, 2012
Unfortunately, this school has fallen very low over the past 4 years. They do not teach our children what they need to excell they are m ore worried about AIMS testing. Parents are expected to teach and do homework I am fine with participating in my child's education but it's a lot more than that I am picking up (and have been for the last 2 years) a lot of slack. Classes are over crowded & Each teacher makes up their own rules they expect PARENTS to follow.. lol if I didn't sign it in the school agreement or if it's not in the handbook I for one am not forcing my child to follow it especially when I do not agree with the rule. Some teachers are on real power trips! It's very unfortunate.. Another thing that is VERY serious is the bullying that goes on in every grade; and Bully's are NOT taken seriously and it's awfulI have had to go to the school & speak to them about it multiple times a year. Thank goodness one of my children is going to middle school so it's the last year & my other child is gifted & can handle inadequate teachers.. Find a better magnet school for your child, this has not been a good experience.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School 5

Posted December 02, 2009
My son is in the Magnet program 3rd grade because we were just shy of the school boundary for it. I am so glad I made the switch to this school. It is a tough school, lots of discipline (which also means lots of well behaved kids) lots of homework, lots of parent involvement. My son has improved academically and socially because the rules are enforced, and pride is instilled in the students to suceed. He received a donated dictionary from the Shriners, has to do book reports and read, and the school keeps up to its promise to give each student personalized assistance. The grounds are kept neat, school functions like festivals and skate parties are plentiful. The principal is very involved in this school, and said as much when I met him to discuss enrolling my son there. You can tell he takes pride in his students.

Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School
4757 E. Winsett Street, Tucson, AZ  85711
Last modified Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bonillas Elementary Basic Curriculum Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top