Booth-Fickett Math/Science Magnet School

Public | K-8 | 1296 students

Our school is best known for unique and rigorous math and science instruction!

Posted January 13, 2014

Team work is what I think of when it comes to Booth-Fickett. This is my grandson's first year at Booth-Fickett and his teacher and the admin. have helped him to feel like he is the only studnet in the school. I can tell you by my past experience of raising sixteen children, I have never felt so relieved and comforted leaving my Grandson in the hands of competent educators. I see a future for my grandson. Anytime there is progress or problems I am notified as soon as possible. What else can I say about Booth-Fickett K-8 Math and Science Magnet School...many, many thanks.

Posted January 13, 2014

I am the proud parent of a 4th and 6th grader, both of whom are proud to call Booth-Fickett "their school." They are both receiveing an excellent education and have increased their math and science skills tremendourly since transferring from a local charter school. In addition, we have noticed a postive increase in their self esteem. The teachers and staff go out of their way to make our entire family feel welcome, appreciated and valued. They often go above and beyond to make sure our children are recieng the help they need to be successful at school We are proud to be part of Booth-Fickett Magnet School.

Posted April 7, 2013

We transferred our 3 children [grades 2, 5, and 8] from a local charter school and have been very happy with the education they are receiving. Their teachers made them feel welcome and helped make the transition a smooth one. The teachers are extremely dedicated and consistently go above and beyond. An example of this is the after school math tutoring. The teachers are always cheerful and helpful and seem to have an endless positive energy even though they have already put in a full day s work before they tutoring sessions begin. Another example is the recent Literacy with meaning family night. We went home with so many great ideas and a furthering sense of the dedication and caring that occurs every day at Booth-Fickett. Our kids love going to this school. Thank you!

Posted April 5, 2013

reviews seem to depend on personal experience but I have had a good one. I have seen great things in the last few years and both my kids love the school, both the booth side and the fickett side. The principals always make time for you and are friendly...teachers have been great. I would recommend it to a friend for their kids.

Posted May 10, 2011

As we are finishing the 2011 school year here at Booth Fickett I would not recommend this school. Booth and Fickett has really gone down hill with their students performance and behavior. There is a huge bullying problem Booth and it has carried over to Fickett. Fights everyday on both campus's. Kids curse like sailors. We have also noticed that the kids are extremely pregidous against white kids. The majority of school is african american and hispanic and white kids get bullied pretty bad. Principal is aware of the severity of the issue, but has not been able to get it under control.

Posted May 3, 2010

Fickett for the most part is a good school. There is a lot of drama and constant fighting and some of the teachers are burnt out. A few teachers really help. The office staff doesn't check for I.D.. In the first 2 weeks of Janurary there was 13 fights, mostly girls and the principal changed suspension rules only to be set back and there is constant talk of who is going to fight who and who can fight. Fight to survive

Posted April 18, 2010

the staff is great and gets things done in a timely manner

Posted May 31, 2009

well i was a student there and that school its awsomee...!! i love everything in there the programs the teachers everything! Booth Fickett #1

Posted May 19, 2009

After several years at Booth-Fickett I continue to be frustrated in the overall quality of the school. Good teachers most of the time, but the administration and office staff are hopeless. No follow-through, no responses to legitimate concerns, only putting out fires and providing lip service quickie responses. I tried to call the office about locked gates at the end of school, and nobody would respond. The principal wouldn't take calls. What is wrong with TUSD that this is allowed to continue.

Posted May 18, 2009

i have two kids that went to booth bfms both of them had ADHD and were in sp class for extra help and because the school was so greate by the end of 7th grade the had got out of the sp class and their ADHD is under controll

Posted February 23, 2009

I attended this middle school and it was great the teachers interact with the students but the students need to ask because the teachers cant read minds. there where some fights but everyone mainly got along.

Posted September 30, 2008

I continue to have issues with their lack of good communication. We never get info home about anything, seems they totally rely upon the kids remembering and telling their parents everything (which most Mid School kids don't do) I've had kids involved with sports after school and we never know for sure when/where even if games are scheduled; i never know if there is a dance or another activity...i check the website regularly and it is never updated. (so why have it?) If I call or write an Administrator i do get a return email usually but it's usually abt things that i shouldn't have to inquire about. I think the teachers are good, but there hasn't been much homework. Would like to see more clubs/after school activities that aren't just sports.

Posted September 23, 2008

this school is truley great i love it there us Plenty of after school activites and there is plenty of stuff for kids to do during the day that keep them buisy

Posted August 26, 2008

I have four children that attend BFMS from K-8th grade. I have to say that the last four years most everyone at the school has been great. The teachers are wonderful, the students are great. You have the ones that create problems but nothing to bad. I have loved all the teachers and all the staff. Everyone is very helpfull no matter what and no matter when. I am sad to see my children leave this school.

Posted August 9, 2008

This school taught me lessons in both acidemic areas and in life skills. I will always remember Booth-Fickett as one of the best learning experiences of my life. I had many great teachers, friends and memories. I was involved in the GATE Future Cities competition where I was taught the importance of time management, communication and cooperation, trust, and detication. I personally thank many teachers in helping me through rough times, even if this help was unintentional. the enviroment is warm and caring, with this enviroment created by teachers who truly care and students who take the time to pay attention. I thank a certain math 7th/8th grade math teacher who prepared me for high school colledge and life after education all in the matter of two years. I also thank a teacher who taught MESA, reading/language arts and science. I thank all of my teachers for everything.

Posted August 4, 2008

My daughter went to this school last year and i was so excited because i had heard so many good things. I just wish I would have pulled her out sooner then letting her finish the grade. The communication between parents and teachers was terrable. I would e-mail and never hear back from any teachers. I would call and never hear back from anyone. I set up parent teacher meetings and ll I would hear is how bad my child was and thay she just doesent try and maybe she isnt smart enough, everything was always her, her, her. They never gave any thought to maybe it was the teaching methods, or maybe the way they done force disclipine in the classrooms and allow the kids to do as they please. I will never advise anyone to send your kid!

Posted March 8, 2008

I went to Fickett throughout my middle school career and I loved it. The majority of my teachers were friendly and fair. We have a lot of extra curricular activities like choir and cheer. We also have really good sports teams. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 7, 2008

The office staff is rude an uncaring. There is no supervision where needed and the one monitor they have for Booth leaves much to be desired. The principal is always unavailable. This is the fourth and last year my child will be attending this school.

Posted January 12, 2008

I think this school is very well- taught. It is a very good school and it teaches me alot of things.

Posted October 23, 2007

My son is in 3rd grade and we are lucky that he has a really good teacher. We have had a few good teachers and one really bad teacher. The office staff is unfriendly and seems to be put out anytime you need them to do their job. The Principal is joke. She is not involved and always seems to be off site for a meeting or class. The Vice-Principals can't make a decision without her. The is no leadership at the school and very little supervision where it is needed. I have no idea what the staff does all day long since they can't be working. Information is never sent home in a timely manor if at all.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:55 am
School end time
  • 3:50 am
  • Michael Konrad
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Transportation for all Magnet
  • Access to sports fields
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom