PK-5 & Ungraded

Corbett Elementary School 1

Posted November 18, 2009

Corbett Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Corbett has wonderful teachers that care about the success of the children. it is a highly performing school. It offers free meals for the under privilidged in the summertime. It is also a safe haven for homeless children to go to school. The library is nationally recognized and they are OMA Gold.

Posted June 11, 2008
I had 2 kids at Corbett, my son was in kinder and his teacher was great. He learned more than my daughter did in kinder! My daughter's teacher this past year was lacking. The majority of the year she brought home 1st. grade homework, is was in 2nd. grade! TUSD as a district has a lot of issues that need to be dealt with, in the regular class they can only go as far as the weakest student. Which means, if there's a child in the class that doesn't speak english or just doesn't get it, the whole class suffers. I think the majority of the teachers and staff are excellent!

Posted May 27, 2008

Posted March 31, 2008

Posted March 12, 2008
I have children in the GATE and regular programs and they are both fantastic. Excellent OMA program with 11 artists, award winning library (and librarian), very safe environment even though the neighborhood is a bit rough.

Corbett Elementary School 3

Posted May 29, 2007
My son just finished his run at Corbett, and I feel that in general it was an OK school. The music and arts programs were spectacular, and his primary teacher, this year, was wondeful. However I found that some teachers were inexpirrienced in dealing with 'gifted' students. Most teachers expected my son to slow down and dumb himself down to match the majority of the classroom. This seriously affected my childs outlook on schol. Also I found the disciplinary actions of the administration staff to be quite lax.

Posted February 04, 2007
- a former student
I have graduated from Corbett and attended the school for kindergarten-5th grade and i think the school was okay. I was in the GATE program and i think that the GATE teachers were MUCH more strict than the regular teachers. It is great that Corbett has a GATE program but the regular classes were not doing so well. The library was great and we got an award for being the best library, and the librarians are awesome. All of my teachers were great but a couple of the others were way too easy on their kids. I think that the principals were great but the school always seemed to be in debt.

Posted May 24, 2006
Corbett would benefit from a more rigorous curriculum, but it seems no worse (or better) than most other TUSD schools. The school community is very friendly and close knit. Parents are kept well-informed of their child's progress and events at the school. The teachers (for the most part) are friendly and caring, but some seem to not challenge the children enough. This is typical of most public schools and, again, Corbett seems no worse than the others I've seen. Overall, a pleasant environment.

Posted May 24, 2006
I have two sons attending Corbett - one in the GATE program and one in a 'regular' classroom. The GATE program's self-contained classrooms are wonderful. My son is challenged and exposed to a variety of academic experiences he otherwise would have no access to. The GATE teachers are wonderful (overall) and we're very happy with the entire program. My younger son is in a typical classroom and while the teacher is supportive and pleasant, I do with he was being challenged more. It sometimes seems the curriculum is just too easy. I wish there were more opportunities for non-GATE children to experience a more varied and challenging curriculum. The enviornment is friendly and the school community is welcoming and close-knit. There are after-school academic (chess, math club, etc) and sports programs as well as Project Shine, for children whose parents are still at work after school. Overall, a decent choice.

Corbett Elementary School