Coronado K-8 School

Public | K-8 | 1025 students

Posted August 8, 2013

Coronado is a great school to be a part of! I love working with the students, staff and parents that are a part of the Coronado family. We are always trying to improve individually, within teams, and as a whole school. Students and staff alike take pride in our beautiful campus. I would not want to teach at any other school!

Posted August 8, 2013

I am a teacher at Coronado K-8 and am proud to work with such a dedicated staff and administration. Any child can thrive at Coronado with the many clubs, classes, and activities we offer. I can't think of another place where your child can be involved with Odyssey of the Mind, Chorus, Orchestra, Band, Common Core academics, sports, Mathcounts, martial arts, drama, and science trips to Grand Canyon and Catalina Island all under one roof. No other school in this area can offer all that in a top-notch public school. Both of my children went through Coronado and I could not be more pleased with their education and opportunities.

Posted August 8, 2013

Coronado is a fabulous school! Not only does it balance feeds from a rural, incorporated area of our county, but it also feeds from a 'more affluent' suburb of NW Tucson/Oro Valley. The beauty is that you do not see these differences here. It is a central part of the community, involving and engaging parents and their families - a welcome environment where learning is a high priority. Learning isn't just about books, but experiences also - and several enrichment opportuntiies are provided, especially in the musical area. Reading the "one star" comment below, I find in amazement - sure, situations happen - but the focus is on the community, and I am actively involved as a parent, and do not see the environment described in that complaint. One person's incident is not a whole climate. Coronado is not just adequately preparing my child for a strong, well-rounded academic future - they are doing this in spades! When I speak with firends who's children have moved on to high school, I repeatedly hear that Coronado students are clearly identifyable by their readiness/preparation to continue the academic rigors that high school can offer.

Posted August 8, 2013

Today was outstanding, and it was the first day of school. I feel really privileged to be a teacher at this school. Together, both students and teachers, we are brilliant!

Posted August 8, 2013

Coronado is an amazing school! The teachers are wonderful and the grounds crews and janitorial staff do an incredible job. The campus is really nice and always very clean. Coronado has excellent opportunities for kids to excell in sports and our athletic teams are always among the best in the city. Coronado offers great elective courses such as physical education, spanish, technology, art, music, life skills, band, choir, etc... Coronado has a wonderful principal and assistant principals who bring out the best in its hard working teaching staff. Our AIMS scores are always very high and this is a very strong school academically. Students and parents love Coronado and you will too.

Posted May 29, 2013

Been a week since school ended... I am still thinking about the fabulous 6th grade awards ceremony. You couldn't help but smile, watching so many proud students hear their names called for deserved recognition. You could sense the love and commitment of the 6th grade teachers, as they shared stories of their students' successes. There were hugs, tears, and cheers. It all ended with a teacher playing the guitar and some of the students singing a song that they created about their 6th grade experience. I felt very proud to be a parent of a Cougar and very happy for the year-gone-by that my son experienced.

Posted May 29, 2013

Unacceptable is the first word I will use to describe this subpar school. I see the students who review this school love the place, this is because they rule this place. The school is the much like a detention center for students who are well on their way to failure. They breed bullies here and the administration only slaps the on the wrists. I pulled my child out before the ink could dry on the registration form. Amphitheater should be ashamed of this school, a place where children at their most impressionable age are taught immorality, and hate. If your considering this school, think twice. I can't think of a single nice word to say about this place. If I could give it zero stars I would.

Posted April 6, 2013

Coronado was the best school I'v ever attended I went to private Catholic school for elementary at Immaculate Heart and part of sixth grade at St. Elizabeth's but I hated it. The tuition was thousands of dollars but it sucked. When I came to Coronado I was three years behind in reading, two in science, 5 in math, and four in history. Now after one year of work at Coronado I am much happier, I am no longer bullied like at the private schools, I have A's and B's, I take Humanities Reading and American History. I also take lots of electives, Economics/Civics, Algabra II, Ecology. I am above grade level in all of my classes all thanks to Coronado. The teachers are great! They also give you so many learning options; you get to make your own schedule, and do things your way but still are monitored. You can go do what you want on breaks and lunch. At lunch you can eat outside in the front of the school, in the courtyard, the cafeteria, or if you need help from a teacher in their classroom so they can help you. You also on free time can hang out, go to the library to study, read, use the computer or anything else. The computer labs are also available for school projects or essays. COUGARS!

Posted September 27, 2012

My sons have had wonderful experiences at Coronado K-8. Where else wrere they going to learn to play trumpet and trombone, be involved in multiple sports from track to basketball, take high school credit math classes, go to Disneyland with his fellow National Honor Society and Advanced Band classmates, be among the kids with the highest science scores in the district, be involved in Odessey of the Mind, and be challenged by all thier teachers, ALL UNDER ONE ROOF? The answer: No where! Coroando has it all. You want your kids to attend Coronado. I'm very thankful for what Coronado has to offer my kids.

Posted September 27, 2012

I have had kids at Coronado K-8 school for the last 17 years, grades k-8. I have found the teachers to be excellent at all levels. I have also found the administrators to be excellent. In all areas I have found the staff at Coronado to be very involved and concerned about their students, proactive in working on problems, and innovative in the classrooms. I feel that Coronado has consistently grown and developed year by year.

Posted September 26, 2012

I have three children at Coronado. We open enrolled our children in Coronado and make the drive from Oracle. My twins attended another school for Kindergarten. In that school, my twins did not have PE, art or music. They get to enjoy all three of these special classes. This is the second year for my twins to be at Coronado and my youngest is in Kindergarten. They look forward to coming to school everyday!

Posted September 25, 2012

I have worked at Coronado for nearly 15 years. I've considered moving to other schools, but I just love the community at Coronado. I will be bringing my daughter to Coronado with me next year for kindergarten. I love the positive energy and the high expectations we have for our students.

Posted September 25, 2012

I really enjoy working here at Coronado. I came from a different state where I taught at a magnet school and the students were selected by lottery. There was always a waiting list to get in. When I joined the Coronado family I told myself that I would never find another school like that. I was wrong. I would put these Coronado students, parents, and teachers up against that magnet school any day. The teachers here are very dedicated to the students and the administration places the highest priority on the students by listening to and collaborating with students, parents and teachers. It is a great community to be in.

Posted September 25, 2012

As a parent who has had 3 children attend Coronado K-8, I would like to say that the education my children have recieve has been outstanding. Coronado is an Excelling school that strives to give our children a quality education. The teachers are caring and supportive of the diversity of the students. I could not have asked for a better place for my children to receive their education.

Posted September 25, 2012

I have been enthusiastically teaching at Coronado K-8 School since the 1995-96 school year. I have taught both first and third grade. I live in the community of Catalina by choice and love where I live and teach. My classroom and the school are definitely my home away from home. My colleagues and I collaborate on all things school-related and are better teachers because of our shared sense of belonging and involvement. The teachers at Coronado work late into the evenings and on the weekends, both in their classrooms and at home, to ensure that our students receive the best education possible. The support staff and administrators do what is best for students too. I made a conscious decison to remain teaching at Coronado when nearby new Amphi school opened in the past. The parents of our students are caring and supportive. The students are eager to learn and happy to be at school. I love coming to work every day! I feel a sense of pride, knowing that I teach at Coronado. I imagine myself retiring from this school someday and then coming back to volunteer.

Posted September 24, 2012

This school has an excellent band program that has benefited both of my children. There are many teachers at Coronado who are devoted to their students!

Posted September 24, 2012

I LOVE Coronado! This is the best school I have worked at. The teachers are dedicated to the academic and social growth of all the students. We have excellent programs across the grades. This year has started with a super positive out-look, and our principal truly values teacher, student, and parent input. Coronado is a community. :)

Posted September 24, 2012

I have been waiting for my daughter to turn 5 to send her to Coronado! This is the only school we considered, and we intend to have her here through 8th grade. The teachers, staff, administration, parents, and students are wonderful! She loves her teacher and new friends; she wakes up early everyday bouncing with excitement to get to school!

Posted June 3, 2012

Awful.... kids run the school! Has went downhill over the last couple years, We miss the old principal

Posted January 12, 2012

This school has excellent teachers, but a horrible new principal. Unfortuantely, since the principal-ship has changed, the teachers will too. I fear it will continue to go down-hill. Teachers are expected to make their classrooms feel like "Disney Land" instead of focusing academics and the state requirements for students. Teachers are also bullied, threatened, and treated like children by the principal. It is not a great place to work anymore.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options