Coronado K-8 School

Public | K-8 | 1025 students

Posted April 6, 2013

Coronado was the best school I'v ever attended I went to private Catholic school for elementary at Immaculate Heart and part of sixth grade at St. Elizabeth's but I hated it. The tuition was thousands of dollars but it sucked. When I came to Coronado I was three years behind in reading, two in science, 5 in math, and four in history. Now after one year of work at Coronado I am much happier, I am no longer bullied like at the private schools, I have A's and B's, I take Humanities Reading and American History. I also take lots of electives, Economics/Civics, Algabra II, Ecology. I am above grade level in all of my classes all thanks to Coronado. The teachers are great! They also give you so many learning options; you get to make your own schedule, and do things your way but still are monitored. You can go do what you want on breaks and lunch. At lunch you can eat outside in the front of the school, in the courtyard, the cafeteria, or if you need help from a teacher in their classroom so they can help you. You also on free time can hang out, go to the library to study, read, use the computer or anything else. The computer labs are also available for school projects or essays. COUGARS!

Posted February 25, 2013

Coronado K-8 School is an educational foundation committed to high academic standards and even higher character standards. Students, Teachers, Administration and Parents work together to create a culture of caring. All members of the Coronado family work together to make sure all people find a place at Coronado. Students feel safe and know that Administration, Teachers and Staff are willing to work with them whenever necessary. The open door policy of all people on Coronado s campus allows for numerous opportunities to gain assistance when necessary. Teachers and Administration work together to create student centered classrooms with rigor, relevance and data driven instruction to keep students engaged and working towards the high academic expectations set for all students on Coronado s campus. Coronado K-8 school offers, sports year round, fine arts (choir, band, orchestra and percussion), NJHS (National Junior Honor Society), Student Council, community service, REACH/GATE and family building activities throughout the year. Coronado K-8 s campus is a hub for educational and character building experience for students K-8. Once a Cougar, Always a Coronado Cougar!

Posted September 27, 2012

My sons have had wonderful experiences at Coronado K-8. Where else wrere they going to learn to play trumpet and trombone, be involved in multiple sports from track to basketball, take high school credit math classes, go to Disneyland with his fellow National Honor Society and Advanced Band classmates, be among the kids with the highest science scores in the district, be involved in Odessey of the Mind, and be challenged by all thier teachers, ALL UNDER ONE ROOF? The answer: No where! Coroando has it all. You want your kids to attend Coronado. I'm very thankful for what Coronado has to offer my kids.

Posted September 27, 2012

I have had kids at Coronado K-8 school for the last 17 years, grades k-8. I have found the teachers to be excellent at all levels. I have also found the administrators to be excellent. In all areas I have found the staff at Coronado to be very involved and concerned about their students, proactive in working on problems, and innovative in the classrooms. I feel that Coronado has consistently grown and developed year by year.

Posted September 26, 2012

I have three children at Coronado. We open enrolled our children in Coronado and make the drive from Oracle. My twins attended another school for Kindergarten. In that school, my twins did not have PE, art or music. They get to enjoy all three of these special classes. This is the second year for my twins to be at Coronado and my youngest is in Kindergarten. They look forward to coming to school everyday!

Posted September 25, 2012

I have worked at Coronado for nearly 15 years. I've considered moving to other schools, but I just love the community at Coronado. I will be bringing my daughter to Coronado with me next year for kindergarten. I love the positive energy and the high expectations we have for our students.

Posted September 25, 2012

I really enjoy working here at Coronado. I came from a different state where I taught at a magnet school and the students were selected by lottery. There was always a waiting list to get in. When I joined the Coronado family I told myself that I would never find another school like that. I was wrong. I would put these Coronado students, parents, and teachers up against that magnet school any day. The teachers here are very dedicated to the students and the administration places the highest priority on the students by listening to and collaborating with students, parents and teachers. It is a great community to be in.

Posted September 25, 2012

As a parent who has had 3 children attend Coronado K-8, I would like to say that the education my children have recieve has been outstanding. Coronado is an Excelling school that strives to give our children a quality education. The teachers are caring and supportive of the diversity of the students. I could not have asked for a better place for my children to receive their education.

Posted September 25, 2012

I have been enthusiastically teaching at Coronado K-8 School since the 1995-96 school year. I have taught both first and third grade. I live in the community of Catalina by choice and love where I live and teach. My classroom and the school are definitely my home away from home. My colleagues and I collaborate on all things school-related and are better teachers because of our shared sense of belonging and involvement. The teachers at Coronado work late into the evenings and on the weekends, both in their classrooms and at home, to ensure that our students receive the best education possible. The support staff and administrators do what is best for students too. I made a conscious decison to remain teaching at Coronado when nearby new Amphi school opened in the past. The parents of our students are caring and supportive. The students are eager to learn and happy to be at school. I love coming to work every day! I feel a sense of pride, knowing that I teach at Coronado. I imagine myself retiring from this school someday and then coming back to volunteer.

Posted September 24, 2012

This school has an excellent band program that has benefited both of my children. There are many teachers at Coronado who are devoted to their students!

Posted September 24, 2012

I LOVE Coronado! This is the best school I have worked at. The teachers are dedicated to the academic and social growth of all the students. We have excellent programs across the grades. This year has started with a super positive out-look, and our principal truly values teacher, student, and parent input. Coronado is a community. :)

Posted September 24, 2012

I have been waiting for my daughter to turn 5 to send her to Coronado! This is the only school we considered, and we intend to have her here through 8th grade. The teachers, staff, administration, parents, and students are wonderful! She loves her teacher and new friends; she wakes up early everyday bouncing with excitement to get to school!

Posted June 3, 2012

Awful.... kids run the school! Has went downhill over the last couple years, We miss the old principal

Posted January 12, 2012

This school has excellent teachers, but a horrible new principal. Unfortuantely, since the principal-ship has changed, the teachers will too. I fear it will continue to go down-hill. Teachers are expected to make their classrooms feel like "Disney Land" instead of focusing academics and the state requirements for students. Teachers are also bullied, threatened, and treated like children by the principal. It is not a great place to work anymore.

Posted September 22, 2010

This school's quality has fallen fast. The extra-curriculars were cut, there is an increased gang/vandalism presence, and the teachers are having their pay cut. The principal has lost control. I had to pull my kids out in favor of private school which is sad because it used to be a good school with quality teachers. There is no parent involvement and I think the principal likes it that way. The PTO disbanded in 2007.

Posted July 23, 2008

Coronado K-8, like all other school has its ups and downs. I went to this school since kindergarden up until I was promoted from 8th grade. The school has a lot of good teachers and some are not that good. The advanced classes provided are for reading, social studies, writing, and math. Overall its a very good school. The fine arts program has taken a few hits seeing as we've only had a band and orchestra director no more than 2 years. I think that people are critisizing the directors more than the students themselves. Having helped with the bands its difficult to control the not so willing kids, of course Coronado has produced many great talents from fine arts to athletics. The school having been around for a while is closely knit and its a very comfortable place to go to school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 26, 2008

Coronado has a lot of good teachers, and some not so good. The music program has taken a drastic dive over the past year with a new less experienced band instructor. The principal has done a good job cleaning up the school from what it was a few years back and has a firm handle on discipline.

Posted March 15, 2008

This school 'bullies' special education children to the point that their parents pull them out. Many special needs children that belong in this area have been forced to other schools. This school does not want special needs children and their constant excuse is 'we do not have the resources for these children.' My son went to kindergarten and the summer school program 4 year later. I do not recommend this school for special needs children - and it is a clear case of discrimination!

Posted March 14, 2008

There are a number of excellent teachers in this school, but also some mediocre ones. Not all teachers on the honors track are good, forcing you to choose between good teacher or higher-level class. If your child is musically inclined, you may wish to go elsewhere: this school changed band teachers and the band program went from great to poor.

Posted October 24, 2007

I went to this school over ten years ago and wanted to say to the comment from a parent that this school has always been safe, And never did any of the faculty threaten to put us in doc. We as kids never even thought about that place being there. And yes there are some (wide economic backgrounds) as he put it, meaning im sure there are some poor kids living close so there may be trouble. Not true, we all just want to better our selves. This school is safe, My little bro goes there and has done very well!!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options