Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The leadership at this school is unresponsive, the teachers seem miserable, the student do not get the support or resources they need and are unengaged as a result. TUSD needs to be split apart into smaller districts so that there is better oversight and management and the students are not forgotten in the politics. The bottom line at this point is that Doolen is not a safe place for your children. Kids run the school not the adults, bullying eachother, attacking eachother with shanks made and school and lighting eachother on fire with mini bombs made at school. Beware, and keep your child safe by staying away from this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers are undersupported and under valued at this school and it shows in their teaching. The classrooms are out of control as is the campus and it shows in the student's tests scores and grades. TUSD needs to clean house at the leadership level, not only at this school but at 1010 as a whole. This school and TUSD are broken beyond repair.

Amount of homework: no rating

Everything is inconsistent at this school including the rate of homework. Some teachers dont seem to teach, they just give homework while others are busy texting in class and don't assign anything.

I am a parent of an eighth grader in Doolen GATE. If your child tests into GATE, visit some classes at Doolen. I think you will like what you see, and your child will likely enjoy their middle school experience. The GATE program is the best option within TUSD.

First of all, I have one child in the GATE program at the school, and have no experience with special education or general ed students or classes there. The GATE program is fantastic and is exactly what we felt our child needed for middle school. In 6th grade, the students had block scheduling, with 2 hours at a time for instruction. This made for a much easier transition year and students got to delve into project-based learning in depth. The 7th/8th grade GATE math and science teachers are academically rigorous and pushed students to be ready for UHS. The counselor is simply superb and most school communications come from her. There's been a lot of turnover of some teachers, due to retirements and changes in principals (which is kind of frequent for a middle school). We've been in TUSD magnet and gen ed schools in the past, and firmly believe the GATE program is the only way to go for middle school.

Sorry I meant to put 1star or not any I am the parent who just posted about my autistic child . They should be ashamed about they behavior . Do not sen your child there if they are in a SPEC . ED class

I don't have a lot of great things to say about this school. I admit my daughter can be dramatic and strange but she gets picked on by the students enough, the teachers don't have to join in. We have gone to the school on 3 separate occasions to meet with staff and they never are available or follow up. My daughter does have a few teachers she really likes and some really good friends but if we have any options she will not be returning for 7th grade.

I have problems with this school and they way the handle my child and not in a good way :( !

I have not really been impressed with the 7th or 8th gate teachers. The really do not seem to care about the students. They do not keep up on grades, the lose students work that has been turned in. They are either over worked, unorganized or they just don't care. Which is sad, because they have bright students that work hard. The 6th grade gate teachers that my child had were so much better, but they have since left the school. As for the rest of the administration, there are not much better. There is bullying going on all the time and nothing seems to be taken care of. Students get their personal belongings stolen and the school does nothing about it. We haven't moved our child out of the school because we haven't heard anything better about other schools in the district. So we have had our child study martial arts in order to protect themselves.

I have issue with this school and how they handle bullying. My child is bullied almost daily yet no one really deals with it. Even when there is physical bullying no one gets in trouble or suspended like district policy says they should. I am currently looking at removing my child before the next school year because I dont want her tortured any longer by horrible kids and a staff that just doesnt care.

Last modified Doolen Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.