PK-6 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 16, 2015
Dr. Celaya, the principle, has been an excellent leader in this school. He has made sound decisions during really difficult budget cuts and is personally involved with the students including coaching teams. He is hands on. I receive a message on my phone or email regularly about news and updates. Also want to thank Miss Flores which was a wonderful teacher for our son a few years ago.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 16, 2015
Not only are the teachers certified, they are also trained in Montessori. That means more education than your average TUSD teacher, a major plus!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 16, 2015
It is a montessori school...they don't teach through homework in the earlier years. But the reading expectation is strong, which we loved.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted December 16, 2015
I don't know if this is the most competitive school...I think it is more about being passionate and excited about the world, rather than a toughness.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 16, 2015
This cool mission is about personal responsibility an fairness. Montessori is not about memorizing behavior, but growth through real life experience. They have a strong anti bully program too, not that I know of any reason that they would have it. I think of the place as a family.

Drachman Primary Magnet School 1

Posted April 28, 2014
Greatschools.org has a great article that parents should keep in mind when enrolling at this school, or most TUSD schools, for that matter. http://www.greatschools.org/school-choice/7282-melting-pot-diversity-at-schools.gs

Posted April 03, 2013
With 3 grandchildren attending Drachman, we have been very pleased. The 6th grade teacher has been a gift for my grandson in that grade who has learning difficulties. Additionally the principal has been a super role model for the 3 boys who do not have a father in the home.

Posted May 15, 2012
Some kids don't belong in Montessori. This school is amazing, and please discard the negative reviews. Our first son went to this school all years, and is excelling in middle school in one of the hardest schools in the district. He still is in touch with all of his teachers from Drachman. It will always be home for him. We took our second child out in first grade, thinking it would be easier for him to go to a private school where his father teaches (logistics), but after a few months, we re-enrolled him in Drachman. He missed it so much, and the education and programming is holistic and far superior to most programs. I love that there is diversity in this school as well. The leadership is wonderful, we get regular emails from the principle and we are involved because they encourage that there. It is one of the best schools in Tucson, period. They have their priorities straight. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Posted September 15, 2011
My son is attending kindergarten at Drachman and we love it. They offer open enrollment year-round for all grades; no waiting until next school semester if you a school right away. Drachman has a grant that allows them to offer FREE after school program to ALL students regardless of income until 5pm; even on Wednesday. The school staff are friendly and eager to assist parents in any way they can. And did I mention Drachman has a Montessori Consultant (Trainer) on site to support teachers and staff to maintain the highest Montessori standards and methods. I shopped around Tucson for traditional and private schools that offered the best academic and social resources; none came close to the quality programs Drachman offers it students. I would highly recommend parents visit this school to see all the programs Drachman has to offer their students and families. There is so much more that I don't have the room in this review to share about. It is the only public Montessori school of it's kind in the nation. I am impressed by Drachman Elementary and think prospective students and their parents will be too. My son loves his school because he is learning and retaining new concepts daily.

Drachman Primary Magnet School 1

Posted October 15, 2010
If I could give this school zero stars I would. I went to this school for 2 horrible years. The teachers were OK and yes it did have a nice library as others have mentioned but I was bullied DAILY and no the principal didn't do a thing about it. I used to fake sick all the time so that my mom would come pick me up. Thank God we moved. I love my new school where kids really are accepting of one another no matter what they look like and the teachers and principal don't put up with bullies.

1085 S. Tenth Ave., Tucson, AZ  85701
Last modified Drachman Primary Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Drachman Primary Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top