Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Not only are the teachers certified, they are also trained in Montessori. That means more education than your average TUSD teacher, a major plus!

Amount of homework: Agree

It is a montessori school...they don't teach through homework in the earlier years. But the reading expectation is strong, which we loved.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This cool mission is about personal responsibility an fairness. Montessori is not about memorizing behavior, but growth through real life experience. They have a strong anti bully program too, not that I know of any reason that they would have it. I think of the place as a family.

Greatschools.org has a great article that parents should keep in mind when enrolling at this school, or most TUSD schools, for that matter. http://www.greatschools.org/school-choice/7282-melting-pot-diversity-at-schools.gs

With 3 grandchildren attending Drachman, we have been very pleased. The 6th grade teacher has been a gift for my grandson in that grade who has learning difficulties. Additionally the principal has been a super role model for the 3 boys who do not have a father in the home.

Some kids don't belong in Montessori. This school is amazing, and please discard the negative reviews. Our first son went to this school all years, and is excelling in middle school in one of the hardest schools in the district. He still is in touch with all of his teachers from Drachman. It will always be home for him. We took our second child out in first grade, thinking it would be easier for him to go to a private school where his father teaches (logistics), but after a few months, we re-enrolled him in Drachman. He missed it so much, and the education and programming is holistic and far superior to most programs. I love that there is diversity in this school as well. The leadership is wonderful, we get regular emails from the principle and we are involved because they encourage that there. It is one of the best schools in Tucson, period. They have their priorities straight. Couldn't recommend it enough.

My son is attending kindergarten at Drachman and we love it. They offer open enrollment year-round for all grades; no waiting until next school semester if you a school right away. Drachman has a grant that allows them to offer FREE after school program to ALL students regardless of income until 5pm; even on Wednesday. The school staff are friendly and eager to assist parents in any way they can. And did I mention Drachman has a Montessori Consultant (Trainer) on site to support teachers and staff to maintain the highest Montessori standards and methods. I shopped around Tucson for traditional and private schools that offered the best academic and social resources; none came close to the quality programs Drachman offers it students. I would highly recommend parents visit this school to see all the programs Drachman has to offer their students and families. There is so much more that I don't have the room in this review to share about. It is the only public Montessori school of it's kind in the nation. I am impressed by Drachman Elementary and think prospective students and their parents will be too. My son loves his school because he is learning and retaining new concepts daily.

If I could give this school zero stars I would. I went to this school for 2 horrible years. The teachers were OK and yes it did have a nice library as others have mentioned but I was bullied DAILY and no the principal didn't do a thing about it. I used to fake sick all the time so that my mom would come pick me up. Thank God we moved. I love my new school where kids really are accepting of one another no matter what they look like and the teachers and principal don't put up with bullies.

I would love to give this school a better rating, because it truly does have some fabulous teachers. Unfortunately, Drachman's leadership is poor. The school's growth was overly ambitious and poorly executed - Montessori is an excellent learning format for many children, but throwing a child who has not been brought up in a Montessori system is setting that child up for failure (evident in the plummeting test scores that the school has experienced, going from a once highly performing school to a failing one). There is supposedly a "no tolerance" policy when it comes to bullying, but my child was bullied numerous times, both verbally and physically, yet the offending children were never reprimanded. Caucasian children will have a tough time at this school (and even more so at the after school program across the street, Santa Rosa) - racism against white children is rampant. I pulled my children out.

Great programs. Dedicated staff. The specialized Montessori curriculum truly motivates the students to excel.

Last modified Drachman Primary Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.