Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

We love Gale! Before my daughter started Kindergarten, I meticulously researched 15 schools (a bit excessive, maybe) and toured my top 5 schools. I picked Gale because of: the teachers, the active parental involvement, and the overall "feel" of the school. Gale is a very caring and nurturing community. Gale participates in the Ben's Bells Be Kind program, which teaches children many positive character-building traits. This program is wonderful. Overall, I am impressed by the high quality, holistic, well-rounded education my daughter has received at Gale.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I am impressed by everything the teachers do at Gale! Not only do they teach the curriculum (and do it very well!), but they're also good at developing character in children. They are very involved and participate in school fundraisers and activities.

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughter is in kindergarten, so I can only speak for that grade. She receives a packet of around 4 pages to complete over the course of a week, plus a reading log (students are encouraged to read at least 10 minutes per day). This works out to 5-10 minutes of homework per day (plus reading), which I think is pretty developmentally appropriate. I was resistant to homework in Kindergarten, but my daughter actually loves doing activity pages, so I'm ok with it.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Yes, absolutely! There is a strong focus on the Ben's Bells Be Kind program, which teaches many positive character-building traits. Each week the entire school focuses on a specific "Tiger Trait" (including honesty, integrity, and fairness, among others). The school counselor visits the classrooms to teach a lesson and read a story about that week's trait. The teachers select a student from each class to receive the "Kindness Coin" that week. Every Friday they have a school-wide assembly in which that weeks' winners are recognized and are given a certificate (which states what the student did that embodies that weeks' Tiger Trait). Furthermore, every day on morning announcements they recognize someone from the school (a teacher, volunteer, support staff, etc) who demonstrated a Tiger Trait.

Develops character: Agree

I believe the principal showed this at all times. Not always so in the teachers.

A few not so good teachers can make it a bad experience for a lifetime for a child. I understand there are situations that are difficult but the teachers should be trained to handle them so as not to affect other students as well. Do you use corporal punishment or teaching and training our children? Do you treat the child as you would like to be treated? Respect is earned and teachers are included...not just the child. Yelling and degrading a child is not a manner of teaching and redirecting....tell them how they may have handled a situation and not just call a name such as "tattle-tale", etc. Name calling even for teachers is not acceptable! Now he or she is afraid to talk about a bullying situation.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Unfortunately too many teachers have a punishment, embarrassment, negative attitude towards many students. I experienced this on a field trip and directly from some teachers. I don't understand that this is about redirecting and positive teaching! Treat the children in a pleasant manner as you expect to be treated. Don't be demeaning! Respect gains respect including to the parents. With M. Ingle gone I choose to take my child out of this school. She was so helpful, always had time and spoke to the children in a teaching and positive manner!

We have attended Gale since kindergarten and my child is in 3rd grade. it has had its up and downs this year with principal change, fundraisers changed, etc. My daughter is happy for the most part but the lack of communication, notice given, and follow up frustrates me. It has slowly gotten better throughout the year but there is still progress to be made. Most of the teachers are wonderful for the lack of resources they have. We have had great teachers over the years, this year was a bit of a let down. The PTC board seems to be their own click, have their own agenda and does not do what benefits the school as a whole, just the select amount of them. I was told by one board member, if htey are the ones doing the volunteering, then it should be what is best for them, "as they do the most for the school". Many parents, because of the mentality of this board, have chosen to not be active with events and fundraisers, but just as volunteers in class rooms and field trips. The overall attitude of the school has changed, not for the better. This is our home school and we will stick with it, but hoping for positive changes to come!

My grandson goes to pre- school at Gale. I was impressed with the new student/parent orientation and how attention there was. My grandson looks forward to school each day and is proud of his take home work. He was developmently behind but I see great strides and improvments. He still has a way to go but I confident he'll be ready for what lies ahead.

hello I am a student who goes to gale the school has fallen apart art will be ending soon I don't know why there really are no sports after school activities or clubs that bothers me also the learning everything we have has been review from 4th grade there really is no bullying expect a few girls who think they popular and flirt around boys I like the new princable shes pretty nice but its just sad I was here since 1st grade and everything has fallen apart since our old princable left its very upsetting :(

Last modified Gale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.