Hermosa Montessori Charter School

Charter | K-8

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $295,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted August 31, 2009

Charter Schools are just WONDERFUL because they give Arizona parents a choice. I chose Hermosa because they demand respect and teach children to THINK not just learn. Yes, I have had to pay alot of money for sports and private lessons of various sorts but I know and knew this. I send my children to school to get an education and they do get one at Hermosa. I also love the small environment and am so glad I get this for FREE.

Posted August 29, 2009

Our children have been students at Hermosa Montessori Charter School for years. They love it, and it's a great family learning enviroment. Our children have exceeded our expectatations, academically and socially. Hermosa's commitment to the true Montessori method, plus the amazing care, intelligence, and sensitivity shown by teachers, administrators, and other staff has helped and motivated our children dramatically. As a result, Hermosa has inspired our regular volunteer involvement and financial contributions. We know the school and principal have won awards. It's easy to see why. The children learn very well, they are happy kids, and they care about people. Character and peace are very important to us and Hermosa teaches these very well. The school needs a high school and we believe that will happen. Still, Hermosa has Art, Music, PE, Choir, field trips, and spacious beautiful grounds with natural trails. We highly recommend Hermosa. It's excellent!

Posted August 27, 2009

Once you have left this school you realize how much your child was missing in this limited environment.

Posted June 4, 2009

I went to Hermosa for elementary school and middle school. I gave this school one star because i feel it did not prepare me for high school in the least bit. At Hermosa I did not learn how to study for tests what so ever. This became evident when i failed me first midterm exam freshman year of high school. Sports or any type of social life was really non existent. After graduating from Hermosa you get thrown into the world of High school which socially and academically you are not very prepared for. I personally feel that Hermosa was supposed to prepare me for High school and give me a strong base to support myself with. I feel that Hermosa did not do this on many levels. BUT, it does give freedom to students that is very rare for American schools.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 20, 2009

I am a middle school student at Hermosa and I love my school. I admit, we do lack some rescources in areas of sports and extra curricular activities due to city education budgets. None the less, I believe we recieve a great education in not only acedemics, but also in areas of responsibility. The Montessori education we recieve allows students to be moral, responsible, independent, and educated. I love the tight community we have in the middle school and entire school. The teachers here are great, although there have been some problems with teachers in the past who weren't working out. Montessori isn't always perfect for everyone, teachers and students, but most students here thrive in the great enviroment here at Hermosa. I am proud to be a part of the Hermosa Montesoori family.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 19, 2009

Hermosa. A true Montessori school that nurtures the whole child. It is on a beautiful setting, with natural lighting in the classrooms. This school has become a family to us. The leadership and teachers are excellent. We have two children at this school with very different learning styles. One of the children was tested as gifted as well as LD/ADHD. The amount of care and attention he received helped him blossom. He has learned a great deal. Also he found a love of learning that he had lost prior to enrolling here. As a child of an educator, I could not be more pleased. Diversity and respect are shown and taught here from the preschool up to the end of 8th grade. In my time as a parent volunteer, I was impressed by the polite nature of the students as well as conversation. We are proud to be at Hermosa.

Posted September 17, 2008

This is a great school. It is one of the first in Tucson to have established itself as a Montessori School (God Bless Sheila) and has taken itself through the millenium. There are still teachers there that taught my kids in 1982. I do not think any other school in Tucson that started as a private school and has grown can say that. The newer teachers that have come in the last few years are amazing too. I have grandchildren that attend now and anyone who can find a way to guide their children to this school will have the chance to slow grow and be happy.

Posted September 24, 2007

My daughter is in preschool at Hermosa Montessori, for the second year, and we have had a great experience. I agree that the parent's are clique-y but I don't blame the school for that. My daughter's teacher focuses on the students, not on the parents, and she is amazing... we feel very lucky to have our child in this class. The principal respects and supports the teachers, but has an open door policy for any concerns from parents. Music was added this year- kindermusik- and so far seems a great addition. No after school sports or arts otherwise as far as I know. Parent involvement is not huge, although it is encouraged...

Posted August 17, 2007

We have been very disappointed in the lack of core Montessori teaching that occurs at this school Our child had attended a Montessori school in another state and we were thrilled with her academic progress. We wanted to continue this in Tucson, but found very few of Dr. Maria Montessori's principles taught by her teacher and found grace and courtesy severing lacking from the administration and staff. We have pulled our child out and enrolled her in another charter school with wonderful results. Please observe a class before you consider this school, if the Montessori philosophy is important to you.

Posted August 16, 2007

This is our second year in the Hermosa community, the excellence of this school shines through the faces of the children. My daughter is happy there and excelling in all she puts her mind to. There is some tension with parents. I don't play into it and am recomend this school and way of teaching to anyone with an open mind.

Posted May 1, 2007

This school is very misleading. Our experience was so bad we withdrew our child after one year. Talking to the teacher or administration got us nowhere. The parents are very clique-y and don't welcome newcomers.

Posted March 12, 2007

This year was my child's first year at Hermosa. Our family has been so pleased with our decision to send our child to this school. The teachers and staff have been wonderful and our child is learning and gaining more independence everyday through the Montessori philosophy taught here. Best decsion we ever made!

Posted March 9, 2007

Hermosa students that need extra help have their confidence systematically undermined. The school's principal demands zero accountability from her teachers. Hermosa did look good on paper, but sending my daughter there has turned out to be a huge mistake.

Posted January 27, 2007

The principal is nonresponsive. PE and art lack the basic resources.

Posted January 9, 2007

This is the fourth year my child has attended Hermosa. Overall I feel that Hermosa is an excellent school.I find the principal to be approachable and experienced. The teachers are motivated and invested in their classrooms. The emphasis is on nurturing and educating the whole child to become a productive member of society. The campus is lovely and kid friendly. There are numerous extracurricular activities provided including art, field trips, a swimming pool and music programs. Hermosa has a strong academic program and students are expected to work hard and take responsibility for their education and actions. This is a school truly grounded in the Montessori principles. I would not consider taking my child anywhere else!

Posted October 5, 2006

I have known the adventures of working within the educational arena of Tucson Public Schools for more than twenty five years. My family has been fortunate to have been a part of the Hermosa Montessori community for more than 20 years. Hermosa staff and administration embrace the whole child providing excellent leadership, and teaching quality, while touching their hearts as well. An unconditional acceptance and regard for all children exists. Administration and staff are receptive to making individual accomodations to ensure success. Parents are warmly welcomed, and encouraged to participate. The exposure to the arts has included numerous theatre and cultural enrichment events. Teachers extend themselves far beyond that which is required on a consistent basis implementing a sense of compassion to their 'lesson plans'. Without question the Hermosa Community enhances the lives of children and families. It is an adventure in excellence! We are lucky indeed!

Posted October 3, 2006

Families who value education in a small and 'private' school setting without cost will appreciate the approach the principal and faculty many of whom have been there since the day the school opened take to teaching children.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 25, 2006

My six grandchildren attend Hermosa Montessori.Our family has been actively involved in the school since our oldest grandchild started preschool--nine years ago. I have the highest respect for the entire staff of the school. Academically the school challenges the children. The school is a community where children are respected and nurtured. The whole child is educated. Special needs are met. Children are happy and growing into responsible well-educated caring adults. I couldn't imagine a better environment for my grandchildren. Music, art, and sports are included in the curriculum. Parents are actively involved in all aspects of the school.

Posted September 18, 2006

Hermosa Montessori is an outstanding school. I feel that my children are getting a top-notch education. They are not only exceeding academically, but are also learning about what it means to be intelligent, articulate, creative, civic-minded individuals. The school does not really offer the students any choices for music, art, sports, etc. I would like to see these programs start up at Hermosa. The parents at Hermosa seem very involved and interested in their children's educations. I do not like to Parent Organization, though. It is more of a fundraising group with little options for parents to become involved. Overall: What my children will gain from Hermosa far outweigh what they might have gotten at another school.

Posted September 17, 2006

I am a former student of Hermosa Montessori. It was a wonderful experience for me. I developed great relationships with the staff and teachers. I was more prepared than most of my peers for High School, and have found that the lessons I learned in Hermosa not only taught me about essential things such as grammar and math, but life lessons such as time managment and speaking skills. This is a truly wonderful school!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 3%N/A47%
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (520) 749-6087

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori