Public charter
Tucson, AZ

Posted September 27, 2013
This is our second year at Hermosa, with a child in pre-K and another in early elementary. After an initial adjustment period, we are all very happy with the school. Our preschooler has grown by leaps and bounds. Our second grader has had some pretty significant issues with her performance level--Her teachers identified the concerns right away, and we were met with a caring and knowledgeable multi-disciplinary team and timely and appropriate services. The staff at Hermosa has a long history of attention to seeing the child holistically and stays in touch with current brain and educational research in order to assure their teaching methods are effective -- The parent community is intelligent, involved, and supportive. This is a school environment that is true to all that is wonderful about Montessori and a fabulous school for so many reasons...

Hermosa Montessori Charter School 4

Posted July 22, 2013
I am actually a student of Hermosa Montessori and this year I will be attending 8th grade. My school is quite unique compared to other schools and isn't for everybody and sometimes it can be challenging completing work, but that only happens if you don't try or open your mind to this style of work and teaching. My teachers teach a year above our grade level so all of the students, including myself, learn above the standard. That might be another reason why people find it challenging. The only problem I have with this school is some of the teachers in the Middle School, which I am currently attending. The teachers at the Middle School are somewhat rude and lazy (slow, if you will). One of the teachers actually left the school to pursue a different carrier leaving us with a rude teacher, a slow teacher, and a new teacher who is hopefully really good as a teacher. Another problem I have with the school is that everyone just seems to retire or leave including the students. Other than that Hermosa is a great academic school and has excellent teaching standards in a friendly environment.

Hermosa Montessori Charter School 1

Posted October 27, 2012
Double standards run rampant at Hermosa, there is absolutely NO consistency in regards to disciplinary action taken by the administration. Teachers will "write up" one student for an infraction and "look the other way" on the same infraction by another student. This is also the case when disciplinary infractions are reviewed by the administration. Teachers go out of their way to help a few students and ignore the needs of other students, leaving them behind. What would Maria Montessori do?

Posted September 19, 2012
As a parent of a preschooler at Hermosa, and a parent volunteer in the classroom, I was so disappointed to read the negative parent review about the school and teacher. I don't know how long this family has been at Hermosa, but there are always 2 sides to every story. I have witnessed my child's teacher (Mary) handle many situations with children in the classroom. Each time she handled with love, patience and genuine concern for the children. Many other parents say the same about the other teachers. I do not know who their child's teacher is, but I have been around the school and involved in the parent organization long enough to see that the teachers at Hermosa are the most dedicated and loving teachers I have ever met. They go out of their way for the school and children and often on their own time. I have been so happy with my daughter's education and look forward to sending my other children when they are old enough. I am sorry this other parent has had such a negative experience, but I would consider that there are more issues going on than we know and the teachers need to look out for the entire community as a whole. As for me, I will continue to be an advocate for Hermosa!

Hermosa Montessori Charter School 1

Posted September 18, 2012
Our experience with Hermosa Pre-K has been horrible. Our child's teacher refuses to engage us at all, and has given all indication that she is NOT invested in our child's success. She has been rude, condescending, and detached. Our child recently experienced a significant transition and has struggled somewhat throughout that transition. Our child has not been aggressive or physically inappropriate, but has had some difficulties focusing and settling into the classroom environment. The school has been completely intolerant of this, they do not recognize that our child's struggles are temporary, and they have little investment in helping our child feel more comfortable and secure. Administrative staff have lied to us many times. Overall there appears to be a lack of adequate leadership to establish appropriate boundaries and expectations of professional conduct. We are shocked by the extreme lack of professionalism, integrity, and interpersonal warmth, especially given that they are teaching very young children. It does not surprise me that our child did not feel welcome or comfortable in this environment! This is not a school that I would recommend to everyone.

Posted June 29, 2012
We just finished our first year at Hermosa and we're looking forward to the Fall. I cannot imagine having my kids anywhere else. The environment is so calm and peaceful and both of my children grew so much in their first year. My daughter can be a very moody and difficult child and we noticed a lot of improvements with her over the year due to the conflict resolution that they practice in the classroom. My son has been a very strong reader and the teachers made sure to keep giving him work to do that was at his level even though and he was not held back in any way. We absolutely love the school, its leadership, and its staff!

Posted June 28, 2012
Our children are thriving at Hermosa, and we can't imagine a better school. They are learning advanced academics, enjoying the best fine arts program around, and getting individualized attention thanks to the amazing student:teacher ratio. More important than all of that, though, is that they feel safe, secure, welcome, and valued at Hermosa. The Montessori method encourages students to think for themselves, which develops their self-esteem and intrinsic motivation to learn. It's such a powerfully tranquil, joyful community that our children look forward to every day at Hermosa. In fact, they wish they had classes over the summer because they miss it so much! We absolutely LOVE Hermosa!!!

Posted February 22, 2012
My daughter hit a child and I was contacted by the administration immediately. Hitting is taken seriously at Hermosa and so I was told we needed to have a meeting to discuss the situation. We met and talked about what happened. The staff were very helpful and very understanding. They gave me some great tools to use at home, we came up with a strategy and we disciplined appropriately. That was over 5 months ago and we have not had any more problems. And the best part is that the tools we were given for this also helped with other behavior issues and now our daughter is thriving! Very few schools would take that kind of time to work with the parents. I love this school!!!

Posted February 05, 2012
We have been at Hermosa School for 3 years, and I have been involved as a parent in many programs and volunteering activities, including office tasks... I have always been quite welcome each time I proposed my help to the teachers or the administration... I'm so surprised other parents felt it in a different way...

Hermosa Montessori Charter School 3

Posted February 03, 2012
I feel bad about the parent that had issues at the school. We are currently at the school (3 years) and would agree that their is an extreme lack on the administration to deal with any type of conflict or the patience to deal with kids that may need more care. They do have a like it or leave mentality. I have seen several kids asked to leave or pushed to leave. Sadly, most of the amazing teachers have left or retired and in the past you could get a private school education here. However, the school has gone down hill, it truly could be an outstanding place. We are sad they are not open to even minimal constructive criticism. They do not welcome parental involvement, except for lunch monitors. We are looking into other alternatives for our kids next year.

Hermosa Montessori Charter School
12051 E. Ft. Lowell, Tucson, AZ  85749
Last modified Hermosa Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hermosa Montessori Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top